Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mendoza (MDZ) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2006, 3:13 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Post Mendoza (MDZ) - the ultimate Q&A thread

OK Folks.... in the spirit of the sister thread that started a couple of years ago on Buenos Aires, Ive decided to open one about Mendoza, mother region of all wines from Argentina. (please note, Argentina makes wine in several other regions outside Mendoza, alas, it remains the most important one).

Please feel free to post away with your questions right here, I will do my best to share what information I have and my experiences.

For proper disclosure, while I have no affiliation with all the places I will discuss here that offer different kinds of services in Mendoza, I am a member of the wine trade in Buenos Aires and am therefore a frequent patron of most of the places I comment on.

With regards from Buenos Aires,
Alejandro (Gaucho100K)
Old May 21, 2006, 7:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K (Pure AS)
Thanks for the great opportunity!

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Please feel free to post away with your questions right here, I will do my best to share what information I have and my experiences.
Okay, I'll bite -- we're headed on a South American trip in a couple of weeks, and will be arriving by bus from SCL into Mendoza on June 7 and departing June 9. We're staying at the Park Hyatt and will have a car. Around SCL, we're staying at Hacienda Los Lingues and visiting some wineries, but would love to get some recommendations on restaurants and/or wineries to visit around the Mendoza area.

I'm not sure what distinctions there are between the Chilean wine scene and the Mendoza, Argentinian one, but any suggestions that help highlight those distinctions would be great, too!

Thanks, Gaucho100K -- we're actually headed to EZE from Mendoza, and will take advantage of some of your great expertise from the EZE thread while there, too!
Old May 23, 2006, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Depending on which specific subregion you visit, Mendoza is spread out over larger portions of territory. Signage in Mendoza is still rudimentary, thingsare generally more organized in Chile. If you mean styles of wines, then I would say that Chile has a clear advantage when it comes to still white wines, while in the red wine department - Argentina has considerably more depth in quality wines.

Some restaurants:

1884 Francis Malmmann
Bistro at the Park Hyatt
El Palenque (local, good homemade style food)
La Bourgogne at Vistalba Carlos Pulenta
Postales del Plata (Chacras de Coria)

Wineries to visit (please note some places require advance booking):
La Rural Rutini - Museo del Vino
Chandon Argentina
Familia Zuccardi
Bodegas Lopez
Catena Zapata

Last edited by Gaucho100K; May 23, 2006 at 6:24 pm
Old May 23, 2006, 9:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K (Pure AS)
Thanks!

These are great jumping-off ideas; thank you SO much. I appreciate your generosity with your expertise!
Old May 25, 2006, 9:23 am

Some other observations

>>
Depending on which specific subregion you visit, Mendoza is spread out over larger portions of territory. Signage in Mendoza is still rudimentary, thingsare generally more organized in Chile. If you mean styles of wines, then I would say that Chile has a clear advantage when it comes to still white wines, while in the red wine department - Argentina has considerably more depth in quality wines.

Some restaurants:

1884 Francis Malmmann
Bistro at the Park Hyatt
El Palenque (local, good homemade style food)
La Bourgogne at Vistalba Carlos Pulenta
Postales del Plata (Chacras de Coria)

Wineries to visit (please note some places require advance booking):
La Rural Rutini - Museo del Vino
Chandon Argentina
Familia Zuccardi
Bodegas Lopez
Catena Zapata
<<

We went to Mendoza for the Vendimia at the beginning of March. Here are a couple of observations.

The Park Hyatt is a good location. It's right across the street from Plaza Independencia. Just up the street on the way to San Martin Park on Avenue Sarmiento you will find a number of little bistros and restaurants (includeing Azafran which my wife really liked) that were pretty good. There is a really good Helado (Ice Cream) store on the corner of Belgrado and Avenue Sarmiento which we really liked. We ate at 1884 Francis Mallman twice in our four day visit. My wife loved their pumpkin ravioli (had it both times) and I had a steak once and a salted chicken which was very good.

We took a tour for visiting the wineries which was really interesting and fun. I really enjoyed Alta Vista winery and we had lunch at Ruca Malen. At Ruca Malen winery you do the wine tasting with lunch (lunch was very good--It included Sweet corn tortelette, beef tenderloin, and cinnamon and cheese mouse for dessert).

