Ushuaia or Calafate

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2008, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Ushuaia or Calafate

I have 4 days and 3 nights in November.
which one would you pick and why?
the rest of the time I will be in Buenos Aires.
This is not my firt time to Argentina but its the first time to the Patagonia Austral.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, BA, AC, CX, AS, DL, AF(gold), IHG(plt), SPG(gold), HHONORS, .
Originally Posted by keisari
I have 4 days and 3 nights in November.
which one would you pick and why?
the rest of the time I will be in Buenos Aires.
This is not my firt time to Argentina but its the first time to the Patagonia Austral.
Pick El Calafate .
I was in both places ( in ushuaia 3 years ago and in el calafate 2 months
ago.)
There is not much to do or see in Ushuaia.The only thing you can boast
about is that you are in the most southern city in the world .They call it
" fin del mundo ".
Now for El Calafate : It is the gateway for the Parque nacional de glaciares
( 2 hours by car or bus )
The glaciers and in particular the PERITO MORENO glacier will be one of the
most amazing sights you will have ever seen.
On the first day , take the day tour to the PERITO MORENO and I suggest
you include also a mini trekking on the glacier.
On the second day , do the navigation tour to several other glaciers.
( on a large catamaran boat ) . You will see a lot of icebergs floating on
the water , some of them huge.
Good luck

Michael
Old Apr 6, 2008, 4:05 pm

I agree, there isn't all that much to see in Ushuaia. The glaciers in El Calafate are not to be missed.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 7:23 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Wirelessly posted (Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

Its a no brainer... forget Ushuaia.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Thank you everybody. Its Calafate then. I would like to visit Bariloche again and maybe could combine it with Calafate.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by keisari
Thank you everybody. Its Calafate then. I would like to visit Bariloche again and maybe could combine it with Calafate.
Thanks for the thread! We decided to cut Ushuaia from our trip due to time and am now planning our trip to Barlioche and Calafate in Feb 2009. Hoping to stay at the Hotel Llao Llao and Kosten Aike in those two cities, respectively.

BTW, has anyone else noticed that LAN Argentina is no longer flying to Ushuaia or Calafate? They tell me that they closed these routes in Jan 2008...oneworld.come still lists them as valid though.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 12:48 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, NWA US, BA
Was just in both locations last month and totally agree. I would just add that if you have time while in Calafate, it's worth getting to El Chalten for a day. I took the early bus there, stayed the night and then took the bus back late in the day the next day. In hindsight I would have cut a day out of Ushuaia to stay one day longer in El Chalten, it was really spectacular. The lakes, the mountains, amazing hiking, and all the trails start right in the town. It felt to me like what the frontier must have been like before it was developed... it's worth seeing now before it does get built up once the road between Chalten and Calafate is finished. Also surprisingly good food for being so isolated.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 11:06 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
One other thing to remember about these parts of Argentina... they are expensive.

Yes, even for folks doing your math in US Dollars, prices will not be budget. Especially in El Calafate, prices are comfortable only if you can do your math in Euros... else, you will notice the considerable price difference compared to what you would be spending in Buenos Aires.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.