Best steak house in Buenos Aires

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best steak house in Buenos Aires

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Thanks for the additional info -- those meal presentations are so much alike, I wonder if the restaurants have the same owners? I think the La Cholita folks also operate Las Cabritas in Las Cańitas, a few blocks up from Las Cholas where you ate.

Edited to add: After posting the above, I had a "duh" moment, Las Cholas and La Cholita, of course, must be different locations of the same place.

What's a 'chola', anyway? My dictionary says someone of mixed race, native and European, but perhaps there's a more familiar meaning in Bs As? In US Spanish slang, it's a latina gangbanger.

Last edited by ziobacio; Nov 10, 2012 at 2:26 pm
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by ziobacio
Edited to add: After posting the above, I had a "duh" moment, Las Cholas and La Cholita, of course, must be different locations of the same place.
Ah ha! That would make sense. This place was larger than the La Cholita place that you mentioned. Maybe that is the original and then they expanded here because of their success? I liked it. It was more moderately priced than the other places we ate at, but still really good.

Man, now I want a steak.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I must sadly report that La Brigada has completely left my radar. It isn't that I won't return if others must go there, but after tonight's dinner, I'm done.

Despite variable service and rising prices, it was always a dependable piece of cow. It kinda-sorta-still is. 3 of us were totally unimpressed tonight. Horrible, indifferent service. Meat was good, but not great. It was the most "not great" piece of asado especial that I've ever had there. The two lomos with sauces were fine, but not excellent. The salads were "ok." The wine list prices were eye poppers for me (I haven't been in awhile) but still, an acceptably decent (not fancy) bottle for US$20 is a deal - well, at a great exchange rate. Add 20% if you are getting the official rate, or using a credit card. I could have easily spent a fortune on a bottle there. (Or rather, you could - I wasn't going to.)

3 people - 3 pieces of meat, 2 salads, 1 order of potatoes (which they forgot and then brought out the wrong kind), 1 bottle of wine. No dessert, no starters ... oh, and water ... AR$800, including a small tip.

I could deal with the variable service over the years (from meh to great), and understand the cost of things, including a quality piece of beef these days, but I'm done.

Sayonara
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
3 people - 3 pieces of meat, 2 salads, 1 order of potatoes (which they forgot and then brought out the wrong kind), 1 bottle of wine. No dessert, no starters ... oh, and water ... AR$800, including a small tip.
Around CAD$60/each is pretty pricey and while not wanting to derail a thread about steak houses in BA, is this a high end restaurant or have prices jumped that much? I will have to adjust my budget for a planned trip back next year if it's the latter.

I was in BA last around 3 years ago and very much enjoyed a full meal at La Cholita with appetizer, main steak course, dessert and a huge frozen beer for around CAD$30 including a generous tip.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:18 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I must sadly report that La Brigada has completely left my radar. It isn't that I won't return if others must go there, but after tonight's dinner, I'm done.

Despite variable service and rising prices, it was always a dependable piece of cow. It kinda-sorta-still is. 3 of us were totally unimpressed tonight. Horrible, indifferent service. Meat was good, but not great. It was the most "not great" piece of asado especial that I've ever had there. The two lomos with sauces were fine, but not excellent. The salads were "ok." The wine list prices were eye poppers for me (I haven't been in awhile) but still, an acceptably decent (not fancy) bottle for US$20 is a deal - well, at a great exchange rate. Add 20% if you are getting the official rate, or using a credit card. I could have easily spent a fortune on a bottle there. (Or rather, you could - I wasn't going to.)

I could deal with the variable service over the years (from meh to great), and understand the cost of things, including a quality piece of beef these days, but I'm done.

Sayonara
Thank you for reporting this.... service has never been the forte of this place. Ive had my personal ups & downs with La Brigada, Hugo (the owner) has IMO gotten far too greedy in many ways and this has cost the place a lot of its historical "shine". Prices have never been bargain, but I must agree that 800 pesos for what you describe is indeed very close to highway robbery. Sounds like you may have been able to go to Cabania Las Lilas and spend a similar or marginally higher amount and had a better meal....?

