Search

Travelling around taiwan

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2009, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EP 2.1MM; Bonvoy LT-Plat; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond
Travelling around taiwan

Hello,

I'm curious to know if anyone has good ideas on how to travel around the island of taiwan to visit the various cities. What cities are most prominent and what methods are the best of doing so?

any help will be greatly appreciated.. tks
Old Nov 29, 2009, 2:24 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the discussion as the thread moves to our Travel->Asia forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
The majority of the major cities in Taiwan (Taipei, Banciao, Chiayi, Taichung, Zuoying/Kaohsiung, among others) are easily accessible on Taiwan's high speed rail (HSR) system, which is very easy to use and figure out. You can buy your tickets in most stations at kiosks that take credit cards and have instructions in English. Also, once on the train, upcoming station info is given in both Mandarin and English, as is signage on the train platforms.

For other touristic sites, like Hualien in the northeast, or for other cities, like Tainan, the HSR will not get you there. You can reach Tainan via cab from Kaohsiung, for example -- but you will need to have at least a phrasebook handy and the address already written out in Chinese characters, as the driver likely will not speak English. I didn't make it out to Hualien, so hopefully someone else can provide info on the best ways to get there.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA, CX, BR
The high-speed system goes down the west coast, where most major cities are. The regular rail system goes around the island, and is easy to use, just slower. That will get you to Hualian and other east coast cities. The bus system is also very well developed, and goes to interior spots as well.

Are you sure you're interested in visiting cities here *around the island*? While each city has some local features--historic sites, food, etc.--they are much of a sameness. Whereas the mountains are spectacular. If the point is to go around the island, this has been done by car, bus, bike, train, foot, hitchhiking (me), and at least once by kayak (definitely not me).
Old Nov 30, 2009, 9:19 am
Suspended

Try this. Taichung. Chingjing, Lishan, Yilan, Taipei. Great round trip and amazing things to see and do. When you get back to taipei go to Danshua and come bach after dark and go to the night market on route. Hualien and the Taroko gorge are out of bounds right now as are the other cross highways due to Typhoon damage.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:10 am

Can you sign up for a tour? Can't be that expensive. I was on "Love Boat". At the end of the program, we did a tour of the island. Taipei is clearly the highlight of the island IMO.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 10:06 am
Suspended

get googling there is tons of advise and links
Old Sep 13, 2014, 4:08 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Looking to visit Taiwan in 2015, trying to figure out a few things about travelling by rail. Maybe HA will have the HNL <-> TPE route back up by then?

Most interested in taking the “Formosa Express” (環島之星), which seems to me like a nice take of the touristy "Joyful Trains" the JRs does in Japan with old railcars rebuilt for excursions.

Next, the Taroko Express, Puyuma Express, and Taiwan High-Speed Rail are all of interest. I'm still shocked at how little they charge for the THSR cars compared to the same distance on any Shinkansen service in Japan.

My understanding is that the Formosa Express is some sort of joint venture/license thing with a tour operator, and you have to book it through them? The closest thing I got was http://activities.his-vacation.com/j...af/TPE0129.htm here HIS was reselling some seats.

What's not clear to me is how the train is setup. Is it all reserved, all pre-booked? Is there a regular Taiwan Railway car or two hitched onto the end? Can regular car passengers access the cafe car? I've been reading conflicting reports and its very confusing.

The train looks great and everything, but what I'm trying to ask is can I get an all-reserved, all-green car experience without people from the non-reserved regular car crowding up places like the cafe car?
Old Sep 13, 2014, 9:34 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Would anyone recommend Chingjing, Lishan and Yilan even in late November?
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: most of them
The only train I have taken in Taiwan is the HSR train down the west coast. I went from Taipei to Tainan and back. It is fast and smooth. And as you say it is pretty cheap. You can get from the Tainan HSR station to the central railway station in town via a quick local train connection that is pretty easy. Useful wifi connection on the train.

I also thought about taking one of the tourist trains in central Taiwan but my guide/friend there talked me out of it. The schedules seemed to not be very useful. I think landslides have also wiped out some of the tracks in some places so you need to confirm the train you are interested in is actually still in operation. We did drive to one or two of the small tourist towns along the railroad tracks and they were very popular on the weekend. I'd have to dig out the itinerary to remember which towns.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.