Buenos Aires (EZE) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires (EZE) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2017, 12:33 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
My wife and I are anticipating our first visit to South America, one in which we would fly into Buenos Aires from someplace in the USA. We are UA flyers based in HNL, and that would mean connecting in IAH, however we are open to flights from other gateways/carriers (such as Dallas with AA or Atlanta with DL. We would be flying in J, and probably returning from SCL.

Any recommendations would be appreciated for carriers serving Buenos Aires that have good J seats, service, and reliability.

Many thanks!
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by 747FC
My wife and I are anticipating our first visit to South America, one in which we would fly into Buenos Aires from someplace in the USA. We are UA flyers based in HNL, and that would mean connecting in IAH, however we are open to flights from other gateways/carriers (such as Dallas with AA or Atlanta with DL. We would be flying in J, and probably returning from SCL.

Any recommendations would be appreciated for carriers serving Buenos Aires that have good J seats, service, and reliability.

Many thanks!
Given that you probably want lie flats or close to it on most of your trip, DL or AA may be your best bet. The new AA J seats are nice. Make sure you don't book an old 3 cabin 777 with the slantyseats. Service isn't bad. I've only taken DL once (to/from SCL) and it was pleasant on the ATL/SCL segments, but I didn't love the seat on the 767. Your other alternative is HNL/LAX on whatever carrier has a joint fare, connecting to LATAM. Southbound would be LAX/LIM/EZE and northbound is SCL/LAX nonstop (several days a week). I like their 787s a lot. 767s have very narrow J seats, but they are still lie flat. Food and beverage is usually decent. LIM transit is not difficult (transit security, but no other formalities). LAX Oneworld lounge is great. LATAM SCL lounge is one of the nicest J lounges in the Americas.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Given that you probably want lie flats or close to it on most of your trip, DL or AA may be your best bet. The new AA J seats are nice. Make sure you don't book an old 3 cabin 777 with the slantyseats. Service isn't bad. I've only taken DL once (to/from SCL) and it was pleasant on the ATL/SCL segments, but I didn't love the seat on the 767. Your other alternative is HNL/LAX on whatever carrier has a joint fare, connecting to LATAM. Southbound would be LAX/LIM/EZE and northbound is SCL/LAX nonstop (several days a week). I like their 787s a lot. 767s have very narrow J seats, but they are still lie flat. Food and beverage is usually decent. LIM transit is not difficult (transit security, but no other formalities). LAX Oneworld lounge is great. LATAM SCL lounge is one of the nicest J lounges in the Americas.
Many thanks for your kind response and helpful information.

I noticed your signature re your apartment. Can you PM me information? Thanks.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Originally Posted by iceblueshoes
Hello all. Needing some help again please.
Unfortunately my airbnb got cancelled (at least I got a lof ot lead time) and instead of risking another potential cancellation I'm leaning towards staying at a Sheraton due to my employee discount.
Unfortunately I'm not sure which hotel is in a better area: The Libertador or the Buenos Aires and Convention Centre. Both cost the same, so it's really down to location. I won't be renting a car and plan on walking and taking public transportation to explore the city.

Holiday Inn Express in Puerto Madero is also an option that isn't too much more, plus I need a points run anyways, but again, am not too familiar with the area.

Not sure if it makes a difference but I'll be arriving via ferry from Montevideo and then leaving on overnight bus to Mendoza, so getting to the airport won't be an issue.
Thanks in advance!

PS. and yes the Park Tower looks nicer, but it's just me travelling. I'm really simple to please when I travel.
Sorry anyone? I think this got stuck at the bottom of the page... sorry for the double post.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Never stayed at any of the Sheratons but I've been various times for lunch/coffee/meetings and the one in Retiro is nicer than the Libertador, although both are fine. The Holiday Inn advertises itself as Puerto Madero but it's actually in downtown, close to both Sheratons.

Location-wise the three are pretty close - it's hectic downtown during the day, during the nights you are a bit isolated from the rest of the city, you'll definitely need a taxi/Uber to get anywhere for dinner other than the bars in Reconquista/San Martín. The Holiday Inn and the Sheraton Libertador have better public transport than the Sheraton in Retiro - in order to catch a bus or the subway from the latter you'll need to cross the park and walk to Retiro train station.

If I had to choose I would stay at the Sheraton in Retiro because it seems nicer, but if the price difference is big the Libertador should be ok. Not a big fan of Holiday Inn myself.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hello all. Needing some help again please.
Unfortunately my airbnb got cancelled (at least I got a lof ot lead time) and instead of risking another potential cancellation I'm leaning towards staying at a Sheraton due to my employee discount.
Unfortunately I'm not sure which hotel is in a better area: The Libertador or the Buenos Aires and Convention Centre. Both cost the same, so it's really down to location. I won't be renting a car and plan on walking and taking public transportation to explore the city.

Holiday Inn Express in Puerto Madero is also an option that isn't too much more, plus I need a points run anyways, but again, am not too familiar with the area.

Not sure if it makes a difference but I'll be arriving via ferry from Montevideo and then leaving on overnight bus to Mendoza, so getting to the airport won't be an issue.
Thanks in advance!

PS. and yes the Park Tower looks nicer, but it's just me travelling. I'm really simple to please when I travel.
I can't say I was a big fan of the Holiday Inn Express, although it was a decade ago. I don't particularly like the street down there late at night. And of course, it isn't in Puerto Madero. It is as close to Puerto Madero (on the north end) as my place is to Puerto Madero (on the south end).

