Chiang Mai vs. Luang Prabang

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chiang Mai vs. Luang Prabang

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2011, 9:44 am

Programs: various
This thread is bringing back interesting comparative memories, I can remember living in Chiang Mai (1967) when it wasn't much more than an overgrown village like Luang Prabang. CM with only 50K people total--including maybe 500 foreigners living there--was one cool little backwater then with the nicest people anywhere. Definitely go to LP now.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:28 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by jiejie
This thread is bringing back interesting comparative memories, I can remember living in Chiang Mai (1967) when it wasn't much more than an overgrown village like Luang Prabang. CM with only 50K people total--including maybe 500 foreigners living there--was one cool little backwater then with the nicest people anywhere. Definitely go to LP now.
Do I know you? I was there for a few weeks in 1967 also, when I made my grand tour of Thailand and Laos driving my Mazda Familia. I lived in the tiny fishing village of Pattaya at the time.

As the saying goes, "you can't go back..."
Old Feb 16, 2011, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Without quetion, Luang Prabang over Chiang Mai.

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
Do I know you? I was there for a few weeks in 1967 also, when I made my grand tour of Thailand and Laos driving my Mazda Familia. I lived in the tiny fishing village of Pattaya at the time.

As the saying goes, "you can't go back..."
Not to encourage drift, but do either of you have any pictures you'd be willing to share? That sounds incredible! Recently read that Thailand in ~1970 or so saw fewer tourists a year than Myanmar did last year.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 4:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by DownTheRappitHole
do either of you have any pictures you'd be willing to share? That sounds incredible! Recently read that Thailand in ~1970 or so saw fewer tourists a year than Myanmar did last year.
My spouse is searching for them. Angor Wat at the time had just the Royal Guest house (now the Raffles), most famous tourist places were just villages. Pattaya, where I lived, had a very few foreign residents, among them people who operated three restaurants, and the then-famous Nipa Lodge. The only glamor was the king's residence where we often saw the royal kids (two decades later they Queen stayed often in our building in Park City, Utah on the Deer valley slopes and one of the royal children recognized us).

Luang Prabang was mostly notable then for an infamous allegedly CIA base nearby. Chiang Mai was a delightful mountain town.

If we find the photos how do you want them?
Old Feb 16, 2011, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that

Luang Prabang was mostly notable then for an infamous allegedly CIA base nearby.
You're speaking of Long Cheng I believe, which is a good bit away from LP, to the southeast. Home of Isaan Air .

I've heard that area can be accessed without too much hassle on a good dirt bike. But from Vang Vieng rather than LP.

On another note, Vang Pao recently died, another chapter of that era gone.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by DownTheRappitHole
Not to encourage drift, but do either of you have any pictures you'd be willing to share? That sounds incredible! Recently read that Thailand in ~1970 or so saw fewer tourists a year than Myanmar did last year.
Gaboodles of fascinating pictures from that time. Unfortunately, they are mostly in slide format and at my parent's home in the USA. One of my projects over the next year or so will be to get digital conversions done to preserve these images. The ones of my dad standing out in the middle of northern Thailand opium poppy fields next to proud hill tribe farmers in full traditional dress are a scream. Ah, memories...

My spouse is searching for them. Angor Wat at the time had just the Royal Guest house (now the Raffles), most famous tourist places were just villages. Pattaya, where I lived, had a very few foreign residents, among them people who operated three restaurants, and the then-famous Nipa Lodge.

Luang Prabang was mostly notable then for an infamous allegedly CIA base nearby. Chiang Mai was a delightful mountain town.
The Nipa Lodge! I'm amazed anybody still remembers, although I think the buildings still exist in Pattaya, maybe under another name. Lots of people don't know that the long-time (recently retired) manager of the Oriental Hotel in Bangkok--Kurt Wachtveitl--started out at the Nipa Lodge. And yes, CM was a delightful town, though actually living there was pretty simple and spartan and we had to do without a lot. Back then, both Luang Prabang and Siem Reap were much more difficult to access than today. And not entirely safe. Actually, even far north Thailand was not completely safe and under government control, what with opium warlords, Communist guerrillas, the CIA, and various other ne'er-do-wells roaming around up there.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:29 pm
Suspended

If we find the photos how do you want them?
Anyway you'd be willing to share them would be awesome. Definitely a different time which I'd love to hear more about.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gaboodles of fascinating pictures from that time. Unfortunately, they are mostly in slide format and at my parent's home in the USA. One of my projects over the next year or so will be to get digital conversions done to preserve these images. The ones of my dad standing out in the middle of northern Thailand opium poppy fields next to proud hill tribe farmers in full traditional dress are a scream. Ah, memories...

The Nipa Lodge! I'm amazed anybody still remembers, although I think the buildings still exist in Pattaya, maybe under another name. Lots of people don't know that the long-time (recently retired) manager of the Oriental Hotel in Bangkok--Kurt Wachtveitl--started out at the Nipa Lodge. And yes, CM was a delightful town, though actually living there was pretty simple and spartan and we had to do without a lot. Back then, both Luang Prabang and Siem Reap were much more difficult to access than today. And not entirely safe. Actually, even far north Thailand was not completely safe and under government control, what with opium warlords, Communist guerrillas, the CIA, and various other ne'er-do-wells roaming around up there.
It would be fascinating if you converted and posted those pics. History is more meaningful with visions to go with the words and thoughts.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 5:19 am

I believe we even have some pictures taken in Chiang Mai at an elephant show, when the King and Queen of Thailand came up to CM hosting the Shah of Iran and Empress. As part of the small foreign contingent in CM then, invites went out. If only we knew then what history had in store some years later....
Old Feb 18, 2011, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe we even have some pictures taken in Chiang Mai at an elephant show, when the King and Queen of Thailand came up to CM hosting the Shah of Iran and Empress. As part of the small foreign contingent in CM then, invites went out. If only we knew then what history had in store some years later....
What an incredible childhood. WOW!
Old Feb 19, 2011, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
What an incredible childhood. WOW!
+1 Amazing! I hope you can find photos. We would love to see them, as we would your father consorting with the poppy producers.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 1:33 pm

Waiting for any picture of you guys are willing to share.
The more i read your comments about how it used to be (and i am not only thinking about Asia), the more i wish i could have travelled 30 or 40 years ago...
Old Feb 23, 2011, 2:42 pm

My photos are in another house we do not often visit, so my spouse discovered. It will be some time before I will be able to retrieve them.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by dsquared37
My recommendation would be to skip any and all restaurants on the main street. Between being overpriced and under qualitied (yes i know it's not a word but you get the drift) these are almost completely a losing proposition... even if they are full of patrons.
On the main street, the restaurant of the boutique hotel "les 3 nagas" is excellent
Old Feb 23, 2011, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
On the main street, the restaurant of the boutique hotel "les 3 nagas" is excellent
The hotel is quite interesting also, I stayed there two nights. I very much like the restaurant. Thanks for mentioning it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.