Wiki Posts
Search

Mendoza (MDZ) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by iceblueshoes
tasting fees are fine. I understand wine is a business and money needs to be made.

As for La Azul, the only mention of a price I saw was about $40 Canadian which seems too low even though there are multiple mentions of it being a deal of a place. Is it that low/true? I find it a bit hard to believe a 5 course meal with wine would be so little.
I don't recall specifically, but my general recollection is that for two we were out the door for just about US$100 in December 2015.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I don't recall specifically, but my general recollection is that for two we were out the door for just about US$100 in December 2015.
Holy crap... that's insane...
I'm def making it a priority then... that's like insanely cheap.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 12:39 pm
Suspended

I had one of the most spectacular meals of my life along with a Malbec tasting at Melipel. A very strong recommendation for the Lujan de Cuyo region.

Also, as far as the sub-regions are concerned, IMHO, the Uco Valley is not to be missed. I believe it's by far the most interesting and unique part of the Mendoza wine region because of the altitude, and proximity to the Andes. My favorite winery in that area is Gimenez Riili, which is a very small but high quality operation that is extremely close the the Vines Uco Valley facility (which was not yet completed when I was there).

Last edited by DeweyCheathem; Jan 13, 2017 at 12:44 pm
Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:15 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Unfortunate choice of words IMO. Insanely good value for money would be more appropriate.

Holy crap... that's insane...
I'm def making it a priority then... that's like insanely cheap.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
For lodging in the Uco Valley, I strongly recommend looking at Tupungato Divino. An excellent place run by the owners.... ^ ^ ^
Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: Southwest, United, American Airlines
I need help finding cheap flights from Bariloche into Mendoza. Looks like LADE (Argentina state run airline) does not make this trip, and LATAM is extremely expensive. If anybody could point me in the right direction would be awesome. I DO NOT want to take the bus from Bariloche up to Mendoza. Thanks!
Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Unfortunate choice of words IMO. Insanely good value for money would be more appropriate.
Ok ok... same thing... but yes, it's an incredible bargain that will not be missed.

So what's the going rate for a driver for the day? No guide...

Just trying to get an idea...
Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by petomoo
I need help finding cheap flights from Bariloche into Mendoza. Looks like LADE (Argentina state run airline) does not make this trip, and LATAM is extremely expensive. If anybody could point me in the right direction would be awesome. I DO NOT want to take the bus from Bariloche up to Mendoza. Thanks!
Bus?
It's how I'm getting from BA to Mendoza, although I'm sure someone else can give more info or provide other options.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:41 am

Unfortunately, there are no cheap flights, and you have to go through Buenos A>ires. The overnight bus takes 18 hours.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:12 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
AFAIK there are no nonstop flights between MDZ and BRC. Latam must show expensive prices because you'll have to change planes at AEP, the same with Aerolíneas. LADE doesn't fly to Mendoza at all.

Edit- I just remembered Aerolíneas flies MDZ-NQN a few times a week. You're still 450 km north of Bariloche, but if you want to avoid the overnight bus it may be worth paying a look at the prices.

Last edited by Marambio; Jan 15, 2017 at 5:18 pm
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bus?
It's how I'm getting from BA to Mendoza, although I'm sure someone else can give more info or provide other options.
Are you looking at one way or round trip? You might find the RT is cheaper than OW (if you only need OW).
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Are you looking at one way or round trip? You might find the RT is cheaper than OW (if you only need OW).
nah. Just one way.
I'm going onwards to Santiago Chile after Mendoza.
I've already booked that flight with Sky.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

nah. Just one way.
I'm going onwards to Santiago Chile after Mendoza.
I've already booked that flight with Sky.
Try booking a round trip (with a 7 day minimum stay, etc) and see if it is cheaper - you can toss the return.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:43 am
Original Poster

BTW, Azul also has a small posada so that is also a lodging option in the Uco Valley.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
In my opinion. One would want to do just an overnight in the Uco Valley (if your one whom is looking for more stimulation than rest, relax, taste and eat and the ocasional horse ride) While it has stunning scenery. Its very serine (for those whom want the book and decompress) Otherwise, perhaps a day of tasting followed by a nice stay and dinner. Then the next day some other tastings if you prefer then on to a more active area (like Mendoza City) some may say otherwise. But after 10 years visiting for work, its just my preference of I was a tourist visiting the area.. Enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.