Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chiang Mai vs. Luang Prabang

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2011, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
OP checking in -- thanks for the all input. I ended up opting for LPQ -- early June. Looking forward to it.

At the risk of derailing this into an Angkor Wat guide thread, if anyone has any guide recommendations, etc. . . . let me know by PM or here. Thanks. Y
Old Feb 23, 2011, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
The hotel is quite interesting also, I stayed there two nights. I very much like the restaurant. Thanks for mentioning it.
+1 ^ I stayed there also and I really liked the hotel. I had a room with a terrace with 4 armchairs, on the backgarden. Very pleasant. I would definitely go back there for my next stay in LPQ.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 5:31 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by Goldorak
+1 ^ I stayed there also and I really liked the hotel. I had a room with a terrace with 4 armchairs, on the backgarden. Very pleasant. I would definitely go back there for my next stay in LPQ.
Mine only had two chairs on the garden but there were only two of us anyway. What delightful people also.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 9:11 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Deleted

Last edited by DLATL777; Jan 8, 2012 at 9:24 am
Old Mar 16, 2012, 2:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver, A3 Gold, EK Gold, HH Gold, Sixt Dmd
Luang Prabang is tha sh*t. GO THERE, you won't regret it. Chiang Mai is great too, don't get me wrong. Do both if you can, but if you're going to choose one, Luang Prabang. I haven't met anyone who has been to Laos and didn't love it, and those who say Chiang Mai I bet never have been to Laos.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I pretty much have to agree with the tone of the thread. Go to Luang Prabang and go now... There are definitely good photo subjects - the night market (there are some non-tourist kiosks!), the market, the monk procession, temples, silk workshops, boats and many nearby areas accessible on foot, cycle or boat.

A place to eat that's nice is Tum Tum Cheng, (iirc also operates a cooking school and guest house,) and Peter's wife Elisabeth (from Hungary) has a nice gallery with some decently-made clothing to take home. You can get as touristy as you want, but you can get away and get 1:1 with genuine people and see some lovely sights - for now.

(Then again, I am the kind of person who can spend half a day or more with some weavers learning about silk preparation, dyestuff preparation, etc. and take some nice personal photos as well - and try to send some back after I get home as well.)
Old Mar 26, 2012, 5:40 pm

I have been to both cities, Luang Prabang in 2009, and Chiang Mai in 2010. There was nothing wrong with Chiang Mai, but in Thailand, I prefer the energy of Bangkok. Luang Prabang is quiet, but awesome. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there, and upon my advice, my brother is going there this Summer. It is just the kind of place that has to be visited to be believed. The massages are cheap and fantastic, and sitting along the Mekong River with a Beer Lao and a bowl of yellow curry rice is quite close to Utopia. I have been to much of Asia, but Luang Prabang is definitely near the top in terms of my favorite place visited.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by boddicker52
....The massages are cheap and fantastic, and sitting along the Mekong River with a Beer Lao and a bowl of yellow curry rice is quite close to Utopia.....
Yellow curry rice? Why not have some Lao cuisine like sai ua or tom maak hung?
Old Mar 28, 2012, 5:27 pm

Maybe I did.... Who knows, it all tastes good!
Old Apr 29, 2016, 3:23 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
I seem to agree with everyone else. Luang Prabang is not the nice village it once was, but it is still picturesque and the temples are unique. It will not be so nice five years from now. jiejie has my agreement too. I saw much of this area for the first time decades ago, and loved the undeveloped atmosphere. You can get a little bit of that near, but not in, Luang Prabang. River trips can be arranged to give you more of that feeling.
The aforementioned 5 years is upon us, and I'm faced with the same question as OP: CM, LP, or both.

Has anyone been to LP recently and can comment on the state of authenticity and tranquility?

Before I learned about LP, I was planning to go to Chiang Mai for 5-7 days. I would be based in the city (Le Meridien Chiang Mai), splitting the days between in city and day trips to elephant sanctuary, hill tribes, wats, mountains, and other treks. I am drawn to the nature, wildlife, temples, history, and culture. And I love Thai massage.

Not a fan of crowds. Don't care for nightlife but love a romantic stroll.

With that in mind, I'm wondering if it makes sense to see both places. It seems clear that LP > CM in tranquility (at least from 5 yrs ago). How about in terms of elephant experience? Nature? Massage? Other areas?

Is there any reason to go to CM if I'm already going to LP?

If not, then my thought is to do LP and maybe something else different, if I have extra time.

This is for January 2017. This would be the finale of a trip that also includes Singapore and HK.

Last edited by italdesign; Apr 29, 2016 at 3:42 am
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:30 am

Well, there is this travel alert : https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...vel-alert.html
But that alert is supposed to expire in June.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
I also prefer Luang Prabang because it's considerably smaller than CM (Thailand's second city) and is more tropical in appearance. Laos is considerably poorer than Thailand, but it has many things in common with it's larger neighbor. The small 2* guesthouses down past the post office are wonderful, inexpensive and friendly. You should download the free maps of Laos and LP at hobomaps.com
Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: most of them
I was in LP back in December. Happened to be there for the 20th anniversary of UNESCO listing parade. The old town itself is still much the same as it was several years ago. That's the good thing about UNESCO status. There are many more hotels and guesthouses which I think is a positive thing. And the Kuang Si waterfalls are still spectacular. My trip report is linked below.

The State Dept. travel warning does not apply to LP town.

Chiang Mai is the second largest city in Thailand. But compared to Bangkok it is tiny. The old town (inside the moat) is still fairly quiet. And it's pretty walkable. I spent a few days there a couple of year ago and stayed at a hotel in the old part of town. It was nice for being able to walk to some of the old temples. And there are plenty of tuktuks if you get tired of walking.

I like them both. There are some interesting day trips and things to see around CM. LP is more quiet, lots smaller and I think slightly more interesting.

When are you planning to go? That might matter.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 10:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by glennaa11
I was in LP back in December. Happened to be there for the 20th anniversary of UNESCO listing parade. The old town itself is still much the same as it was several years ago. That's the good thing about UNESCO status. There are many more hotels and guesthouses which I think is a positive thing. And the Kuang Si waterfalls are still spectacular. My trip report is linked below.

The State Dept. travel warning does not apply to LP town.

Chiang Mai is the second largest city in Thailand. But compared to Bangkok it is tiny. The old town (inside the moat) is still fairly quiet. And it's pretty walkable. I spent a few days there a couple of year ago and stayed at a hotel in the old part of town. It was nice for being able to walk to some of the old temples. And there are plenty of tuktuks if you get tired of walking.

I like them both. There are some interesting day trips and things to see around CM. LP is more quiet, lots smaller and I think slightly more interesting.

When are you planning to go? That might matter.
Awesome trip report. I enjoyed the photos.

I'm going in Jan 2017. I believe Chiang Mai is not too hot at that time. In fact I hear the mountains can get chilly. Is it the same for LP?

Do you think they are different enough to do both on one trip?
Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:09 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Definitely Chiang Mai. LPQ is but a tourist-infested destination, and the prices reflect that as well. There are simply too many tourists for what little LPQ has to offer in the first place to be worth the trip. Also, Laotian street food - if you dare eat it - is nowhere as good or hygienic as Thai street food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.