(I cant believe I just posted that)
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by tcook052
Around CAD$60/each is pretty pricey and while not wanting to derail a thread about steak houses in BA, is this a high end restaurant or have prices jumped that much? I will have to adjust my budget for a planned trip back next year if it's the latter.

I was in BA last around 3 years ago and very much enjoyed a full meal at La Cholita with appetizer, main steak course, dessert and a huge frozen beer for around CAD$30 including a generous tip.
(1) It is not a high end restaurant. Actually there are 3 dining rooms and 2 are extremely casual in decor.

(2) From 3 years ago, you would be in sticker shock here in peso pricing. Inflation is quite serious and the currency exchange hasn't kept up. That said, there's not many places back home we'd have had that dinner for $45pp including tax/tip/wine.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:08 am
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
I am visiting Buenos Aires and Argentina for the first time. One of the biggest things I was looking forward to was eating wonderful steaks and drinking some nice Malbec. Unfortunately, I've been mostly disappointed in the beef. I've been here three nights so I'll recap my three experiences so far.

Parrilla Peńa
Rodriguez Peńa 682

My first and best experience. Parrilla Peńa was without a doubt the best restaurant I've been to thus far. The steak itself as well as the overall experience met my lofty expectations.

This restaurant brings every guest a delicious beef and olive empanada to start. It was a great beginning. Golden brown, flaky crust, delicious filling... After which came my provoleta. This was heavenly! It had a delicious crust from the grill and was nicely seasoned. Unbelievable how good this was-- much better than even Wisconsin fried cheese curds.

The main event was a 1/2 cut of ojo de bife. Wow... The beef was flavorful and perfectly grilled. It arrived a beautiful medium rare with a warm, red center but still had that glorious grilled exterior. This made me a believer in the glory of Argentine beef. Accompanying the steak I had french fries. They were better than average but I didn't really eat too many of them-- I was starting to get full.

Dessert was their famous tiramisu. It was one of the better renditions of this classic dessert I've had. Good balance between the perfectly soaked lady fingers and creamy mascarpone.

The service was very good here. My waiter was very helpful and patient with me. He was also quite attentive and efficient. I had him choose my wine and he picked a very nice half bottle of Malbec for me. The atmosphere led to a sense of authenticity to this gringo tourist, with a dining room full of old men. It was also very easy on the wallet. The bill was around 200 pesos.

This is the one parrilla that I want to go back to again and again and again.

La Cholita
Rodriguez Peńa 1165

This parrilla was selected by my local friend. It was a great atmosphere-- modern and rustic at the same time. Unfortunately my friend wasn't very hungry, so we cut straight to the main event.

I ordered the bife de chorizo. It was ordered by my friend and he specified jugoso. The steak came out past medium rare almost to medium. The beef itself was good. I feel the Parrilla Peńa meat was better but it's hard to compare since it was a different cut and cooked properly there. Accompanying the steak was mashed potatoes (I don't know why I wasn't given french fries, as was stated on the menu) and mashed calabaza. The calabaza especially was wonderful.

Service was tolerable and the food was very good. If my steak hadn't been overcooked, I think I would have been pretty happy. Plus, I paid less than 100 pesos for my share of the bill. Granted, that is for just a main course plus my share of a bottle of malbec and still water. Still, the prices are very fair here.

Don Julio
Guatemala 4691

This was meant to be the main event! I had done all the research and come up with this was one of the best current consensus picks from FlyerTalk, Chowhound, blogs, etc.

I walked in and immediately loved the atmosphere. It is rustic with the brick interior and leather table coverings, plus the autographed bottles of wine lining the walls. It's a very cool place.

The wine list here was big and was full of more artisanal producers. It is also higher priced than I've seen elsewhere.

I started with a beef empanada which was delicious. The crust was great and the filling was very nice. After the empanada, I had the provoleta. Unfortunately, while it was still delicious, it was not grilled as well as the Parrilla Peńa one. It didn't have that nice crustiness.

I ordered a half cut of the bife de chorizo. Along with that I ordered a green salad. The waiter tosses the salad for you tableside with oil, vinegar, and salt. When I saw the steak coming I was so excited!