As far as the Sheratons, I've stayed at the Libertador several times (albeit the last stay was years ago) and it was a perfectly ok Sheraton. I like the location better than the main Sheraton / Park Tower - much closer to the Subte, even though it is a much more congested feel right out the door. Again, I haven't stayed there in over 8 years re: the condition inside.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Originally Posted by Marambio
Never stayed at any of the Sheratons but I've been various times for lunch/coffee/meetings and the one in Retiro is nicer than the Libertador, although both are fine. The Holiday Inn advertises itself as Puerto Madero but it's actually in downtown, close to both Sheratons.

Location-wise the three are pretty close - it's hectic downtown during the day, during the nights you are a bit isolated from the rest of the city, you'll definitely need a taxi/Uber to get anywhere for dinner other than the bars in Reconquista/San Martín. The Holiday Inn and the Sheraton Libertador have better public transport than the Sheraton in Retiro - in order to catch a bus or the subway from the latter you'll need to cross the park and walk to Retiro train station.

If I had to choose I would stay at the Sheraton in Retiro because it seems nicer, but if the price difference is big the Libertador should be ok. Not a big fan of Holiday Inn myself.
Sorry, Retiro? Do you mean the Park Tower?
I can't say I was a big fan of the Holiday Inn Express, although it was a decade ago. I don't particularly like the street down there late at night. And of course, it isn't in Puerto Madero. It is as close to Puerto Madero (on the north end) as my place is to Puerto Madero (on the south end).

As far as the Sheratons, I've stayed at the Libertador several times (albeit the last stay was years ago) and it was a perfectly ok Sheraton. I like the location better than the main Sheraton / Park Tower - much closer to the Subte, even though it is a much more congested feel right out the door. Again, I haven't stayed there in over 8 years re: the condition inside.
Thanks. Good to know.
Holiday Inn was as a points run. That's all. Then again it does include breakfast. lol

I'm leaning towards the Libertador though.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 8:59 pm

Sorry, Retiro? Do you mean the Park Tower?
Yup, I meant the Sheraton Buenos Aires (Park Tower, Convention Centre, etc etc etc), which is located in Retiro neighbourhood, close to Retiro train station.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 11:17 pm

Yup, I meant the Sheraton Buenos Aires (Park Tower, Convention Centre, etc etc etc), which is located in Retiro neighbourhood, close to Retiro train station.
Ahh ok. Got it.
I think I'll go for the Hotels and Convention Centre and do 1 night at the HI Express since I need a night anyways for the points run/not to lose my account/points, even though I have no status.

Just wondering though, if I dine in at one of the ones here in the city and log my points, does that keep me active for another year? Or does it just apply to hotel stays?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:14 pm

Hello,

I want to to take the Arbus from EZE into the city on a weeknight but my flight arrives 1030 PM. How many more departures are there in the night? Where in Palermo does it drop off? I am trying to find an address so I can walk to a hotel right by the stop late at night. Anyone have any suggestions? According to this though it only stops at Terminal Madero

http://www.arbus.com.ar/horarios/arbus-ezeiza.pdf
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:35 pm

As per the info you provided, the last Arbus leaves EZE at midnight. If you land at 10.30pm you should be able to catch it - late evenings is the departures rush hour but almost no arriving flights.

From EZE the coach only stops at Corrientes and Madero (downtown) and AEP. The Palermo stop, near the train station, is only for services ex-AEP.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's the best way back to EZE from the city? Is there a way to pay a reasonable fixed amount (or by credit card) to avoid worrying about having enough pesos left?

Years ago, I used to have a guy with a private car service pick me up, but I assume he's moved on, and that type of service probably isn't too popular. I've heard there's Uber in BA, but they also have problems. Also, my cell phone might not work in Argentina without wifi (although I guess I could request one on wifi from the hotel).

EDIT: I see on their website that Taxi Ezelza has a "promotion" of 580 pesos from anywhere in Buenos Aires to the airport. But a taxi fare finder search came up with an estimated fare of only 363 pesos (which sounds low to me). Does anyone know the real taxi cost? Thanks.

Last edited by iahphx; Mar 1, 2017 at 6:29 pm Reason: more
Old Mar 1, 2017, 7:33 pm

Uber works just fine provided your credit card is issued somewhere other than Argentina. Last November I paid 308 pesos on Uber from Recoleta to the airport. Now I see Uber fares have gone up a bit (it is quoting 360 pesos for the same trip) but it still is by far the cheapest option from the city to EZE.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Uber works just fine provided your credit card is issued somewhere other than Argentina. Last November I paid 308 pesos on Uber from Recoleta to the airport. Now I see Uber fares have gone up a bit (it is quoting 360 pesos for the same trip) but it still is by far the cheapest option from the city to EZE.
UBER did not work with AX (US-issued) for me, twice. The payments wouldn't process and I was locked out of my account until I rectified the matter (when I contacted AX, they said that charges weren't even attempted).
Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UBER did not work with AX (US-issued) for me, twice. The payments wouldn't process and I was locked out of my account until I rectified the matter (when I contacted AX, they said that charges weren't even attempted).
Thanks. Given the potential hassles, I'm OK taking a radio taxi to EZE instead if the difference in price isn't too much. Does anyone have recent experience with this? And do any of the taxis take credit cards (to avoid guessing how much cash I need to have left)? The 580 "promotion from Taxi Ezeiza seems like a pretty crummy deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.