Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Mendoza (MDZ) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Old Jun 7, 2015, 6:21 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I travel to MDZ quite often. There are many providers of services to Tour the Area. Wine Tasting Tours, Adventure Tourism, River Rafting, Hot Springs etc. In light of that, perhaps we can start a Wiki or another Sub Thread in the Argentina Foum that could help expose the vast array of these services.

As we can see. Mr. Sanz receives kudos from the Board. However, there are others. Why don't you post you personal experience for all of us to share. Mendoza is going through a Big Change as Many Wineries are Discovering that Wine Tourism is a Growing Business. Let's share our knowledge, so others can gain. I invite the First Post, and look forward to the information. Thanks and Safe Travels
This is an excellent initiative and I fully support it. ^^^

I welcome all those that have used other guides & drivers to post their experiences. If someone wants to start a new thread with information, once its properly populated with various data points and reviews I would be pleased to make it into a sticky.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Jalen500
Thanks. Found your link, that company looks like a good option.
I can also vouch for them ^
Old Jun 15, 2015, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond
Anyone with a good sample 2 day wine tour?
Looking for ideas .
Old Jul 1, 2015, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond

Ended up using uncorking Argentina. What a great two days. Would highly recommend
Old Jul 1, 2015, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Jalen500
Ended up using uncorking Argentina. What a great two days. Would highly recommend
Sounds Great! Would you please share some more information, so the whole board can learn from your visit.

Gaucho 100K has prior stated that he will set up a Wiki (or Sticky) of various Tour Guides and Providers based on User Input.

Thanks and Safe Travels..
Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:44 am

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
I will be in Mendoza in ten days. This is my 3rd visit, and I've visited many of the familiar wineries. I will do my best to add information to this thread when I return.

I decided to splurge and do Sun/Mon nights at Vines of Mendoza - more than I usually spend but seems like a great way to spend a Sunday.

I will probably do something cheaper the rest of the week. Still deciding between staying in Uco or in Mendoza city. I stayed at Lares de Chacras before and loved it. Miguel told me the owners of La Azul have a posada. I might be the Guinea pig and check it out. It seems like Saturday night might be a fun night to spend in the city?

I've never done anything in the mountains and might squeeze that in this trip. I also want to visit old favorites Vina Cobos, Catena Zapata and Flechas de los Andes.

Debating between 4 and 5 nights... I've seen a lot of BA now so I anticipate more Mendoza time.

Will probably use Miguel for at least one day of my trip.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by BostonGuy
I will be in Mendoza in ten days. This is my 3rd visit, and I've visited many of the familiar wineries. I will do my best to add information to this thread when I return.

I decided to splurge and do Sun/Mon nights at Vines of Mendoza - more than I usually spend but seems like a great way to spend a Sunday.
Just to clarify here that the Vines tasting room has closed down in mendoza, as thye have moved this out to their Uco Valley estate.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Speak to Miguel, tell him what you are looking for, be specific, and have him make suggestions. If you give him precise info on what you want, I would be very surprised if he failed to give you proper advice. Miguel knows everybody in Mendoza and is very well updated on all openings/closings... you will be in the best of hands with him.

Originally Posted by BostonGuy

I will probably do something cheaper the rest of the week. Still deciding between staying in Uco or in Mendoza city. I stayed at Lares de Chacras before and loved it. Miguel told me the owners of La Azul have a posada. I might be the Guinea pig and check it out. It seems like Saturday night might be a fun night to spend in the city?

I've never done anything in the mountains and might squeeze that in this trip. I also want to visit old favorites Vina Cobos, Catena Zapata and Flechas de los Andes.

Debating between 4 and 5 nights... I've seen a lot of BA now so I anticipate more Mendoza time.

Will probably use Miguel for at least one day of my trip.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 12:19 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Speak to Miguel, tell him what you are looking for, be specific, and have him make suggestions. If you give him precise info on what you want, I would be very surprised if he failed to give you proper advice. Miguel knows everybody in Mendoza and is very well updated on all openings/closings... you will be in the best of hands with him.
You will also pay the most money so I suggest shopping around. There are many good guides in the area (some of whom I used) who also let me pay in Pesos without using the gov't exchange rate.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 12:27 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
You will also pay the most money so I suggest shopping around. There are many good guides in the area (some of whom I used) who also let me pay in Pesos without using the gov't exchange rate.
I agree, shopping around in MDZ is so very important to the quality of your tour day. I had suggested earlier on starting a Wiki of some sort to provide the name and contact information of guides that are available in MDZ.

Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Oct 24, 2015, 5:50 am
Original Poster

I agree with the above posters that Miguel is a high-end Guide. His services are amongst the most expensive, but that is because he is one of the best (in my opinion hands-down the best) Guides in Mendoza. His contacts are second to none, and will be able to get you into places that most run of the mill guides will not. To put things in perspective, being one of the most expensive doesn't mean that his cost is anywhere near unreasonable. When you factor in the price of what he charges to the overall trip expense, its a drop in the Ocean and what you get for hiring a caliber guide repays itself many times over.

Also, please note that you need to work out the math before concluding that a Guide that quotes you in US$ cash is more expensive than one that quotes you in Pesos. Look into issues of forms of payment and what the currency markets are like. Most times, once you do the arithmetic you will realize that the Peso price quoted is not too far from the US$ cash that Miguel and other top guides charge. It is standard industry practice to have guides charge for their services in US$ Cash, that is the norms for all the good guides here in Buenos Aires.

As a Argentine that goes to Mendoza some 4-5 times per year, I think that saving a few bucks on not going with anything but the best of a Guide is definitely not a good choice, but it is of course up to each individual traveler to do his/her own homework and make the final decision.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
Hi all - Trout & Wine, Ampoura are the two top rated ones on trip advisor and get good reviews for day tours I believe. Any experience with those?
Old Oct 30, 2015, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by ssafro1
Hi all - Trout & Wine, Ampoura are the two top rated ones on trip advisor and get good reviews for day tours I believe. Any experience with those?
I used Trout & Wine. Had a lovely day and was priced right. Likely posted a more detailed review a few pages back (Feb/Mar 15) I'd use them again if I was in the area.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 1:00 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL DM 1MM, UA 1MM
Mendoza Wine Tour Guide

We were in Mendoza this month and we were referred to Mauricio Molina by Miguel. Mauricio has outstanding command of English, a modern, comfortable vehicle, is a careful driver, and was well-regarded wherever we toured. He advertises that he also speaks French and Portuguese.

If you would like his contact details, please send me a PM and I will connect you to him.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for sharing !!! ^

Originally Posted by bobblevins
We were in Mendoza this month and we were referred to Mauricio Molina by Miguel. Mauricio has outstanding command of English, a modern, comfortable vehicle, is a careful driver, and was well-regarded wherever we toured. He advertises that he also speaks French and Portuguese.

If you would like his contact details, please send me a PM and I will connect you to him.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.