Unfortunately, I suffered crushing disappointment. The beef itself was the worst of the three places. Also, again, my steak was overcooked. It was more pink than red. Such a tragedy... The salad was excellent though and the bread was the best I've had in Argentina.

Dessert was a classic chocolate mousse that was excellent. Very well executed and topped with some walnuts.

The service was fantastic here. Extremely attentive, very warm, and I felt like I was wanted as a guest. Unfortunately the food, while not bad, was not as good as the others. Coupled with the high prices here, I won't be back. My check was nearly 400 pesos.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:07 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Thanks! TransWorldOne for your detailed report. As written on this board, I am an advocate of Parilla Pena as well! Just the best experience hands down (on a consistent basis) that I have found in BsAs. Glad to hear that you enjoyed.. Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Nov 29, 2014, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat,
TransWorldOne, Thanks for the recommendation: We went to Parilla Pena our first night here, again the second night, and a third tonight! It is a very local place and you wont find many tourists there (which I love, but others may be turned off).

The steaks were cooked perfectly each time, very juicy and delicious. The empanada as a starter was one of the best ive had (and I tried from at least 10 differnt places so far). In terms of the menu, I would recommend the Ojo de Bife which was a value at 185 pesos for two large steaks. The Bife de Lomo was good too, but not as good as the ojo. We also enjoyed the Provollenta a oregeno (grilled chunk of cheese) which was really good. Also tried pork and blood sausage.

Service was great first two times, but tomight I had a waiter who was not as paitent with my spanish language skills, but food was great nonetheless.

Overall great no-frills but authentic atmosphere. Next time im back here, i will be back at Parilla Pena again.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 7:47 pm

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Best place for high-end dead Cow these days is either Le Grill or else La Cabania.... please do yourself a favour and STAY AWAY from Cabania Las Lilas....
Old Mar 15, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
please do yourself a favour and STAY AWAY from Cabania Las Lilas....
I second and suggest you also stay away from Don Julio. I lived 50 meters away from Don Julio for almost three years and went there only thrice - once I paid, twice with friends who were settling the bill for me. In my opinion it's just too expensive for the product they offer.

I know FT is an haute bourgeoisie kind of website, but if you are really into good meat and don't care that the place looks awful (because it does, although it's becoming a hipster "kitchen" these days), try Don Niceto at Niceto Vega between Godoy Cruz and Uriarte, in Palermo. I insist the place is run down and wine selection is just passable, but the meat they have is actually very very good, and the price is very reasonable.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
I agree with Gaucho100k, Le Grill is one of the best Steak Houses in Buenos Aires although a bit pricey. I like Happening Costanera too, they have a very good bife de chorizo and their salads are great (I like my steak with a salad rather than fries).
If anyone happens to be near Balcarce, you MUST go to Parrilla Ruta 55. Best steak house I've been to.

Last edited by tuchop; Mar 15, 2015 at 4:48 pm
Old Apr 5, 2015, 6:26 pm

Location: Naas at the weekend and FRA during the working week
Programs: EI Aer Club Concierge , BAEC Silver, Tesco clubcard
Hi Guys. I tried eating at Le Grill this evening but unfortunately it was closed when I got there. I decided to head to a local restaurant called Los Remolinos on Suipacha across the road from the El Conquistador Hotel which was recommended by a friend. Boy it was worth the trip. Fantastic steak cooked to perfection and a great Malbec to wash it down. I would recommend that you give it a try.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by tuchop
If anyone happens to be near Balcarce, you MUST go to Parrilla Ruta 55. Best steak house I've been to.
Thanks for this Tip... I will be going to Balcarce in the next few weeks so I will look up this place. Thanks again !! ^
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Thanks for this Tip... I will be going to Balcarce in the next few weeks so I will look up this place. Thanks again !! ^
Don't expect much from the place at first sight, its a normal place from the rural places. Not even presentation wise. But the quality and taste of products will blow you away.
My favourite:
Bife de chorizo "a punto" with Arugula, tomato and parmesan cheese salad.
I might join you, lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.