Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Rules on Transporting Wine out of EZE to the USA

Old Jan 7, 2007, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 2P

What are the current rules on transporting wine out of EZE to the USA? I checked as baggage two cases of Gaucho1K-supplied wine onto a flight on the 31st of October without problems, but there was a recent thread on the UA forum where a guy was saying wine could no longer be checked.

Gaucho1K, can you enlighten us with an airline-by-airline breakdown?

PS: Perhaps this information should be made into a sticky.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 7:00 pm

I am of the (uneducated) opinion that checking wine is acceptable still.

When I returned from BsAs a week ago I couldn't carry/check any additional luggage and I emailed Gaucho100 about him shipping some to me. He indicated that for under 24 bottles it was better to check the wine.

He also said he has some cardboard (?) transport containers that are appropriate for checking 6 bottles of wine.

I'm assuming it is okay to check the wine, since, when I return at the end of this year I plan to do some serious wine shopping at terroir.com.ar

Rita
Old Jan 7, 2007, 7:22 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
To the best of my knowledge, all airlines still accept wine as checked items. If someone could point me to the thread where UA appears to have given a pax trouble with wine I would greatly appreciate it. I will also call UA here in Buenos Aires tomorrow and reconfirm with them on what their policy is.

The best available (and the only reliable) packaging is professional grade styrofoam wine shippers, these are reinforced cardboard boxes with styrofoam inserts that allow you to safely check wine to your final destination.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
To the best of my knowledge, all airlines still accept wine as checked items. If someone could point me to the thread where UA appears to have given a pax trouble with wine I would greatly appreciate it.
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...52#post6910552
Old Jan 8, 2007, 3:45 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
I checked wine last weekend out of Germany into the US on US Airways. No problems at customs whatsoever (it was declared). You may have to pay a duty on it if it is above the allowed personal exemption amount, but you should have no problem keeping it.

I usually don't go so high tech when checking wine back in my checked luggage, but I'm not buying super expensive wine, either. The bottles fit nice inside of an athletic sock or two, and then further wrapped in an article of clothing. I usually use the straps that are inside my luggage to strap them all down afterwords.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 4:31 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Thanks BillScann for pointing out the thread. I will report back once I get more information from United here in Buenos Aires.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 4:47 am

Post wines and US Customs service

As the issue of US Customs is mentioned above, I would like to share what I know regarding bringing in wines to the USA when you are above the duty free allowance.

US Customs is very easy going with wines, provided that you declare every single bottle you have with you. I have a significant group of customers that are serious "whinos" and will sometimes carry back 3 cases (yes, 36 bottles of wine) and regularly have no issues bringing in the wine.

Again, whats important is that you place every single bottle you have on your customs declaration form, and if you get asked questions, as long as you can convince them that you are not in the wine trade (ie. that the wines are not for resale - that they are for your own personal use) almost every time the customs folks will not bother to charge you tax & duty. As far as Ive researched, the reason for this is that the US doesnt charge duty based on the value of wines, rather on the alcohol content, so since most wines have an average 13-14% alcohol content in the end even if you have 3 cases of wines its not worth their time to write you up and charge you what they are supposed to.

However, please do not try to scam the Customs guys and say you have 4 bottles of wine when you are carrying 6... since if you get picked for a spot check and they catch you with a lie, they will give you the full Midnight Express routine...

On a final note on how Customs are with wines, I have one interesting anecdote to share.... last month, I received the visit of a retired member of Congress who purchased 3 cases of wines to take back home with him. He asked a lot of questions about duty free allowances and listened very carefully to what information I gave him. This gentleman travels with an aide/personal assistant, and I remained in email contact with the assistant to make sure that the Senator´s wines arrived well, etc. I was surprised to hear from the assistant that upon entry to the US, the Senator had to insist the Customs agent charge him the duty, as he wanted to play 100% by the rules.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I´ve always declared the specific number of bottles of alcoholic product I have and have never had a problem (maximum 7 or 8 total). As far as checking liquids goes, I´ve done it for the first time today. Boxed Pisco with 2 thick socks around the bottle in the box, then a tshirt around the box, and then plastic bags around. I also bought duty free in SCL, which they bring to the plane, but then I´ll have to get it in my checked luggage in LAX prior to the connection. Bleh. SCL security also took away my water at the screening point even though it is an hour with no US flights (with a 7 hour connection).

Bleh. I would have bought more wine in Mendoza last week, but it just isn´t worth the hassle. I just bought enough to share w/friends in Santiago upon returning here.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 3:19 pm

Exclamation UAL Buenos Aires confirms wine is OK for checked bags

I just got off the phone after a good 15 minute conversation with the folks at UA Buenos Aires.

I first spoke to a very friendly agent who said that there are no restrictions regarding wine in checked baggage, whether placed in the passenger's luggage or checked in separately. I explained about previous experiences with different interpretations of the rules, and the friendly agent suggested that in such a case, the pax should request to speak to a UA staff member and if needed, to the station manager to clear things up.

The agent was really helpful and even reconfirmed all this with his supervisor, who eventually came on the phone and re-confirmed all this directly with me. The only possible "issue" that came up in the chat with the supervisor was that if a check-in agent thinks that the wine is not properly packed, the pax may be asked to sign a waiver (this will not happen if wine is presented in styrofoam wine shippers).
Old Jan 8, 2007, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder what kind of packing the airport, at least in SCL, puts them in. For the first time, I saw signs that if you are flying to the EU (unlike the US, where everyone claims @ first point of entry), your duty free purchase will be delivered to and placed inside your CHECKED LUGGAGE and you will first encounter it at your final destination. I wonder if EZE is doing the same thing, and that whole setup doesn´t sound so hot, except there is no other way for connecting EU pax to get wine home.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I wonder what kind of packing the airport, at least in SCL, puts them in. For the first time, I saw signs that if you are flying to the EU (unlike the US, where everyone claims @ first point of entry), your duty free purchase will be delivered to and placed inside your CHECKED LUGGAGE and you will first encounter it at your final destination. I wonder if EZE is doing the same thing, and that whole setup doesn´t sound so hot, except there is no other way for connecting EU pax to get wine home.
This sounds bizarre.... in practice, this means that airport staff need to OPEN your bags and place Duty Free items INSIDE your suitcases....????

Old Jan 9, 2007, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
This sounds bizarre.... in practice, this means that airport staff need to OPEN your bags and place Duty Free items INSIDE your suitcases....????

Yes, this is what the signs basically said - for all EU passengers that had a connecting flight. I read it a few times because I could hardly believe it.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I checked in 12-bottle cases EZE-JFK 3 times in 2006 without any problems at EZE or at JFK (I always declare the actual amount I paid in wine).
Old Jan 10, 2007, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by ssoul
I checked in 12-bottle cases EZE-JFK 3 times in 2006 without any problems at EZE or at JFK (I always declare the actual amount I paid in wine).
ssoul-- have you ever been written up by US customs for the wine (ie. gotten taxes and duty charged)?
Old Jan 10, 2007, 6:23 am

Programs: AA Gold
Yes, once, comig from EZE but with check-in at MVD. Had to pay $40. They calculated $4 per bottle on 10 of the 12 bottles. I still don't know where the $4 came from but I wasn't going to argue...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.