Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Halong Bay Cruise Recommendation

Halong Bay Cruise Recommendation

Old May 20, 2010, 2:10 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Priority Club Ambassador, HHonors Gold, Krisflyer
In my opinion, the ONE and ONLY cruise in Halong Bay is the Emeraude, it's a refurbished steamboat that evokes the old days of IndoChina.

I suggest that you check it out: http://www.emeraude-cruises.com/

We had a superb time on the cruise.
Old May 20, 2010, 4:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ManUtd99
In my opinion, the ONE and ONLY cruise in Halong Bay is the Emeraude, it's a refurbished steamboat that evokes the old days of IndoChina.
Probably true 5 years ago, but now I wouldnt even put them in the top ten given the number of new luxury boats on the bay.

In any event, I dont believe their cabin comes with private balconies and their itinerary provides very little time on the bay compared with the other options.

And how would a refurbished "steamboat" evokes the old days of IndoChina
If I am not wrong , the "steamboat" was reconditioned and imported into Vietnam, never seen another "steamboat" in any other part of IndoChina.
Old May 20, 2010, 9:46 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mario33
In any event, I dont believe their cabin comes with private balconies...
The suites have private balconies. The standard cabins do not.

And how would a refurbished "steamboat" evokes the old days of IndoChina
If I am not wrong , the "steamboat" was reconditioned and imported into Vietnam, never seen another "steamboat" in any other part of IndoChina.
As for the Emeraude's history, you can read it here:

http://www.emeraude-cruises.com/full_history.pdf

Last edited by l etoile; May 20, 2010 at 9:55 am
Old May 20, 2010, 9:52 am

Programs: various

I suggest that you check it out: http://www.emeraude-cruises.com/

We had a superb time on the cruise.
Somebody like me can't afford the Emeraude, and when travelling alone, that's not the best kind of boat to go on anyway. For people who can't blow that kind of money, or who want to be on a more congenial cruise with decent facilities and good food, but with a bit wider range of people to mingle with, Handspan's are still one of the better options.

Last edited by gleff; May 21, 2010 at 4:47 am Reason: removed personal unpleasantry
Old May 20, 2010, 5:21 pm

You are indeed wrong. Completely.
Old May 20, 2010, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by jiejie
<redacted> Somebody like me can't afford the Emeraude, and when travelling alone, that's not the best kind of boat to go on anyway. For people who can't blow that kind of money, or who want to be on a more congenial cruise with decent facilities and good food, but with a bit wider range of people to mingle with, Handspan's are still one of the better options.
It is up for the respective FT member to do the necessary checks whether the suggestion on the Emeraude is conducive for his or her requirements. Note that my suggestion is for the consideration of all FT members.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 10, 2012 at 7:20 am Reason: removed personal comment / redacted deleted post content
Old May 20, 2010, 9:04 pm
Suspended

You are indeed wrong. Completely.
Alright, it wasnt imported into Vietnam (based on the article) but it wasnt a typical mode of transportation in the "Old Indochina" either.

Over the years I must have been to Halong Bay probably half a dozen times, and I must say the Emeraude sticks out like a sore thumb, I would imagine the same in the "Old Indochina" as well though I wasnt there at that time. Cant imagine a "steamboat" gliding down the Mekong ....
Old May 21, 2010, 12:48 am

Over the years I must have been to Halong Bay probably half a dozen times, and I must say the Emeraude sticks out like a sore thumb
Er, why do you think so? The Vietnamese certainly disagree. The Vietnamese Prime Minister had hosted fellow Heads of Government on it during the last ASEAN Summit in April.

Last edited by gleff; May 22, 2010 at 8:23 am Reason: removed personal sniping
Old May 21, 2010, 5:01 am
Suspended

Er, why do you think so? The Vietnamese certainly disagree. The Vietnamese Prime Minister had hosted fellow Heads of Government on it during the last ASEAN Summit in April.
Using a particular facility to host an event is of no relevance, decisions are made based on practical reasons; in this case probably bacause no other boat/junk has a large enough hall. If the Vietnamese really share your opinion, Halong Bay would be full of "steamboats" by now. The last time I counted, it was still one "steamboat" the Emeraude.

