Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chiang Mai vs. Luang Prabang

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: most of them
Originally Posted by italdesign
Awesome trip report. I enjoyed the photos.

I'm going in Jan 2017. I believe Chiang Mai is not too hot at that time. In fact I hear the mountains can get chilly. Is it the same for LP?

Do you think they are different enough to do both on one trip?
Yes, it will also be cool in LP as it is also in the mountains. When I was there in December it was cool at night and warm during the day. Which meant a good bit of fog in the morning which eventually lifted by around lunchtime.

Yes, they are certainly different enough to do both. Two or three days is plenty for most people when it comes to LP. The old town is small. You can walk from one end to the other in 20 minutes or so.
Old May 1, 2016, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by italdesign
Has anyone been to LP recently and can comment on the state of authenticity and tranquility?
I was there end february, for the 3rd time and 4 years after my last visit, and it still stay the same great place it was for my 1st and 2nd stays.
Old May 1, 2016, 8:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I was there end february, for the 3rd time and 4 years after my last visit, and it still stay the same great place it was for my 1st and 2nd stays.
Good to know!
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:38 pm

Siem reap ,Luang Prapang and Chiang mai

Hi,!
i am programming the same trip as you did in Asia .
Previous time:March 2019.

Do you have visited Chiang mai .Is it an amazing city as Luanag Prapang is ?

​​​​​​As iam hesitating between Chiang mai and Hanoi, Could you please inform me how did you planned your itinerary , and how would you planned it if it will be your first trip in this region.
Thank you in advance.
Riadhou
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:07 pm

Nothing wrong with Chiang Mai, but from a tourist standpoint I'd say Hanoi has a lot more character, and great food.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Riadhou
​​​​​​As iam hesitating between Chiang mai and Hanoi, Could you please inform me how did you planned your itinerary , and how would you planned it if it will be your first trip in this region.
Thank you in advance.
Riadhou
I've have been to both multiple times. I would reccomend visiting Trip Advisor and making sure to visit the top 10 sights of each city. In Chiang Mai that will consist of many temples and the night market. Optional elephant park or zoo. In Hanoi that will include walking around the lake, visiting the Temple of Literature, a few museums and seeing Ho Chi Minh. Both cities have optional day trips that you can take, both have international airports, both have food tours and cooking classes.

They are both touristy towns and you should not have trouble with people speaking English or restaurants with English/picture menus. Hotels can range from $10-$50 per night for midrange options, and can go way up from there. I also reccomend looking up the local specialty food dishes and trying those, but if you do a food tour, they will probably feed you those items. If you cannot eat certain foods, you should still be okay in either city.

Either option should be fine. If you have a low budget, you will probably spend less in Hanoi, but a Halong Bay side trip would quickly eat away any money savings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.