Wiki Posts
Search

Maldives v. Phuket v. Bangkok??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2011, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat
Maldives v. Phuket v. Bangkok??

I have a trip planned to the Maldives in Aug, but I'm concerned that I'm going to spend all that money just to sit in my hut and watch rain for 5 days... So, I've narrowed it down to two other realistic options (due to routing and timing) which are Phuket and Bangkok. And, yes, I know that the Maldives and Thailand are in two different parts of the world, but these are the options I have!

I also understand that Bangkok is 180 degrees from a relaxing beach vacation in the Maldives or Phuket, but I'm up for anything and not tied to a beach vacation. I'd be interested in hearing people's opinions! Any thoughts on how good the snorkeling is in Phuket these days? Or, what the weather is like in Phuket in Aug?
Old Jun 5, 2011, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Weather in Phuket in August is hot and if you go toward the end of the month - it can be real rainy.

If you plan to just snorkel and enjoy the beach, you might want to consider some alternate sites. Phuket is more oriented to SCUBA divers and those looking for 5-star resorts and tends to be more expensive.

Bangkok in rainy weather can be miserable because the city's traffic grinds to a crawl.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 9:35 pm

Programs: various
Neither snorkeling nor scuba is a good idea in Phuket in August--it is rainy and water is too stirred up to see anything. Also, water conditions can make beach swimming and boating rough and unsafe, even in Phang-Nga Bay and definitely the Andaman.

Consider the opposite side of the peninsula instead--look into Redang Island off East Coast of Malaysia. It's probably more quickly accessed by flying to KUL as your international gateway, but flying into BKK and then getting separate local ticketing south is also feasible, very possible on LCC's but there will be ground transportation then boat required for final access. Many people recommend Ko Samui but I am no longer one of them--you might try one of the other islands in that group such as Ko Tao. August weather on the Gulf side of Thailand is normally clearer and sunnier than Phuket side, but nothing is foolproof.

I don't have any problems with Bangkok in rainy weather. Bangkok traffic is ALWAYS at a crawl whether rain or shine. That's why there is subway and Skytrain and riverboat, which along with a little walking, can take a tourist to 90% of the key sights of interest without having to suffer in ground traffic.

Last edited by jiejie; Jun 5, 2011 at 9:44 pm
Old Jun 6, 2011, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Might I suggest Chiang Mai? It will be much more pleasant than Bangkok in August. And the traffic is never in the same realm as Bangkok's
Old Jun 6, 2011, 4:52 pm
Community Director Emerita

The Marriott Riverside allows the combo of easy access to Bangkok as well as leisurely days by the pool. Also, it's easy to book their car to take you on day trips such as Bridge over the River Kwai and Tiger Temple.

Le Meridien Khao Lak has a beautiful beach and is not in a touristic area as many of the Phuket hotels are.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 9:06 pm

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
Well I have been to all three and I did got o the Maldives in the summer and it did rain alot. Yes alot of money for rain.
I am hot on Vietnam right now! Lots of sunshine,good prices,easy to get to and some great hotels. Nha Thrang go now before it becomes really popular.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 9:32 pm

Programs: various
Khao Lak suffers from the same rainy weather in August as Phuket. And so much of Khao Lak shuts down in the off-season that things are almost too quiet. If you aren't renting a self-drive car and the rain is coming down, you are really trapped there, and at the mercy of what sparse (and expensive) transport there is. The national parks nearby will be a miserable leechy experience so no solace there. I don't recommend for this time period.

Above poster with the Vietnam idea might be on to something, though it is a little more work to get to than BKK and a visa is required for most nationalities, which might make a very short trip (under 1 week) not very cost-effective. And Nha TRANG is hardly undiscovered as a beach. Mui Ne might be a better bet, or further up the coast between Hoi An and Danang. Phu Quoc Island probably too rainy in August.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:23 am

My honeymoon was in the Maldives during August. The weather was fine -- YMMV. Would do it again in a heartbeat.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 7:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jiejie
I don't have any problems with Bangkok in rainy weather. Bangkok traffic is ALWAYS at a crawl whether rain or shine. That's why there is subway and Skytrain and riverboat, which along with a little walking, can take a tourist to 90% of the key sights of interest without having to suffer in ground traffic.
My experience has been that taxis become nearly impossible to get in rainy weather. I've waited at the concierge for 20+ minutes for a cab in the past.

Anyways, back to the OP's question. The Marriott Resort riverside is a good option, although if you're interested in beach activities then Hua Hin might be a better bet to find dry weather in August.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 9:31 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by jiejie
Neither snorkeling nor scuba is a good idea in Phuket in August--it is rainy and water is too stirred up to see anything. Also, water conditions can make beach swimming and boating rough and unsafe, even in Phang-Nga Bay and definitely the Andaman.

Consider the opposite side of the peninsula instead--look into Redang Island off East Coast of Malaysia. It's probably more quickly accessed by flying to KUL as your international gateway, but flying into BKK and then getting separate local ticketing south is also feasible, very possible on LCC's but there will be ground transportation then boat required for final access. Many people recommend Ko Samui but I am no longer one of them--you might try one of the other islands in that group such as Ko Tao. August weather on the Gulf side of Thailand is normally clearer and sunnier than Phuket side, but nothing is foolproof.

Totally agreed ! Redang will never let you down if you opt for Scuba. I love Redang.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 3:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Are you traveling alone? I've never been to the Maldives, but I thought it was primarily a couples/honeymoon destination. I think Bangkok is fine any time of year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.