We went during the Vendimia and it was fabulous. So much was going on during our stay that we are talking about going back next year again.
Old May 25, 2006, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

The Hyatt is indeed a fine hotel, although in the end its just another Hyatt. If one is open to explore new types of experiences, I would strongly suggest trying alternative lodging in a somewhat less than urban setting. I suggest looking into the following places:

Postales del Plata - http://www.postalesdelplata.com

Cavas Wine Lodge - http://www.cavaswinelodge.com/

Lares de Chacras - http://www.laresdechacras.com/

For the budget minded, some options to consider are:

Hotel Aconcagua - http://www.hotelaconcagua.com/english

NH Cordillera - http://www.nhhotelesdirectorio.com
Old May 26, 2006, 6:18 am
Original Poster

transportation in Mendoza

Many folks ask me about renting a car in Mendoza. This is of course possible, but there are a number of drawbacks.

First, rental costs in Argentina are high when compared to other countries. Signage in Mendoza is rather ackward, and distances from winery to winery is sometimes important. Dont think Napa where everything is close and signage is perfect... Mendoza is big, there is a lot of new development and even the locals arent the best for directions, things are changing very quickly. Plus, if you really want to enjoy your wines, its a bad idea to get behind the wheel.

Renting a car with a driver or a van if you are in a small group is the best way to go. I will dig up a few contacts and post more information later.
Old May 26, 2006, 12:19 pm
Community Director Emerita

What airlines fly between Mendoza and Bariloche? Is the distance sufficiently far that flying is the most sensible way to travel?
Old May 26, 2006, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
What airlines fly between Mendoza and Bariloche? Is the distance sufficiently far that flying is the most sensible way to travel?
Im fairly certain that there are no direct flights from Mendoza to Bariloche. The only way would be to route through AEP (Buenos Aires City Airport), or alternatively through SCL although I assume that would be more expensive.

Long distance bus is also an option, although Ive never traveled that route and dont have the details.
Old May 26, 2006, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UAMM
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
The Aerolineas web site lists only flights via AEP. About 4 hours flying and waits of 1+(+++) hours at AEP.
Old May 27, 2006, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks for confirming my guess. Domestic air travel in Argentina does have its issues, things have gotten slightly better as of late so there should be no major delays.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 5:16 pm

Location: AA Gold/Million Miler,DL dirt,UA1K/Million Miler;Honors Silver,Marriott Gold;Avis Preferred,Hertz Prez Circle, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by nor4
The Aerolineas web site lists only flights via AEP. About 4 hours flying and waits of 1+(+++) hours at AEP.
You can fly from MDZ-BRC via SCL, but it's only one day a week:Thursday. The SCL-BRC direct flights are limited to Th pm outbound and rtr SUN evening. U wld lve MDZ am11:20, arr SCL 11:15, dep SCL 3:35 arr Brc 6:30; one-way fare on LAN for a thursday JULY 13=$372(Unless U have visa you're stuck in transit area 4 1/2 hrs!). The return would leave you in SCL Sun nite as the 8PM dep flight won't connect to any MDZ flights so hotel stay would be in your pocket.(LAN could fly u back to MDZ via AEP) The roundtrip cost for that would be $515. Not including cost of hotel and 100 visa fee for leaving airport for stay. You have better selection via AEP from MDZ the rtrip is $ 672 currently for same days. Maybe an airpass might be consideration if u plan on doing any more flying while there. I did not check on rtrip rtr via AEP both ways cost.

Last edited by rustyr; Jun 11, 2006 at 11:39 am
Old Jun 13, 2006, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Does the airpass help you with the visa issue...? I guess those costs would be incurred regradless, or?
Old Jun 17, 2006, 8:52 am

Location: AA Gold/Million Miler,DL dirt,UA1K/Million Miler;Honors Silver,Marriott Gold;Avis Preferred,Hertz Prez Circle, Nat'l Exec Elite
Does the airpass help you with the visa issue...? I guess those costs would be incurred regradless, or?
Yes on both counts if u plan on visiting Brazil or Chile either on airpass or single flights u would have to add in costs for visas.

Last edited by rustyr; Jun 17, 2006 at 9:11 am
Old Jun 17, 2006, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Gaucho;
Thank you for the offer.
I was in Baires for 5 days in March and loved it.
I lived there for some time during my childhood (many many years ago) and know I remember why my family LOVED Argentina.
I am going for 2 weeks in September and rented an apt.
Just planning to eat good food, drink a lot of Limoncello, ice cream and coffee.
I would like to go "out of town" for 2 nights.
Bariloche is expensive. I am quoted 1700-2500 pesos per person.
I was looking for something much cheaper.
how about Mendoza? I love wine.
by the way, I used to live in Catamarca. Is that worth a trip?
thank you very much for your help
Gracias

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.