Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

the ultimate Tango Show thread

the ultimate Tango Show thread

Old Jun 8, 2010, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andimal
Any recent experiences with tango shows? My wife would very much like to take one in while we're down here...
Not sure why more folks don't avail themselves of the offer, but if you see my post 28, you'll see that discount tickets for the tourist tango shows are easily obtainable from the discount ticket outlets (you might want to google the locations to see if they've changed). Not using these is, to me, the equivalent of buying Broadway tickets at full price for a show waaay past its prime.

With a substantial discount, I can't imagine any tourist being disappointed by a tango show. Heck, I try to go to one everytime I'm in town. Where else can I see tango? It's a cheap and fun night out with the discounted tickets.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:14 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by iahphx
Not sure why more folks don't avail themselves of the offer, but if you see my post 28, you'll see that discount tickets for the tourist tango shows are easily obtainable from the discount ticket outlets (you might want to google the locations to see if they've changed). Not using these is, to me, the equivalent of buying Broadway tickets at full price for a show waaay past its prime.

With a substantial discount, I can't imagine any tourist being disappointed by a tango show. Heck, I try to go to one everytime I'm in town. Where else can I see tango? It's a cheap and fun night out with the discounted tickets.
I suggest you repeat your post so its easier to find for folks that look into this thread.....
Old Jun 10, 2010, 4:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Here's another approach visitors may want to consider.

My wife and I rent an apartment for a month every year in Bs As in Aug-Sep, to get away from the Texas heat. We love music and dance performances but dread touristy places.

We always try to catch several shows at the Borges Cultural Center, in the same building as Galerías Pacifico. A couple of examples: One year we saw Anoche, Un baile de Tango, and last year we were wowed by Nicole Nau & Luis Pereyra in El color de mi baile with music by Horacio Banegas. There's no dinner (the Borges just has regular auditoriums), but for that we walk over to El Establo afterwards.

We have never been disappointed by a concert at the Borges, and we've never seen any tourists there.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 11:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by BamaVol
By all means, go see the show at La Ventana. We enjoyed ourselves. The music and dance is excellent (if inauthentic) and the food and wine were not bad at all.
I enjoyed La Ventana when I was in EZE one year ago almost to the day, though I skipped the meal portion and attended just the show paying around USD$50 for a single including roundtrip hotel pick up.

I also was fortunate enough to experience more "authentic" tango in less touristy venues and also sought out the Carlos Gardel House Museum in Abasto to learn more about the music & dance.

YMMV as always.

Last edited by tcook052; Mar 10, 2011 at 11:35 pm
Old Mar 6, 2011, 11:24 am

Cafe Tortoni or La Ventana ....we are going to try to catch a show at the end of the month...are these still our best bets? And does anyone bring children to them?
Old Mar 6, 2011, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by globe.trotter
Cafe Tortoni or La Ventana ....we are going to try to catch a show at the end of the month...are these still our best bets? And does anyone bring children to them?
Oddly, I've never seen kids at the tango shows. But I don't think there'd be anything wrong with taking them. By modern standards, the shows aren't risque or anything, and the tourists don't get rowdy.

I guess I'd ask first. Let us know what you find out.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Current recommendations?

If one is more interested in the dance than the dinner (and price isn't the issue) what show(s) would be good fun these days? Staying in Recoleta at the Hyatt, if that matters to the recommendation.
Thx,
ST
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Rojo Tango is one of my favorites... but Senior Tango is also quite a production. Those two would be on my A list.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA WN Delta Hilton Gold
tango

Any word yet or anyone checked out the We are Tango show?

Thanks,
X
Old Aug 13, 2012, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xelint
Any word yet or anyone checked out the We are Tango show?
Never heard of it... which does not mean anything in itself as Im not much of a Tango person. If you can share some more details, where the show is, etc. - perhaps we can try to find some feedback....
Old Aug 13, 2012, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA WN Delta Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Never heard of it... which does not mean anything in itself as Im not much of a Tango person. If you can share some more details, where the show is, etc. - perhaps we can try to find some feedback....
came across it in a search of Tango places...looks new and low key.http://www.wearetango.com and they are also on Facebook.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:58 am

If you're open to not going to a "show," Salon Canning in Palermo is great! It's an actual "milonga" where people go to dance tango. If you don't want to dance there's absolutely no pressure and you can just sit at a table and enjoy a bottle of wine while watching real porteños dance. It's more authentic and not outrageously expensive.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 4:48 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by latinviajero
If you're open to not going to a "show," Salon Canning in Palermo is great! It's an actual "milonga" where people go to dance tango. If you don't want to dance there's absolutely no pressure and you can just sit at a table and enjoy a bottle of wine while watching real porteños dance. It's more authentic and not outrageously expensive.
Welcome to FT !
And thanks for the tip...
Old Sep 2, 2012, 5:38 am

Gonna give this a bump as I am in the market for a good Tango show as well. Not looking for anything super expensive or touristy. Don't need a meal included.

Unfortunately it seems that using Tripadvisor for reviews of any shows leads to someone labeling it a tourist trap.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by latinviajero
We did Salon Canning and an actual Tango show. We loved the experience of the milonga better than the "show". Salon Canning was recommended to us by an American Expat living in BsAs. Don't come too early, after 10PM is when the party starts. IIRC, the entrance fee was ~5 USD.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.