Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires Airport (EZE) - money changers

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2008, 6:21 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
bumping this up again
Old Aug 25, 2008, 11:41 am
hch

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
bumping this up again
What about marking this thread sticky?
Old Aug 25, 2008, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by hch
What about marking this thread sticky?
Too many stickies on this forum already.... that is what the forum elders say.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 3:30 pm

My biggest frustration with the ATM machines in Argentina was that it would only allow me to exchange 300 pesos at a time. Ridiculous! We ended up using a mix of CC, Pesos and USD while in Buenos Aires and Argentina. What a split personality Argentina has when it comes to economic transactions.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 4:16 am
Original Poster

bump!!
Old Sep 12, 2008, 4:25 am
Original Poster

bump again
Old Sep 21, 2008, 9:17 pm

Thanks for all the great info!

I will be going to Buenos Aires for the first time in early December.

If there is a AR$1000 per day limit on ATM withdrawals,
and the ATMs now limit each transaction to AR$300 or AR$320,
can I make 2 or 3 consecutive transactions while I am at the same ATM getting the limit or AR$290 each time?
Old Sep 21, 2008, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by BillC3
Thanks for all the great info!

I will be going to Buenos Aires for the first time in early December.

If there is a AR$1000 per day limit on ATM withdrawals,
and the ATMs now limit each transaction to AR$300 or AR$320,
can I make 2 or 3 consecutive transactions while I am at the same ATM getting the limit or AR$290 each time?
No. At least a couple weeks ago AR$320/day, and then the card just wouldn't work, at any bank's machine.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 10:45 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
info within the month

1. Banco de la Nacion at the international
airport outside of customs at the end of August was giving 3.00 pesos per dollar (cash). As has been mentioned numerous times, never, never cash money within the secure area unless you enjoy being ripped off.

2. Withdrawals seem to be limited to 300 pesos per transactions at ATMs for foreign cards (U.S. Mastercard at least) but I was able to do multiple withdrawals during the same session. Fortunately, my MC does not pass on the transactions fees so it just took a little longer. Rate was about 3.0 pesos per USD even taking into account the 1% conversion fee.

3. I used ATMs in both Buenos Aires and in town in Iguazu. Fast and fair rates at all ATMs. Some banks do not accept all cards. Some machines in the same bank may not work, just keep trying. I used the ATM at the bank at Florida and Cordoba which has three machines, the center one did not allow transactions, the other two did.

My take of the situation is that the banks are making extra money on the transaction fees by limiting the amount withdrawn at one time. 1000 pesos in 4 transactions equals 4 transaction fees versus 1 for a single withdrawal. Note most machines had buttons for up to either 1000 pesos or 600 pesos but only worked at 300.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 11:01 am
DKM

Hi Opushomes:

Going to BA for the first time in 6 years this November. I've read your post and shall look for the Banco de la Nacion once I clear customs at EZE. Does it matter if I use their ATM or change USD for pesos (in terms of exchange rate, fees, etc.)? I usually just use ATMs when traveling abroad, but after reading this post I wonder if I should be crisp $100 bills to exchange - in addition to my ATM card.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

$100 bills are OK..... new/crisp would be better, but at most of the larger banks they will sometimes take bills that are battered or in less than optimal condition.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 10:46 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Originally Posted by DKM
Hi Opushomes:

Going to BA for the first time in 6 years this November. I've read your post and shall look for the Banco de la Nacion once I clear customs at EZE. Does it matter if I use their ATM or change USD for pesos (in terms of exchange rate, fees, etc.)? I usually just use ATMs when traveling abroad, but after reading this post I wonder if I should be crisp $100 bills to exchange - in addition to my ATM card.
I saw little difference in rates, but please be aware that my MC debit card does not charge ATM fees and only uses a 1% conversion rate. In fact I got 3 pesos per USD changing $300USD at Banco de la Nacion. I also got the same at the ATMs including the conversion fee.

If one uses a credit card the result will be different because of cash advance fees and interest accruing immediately on the transaction as well as your card issuer's percentage for the transaction..

Crisp and fresh US dollars, I have found, are the best when doing a conversion world-wide. Sometimes banks in some parts of the world, particularly Asia will not accept certain series dates due to fears of counterfeits. When this happens, I usually just seek out another location to do my exchange.

Here are my conversions during our recent trip. All transactions were for 300 pesos.

Sep 3, 2008 BANCO NACION ARGENTINA P.IGUAZU
ATM WITHDRAWAL ($100.08)
Sep 2, 2008 BBV BANCO FRANCES RETIRO
ATM WITHDRAWAL ($100.16)
ATM WITHDRAWAL ($100.16)
ATM WITHDRAWAL ($100.00)
ATM WITHDRAWAL ($100.00)
ATM WITHDRAWAL ($100.00)
ATM WITHDRAWAL ($100.00)
Aug 29, 2008 BCO. CIUDAD DE BS. AS. SAN NICOLAS
ATM WITHDRAWAL ($100.16)

As you can see the variance was 16 US cents.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 9:02 am
Original Poster

bumping this up once again...
Old Oct 22, 2008, 9:38 am
Original Poster

bump...........
Old Oct 26, 2008, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Assuming I resist the temptation to get my free map and tourist info and get AR$2.80 per US$1 by baggage claim, and don't want to change US$ at the airport, what is the best non-ATM in-city option? Also, are more local merchants starting to discount higher amounts on US$ cash purchases?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.