I am not saying the Emeraude is a bad choice, just that its no longer the premier boat on the bay as you have claimed. I also feel its out of sync with the environment, its like having London black cabs roaming the streets of Hanoi. I have been on a few boats on the bay, and have no emotional attachment to any boat, its scenery on the bay that I enjoy.

I actually wanted to try it once but they couldnt accomodate my preference for staying on the bay longer; you disembark quite early in the morning and even if I wanted to do 2 nights they insisted that I have to disembark and reboard again after a few hours on land. The Emeraude is not for those who truly appreciates the beauty of Halong Bay; more for the first time tourists with disillusioned picture of Indochina, anyone for cooking class ....

Last edited by gleff; May 22, 2010 at 8:24 am Reason: removed personal sniping
Old May 21, 2010, 10:08 pm
Suspended

It has lost its premier status because there are now many other cruises which offer better amenities and itineraries, compared to a few years ago when the only other overnight alternatives were the $20 rat-infested junks meant for backpackers.

Having done the bay several times, and if one truly appreciates the surroundings, the most enjoyable part of these overnight cruises are the 2-3 hrs in the morning when it cruises around bay before heading back to the harbour, and you are served lunch/brunch before disembarking at around noon. I believe the Emeraude is back at the harbour by around 9 in the morning, its probably the cruise with the shortest overnight cycle on the bay.

Last edited by gleff; May 22, 2010 at 8:26 am Reason: removed quote of and reply to deleted post
Old May 22, 2010, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
This thread was briefly closed for moderator review and cleanup.

I've just done some significant cleanup of this thread, deleting whole posts and personal attacks from other replies.

I'm now re-opening this thread. Please keep in mind that the subject is recommendations for Halong Bay Cruises. That's a topic meant for helpful suggestions.

Offer your thoughts and recommendations, your experiences and preferences, your past trips whether or good bad. Thoughts on cost, booking, experience are all welcome.

This is not a thread for personal attacks and hitting below the belt. Certainly folks have disagreements over what is best, what constitutes best, and what would constitute an 'authentic' experience. but those conversations can be held without getting personally wrapped up in the outcomes.

And remember that the personal sniping (1) is not helpful to those looking for suggestions (2) reflects poorly on the person making those sniping comments and (3) jeopardizes one's posting privileges on Flyertalk.

With that, I now return you to your regularly scheduled topic for further discussion.

Regards,
Gary
aka gleff
Senior moderator
Old Nov 26, 2011, 9:46 am

my girlfriend an I are going to Hanoi in 2 weeks. We made tentative plas with Paloma Cruises for Halong Bay during our trip. We are planning on the 3 day 2 night trip.

http://palomacruise.com/

Has anyone used this company before? Any reviews/recs for us?
Old Nov 26, 2011, 10:09 pm

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
Just to follow up, we ended up going with Prince Junk. Had a good trip, plenty of kayaking, and there were only 4 people on the boat (capacity is 8). We got along well with the other 2 people so this was fine, but even if we didn't get along, it's a big enough boat (if there are 4 people). Service was outstanding, and most of the time, we were alone in the bays we were in. I would go on this boat again and I recommend them. It was a great trip, and MissKok had just flown from the US to Bangkok the night before so relaxing on a boat is a good way to get over jetlag.

Prince Junk would be outstanding for a group of 4-8 people that know each other.

The other couple payed slightly less than the $250 pp we paid, but I think they also booked a bunch of other things with their agent, so that might have contributed to their discount. YMMV.
Huge fan of Prince Junk myself, did a lot of investigation and settled on Prince Junk (or any sister ship from Indochina Junks). They go to a much less touriseted Bai Tu Long Bay (basically you head in the opposite direction but similar geography, food is just amazing as is the views and because there are much fewer boats you feel alone and there is much less pollution.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:58 pm

I am planning a one night cruise in December. Emeraude looks nice, but I've read bad reviews about their food. How's Bhaya? Could you guys recommend any other larger ship, please?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 1:00 am

Have a look at Indochina Junk. My partner and I did the two night cruise last September and it was fantastic. We would have like an extra night or two. Cabins are lovely and spacious and the views are spectacular. We booked the 22 birth Junk, can't remember the name, and only two other couples aboard which made it all the better. Had so much fun together, lots of fine food and drink. It really was a highlight of our four weeks away. I would do it all again and with the same company. We booked online from Australia.
Happy travels.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.