FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Argentina (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina-622/)
-   -   Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina/309799-buenos-aires-f-b-scene-volume-i.html)

Gaucho100K Jul 10, 2001 4:02 pm

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Over the past months since I joined these boards, Ive seen that some FTalkers go to Buenos Aires once in a while, and others that are thinking/planning to go visit my hometown. For those, and all other curious souls, Im starting a series of short reports on my native city and its (what I think is very cool, hip & trendy) F&B scene. I hope it helps those of you thinking to visit Santa Maria de los Buenos Aires.

-----------

Palermo Hollywood, as this area of Palermo Viejo (Old Palermo) is now called, is the latest off-shoot of what is now almost a classic F&B area of Buenos Aires called Las Caniitas. While the Cannitas area is closer to the newer part of BA, (area close to the Polo Club and the BA horse-race track), Palermo Hollywood is in an older part of town. Im highlighting two restaurants Ive visited during this Easter Holiday 4 day trip of mine. If youre in town and want to have a nice dining out evening, I suggest you try one of these two places:

Central, located on Costa Rica 5644, tel. 4776-7374. Its a bar/restaurant with a hybrid concept, something between a 24hour supermarket & general store with a restaurant (full view of the kitchen) and a bar in the back. A very mixed crown (mostly late 20's to mid 30's) although some fashion minded more mature people are also on display. Food is what I would call cuisine-international. Its a little on the noisy side, but lots to see (and be seen) while you wine/dine. Nice cellar including wines from my favorite Argentine winery (Catena Zapata). About $25-30 per person without wine. Service is OK, but I would expect it to get better as/if the waiters tend to stay with the place a while.

El Salvador, located at El Salvador 5567. Tel 4776-1144. Quiet atmosphere, with Frank Sinatra and some jazzy tunes in the background. Its a semi-formal atmosphere, where chef Charlie Beccar Varela serves a trendy fusion quisine menu, including influences from asian & french orientations. The menu is not large, but features excellent salads and specially prepared deserts. I recommend the chocolate pyramid (its well worth the 20 minute wait). Also features a mostly complete wine list. The service I experienced was excellent, which is uncommon for relatively new places with very young staff. Try having dinner in the main lounge and then moving on to the upper patio for dessert, capuccino and complementary champagne while you wait for the bill.

-----------------
Gaucho100K

stimpy Jul 11, 2001 10:43 am

I recall visiting a wonderful Italian restaurant in an old neighborhood that might have been Palermo Hollywood. I wish I could recall the name.

However any visitor should try Puerto Maria for those huge steaks cooked over an open wood flame.

Gaucho100K Jul 13, 2001 2:15 pm

Stimpy, if you like Italian I would suggest you try out " La Fornarina ", next time you are in Buenos Aires. Its a very well known place in Belgrano, on a street called Arcos.

The Ric Jul 16, 2001 11:14 pm

I just returned from BA and in Puerto Madero is a place called Cabana Las Lilas. Simply awesome steak, the best I had during my stay, although La Chacra was wonderful also. La Chacra is near the Sheraton, Cabana Las Lilas is close the the Hilton. Enjoy!

------------------
HH Dmnd, AA Gld, DT Slvr

anandrag Dec 3, 2001 8:31 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gaucho100K:
Over the past months since I joined these boards, Ive seen that some FTalkers go to Buenos Aires once in a while, and others that are thinking/planning to go visit my hometown. For those, and all other curious souls, Im starting a series of short reports on my native city and its (what I think is very cool, hip & trendy) F&B scene. I hope it helps those of you thinking to visit Santa Maria de los Buenos Aires.
-----------------
Gaucho100K
</font>
I am going to BA later this month for a week with my wife. Are you planning a volume II?

GUWonder Feb 12, 2002 2:35 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by The Ric:
I just returned from BA and in Puerto Madero is a place called Cabana Las Lilas. Simply awesome steak, the best I had during my stay, although La Chacra was wonderful also. La Chacra is near the Sheraton, Cabana Las Lilas is close the the Hilton. Enjoy!

</font>
Cabana Las Lilas... best steakhouse in the world. It is also the reason I stay at the Hilton in Puerto Madero section of Buenos Aires. Order their "lomo" cuts and you will be in culinary heaven.

Gaucho100K Apr 11, 2002 4:24 pm

Yes, both La Chacra and Cabania Las Lilas are great places for steak. But, if you get a chance please dont forget to venture into Palermo Hollywood, it has many great places to wine & dine. And now, better than ever !!!! http://www.flyertalk.com/dining/ftdi...um/biggrin.gif

Gaucho100K Apr 11, 2002 4:25 pm

Just to answer the above question, Im going back to EZE in 2 weeks, I will be dining around and will do a Vol. II report.

Thanks for the interest.

OttoGraham Jul 17, 2002 10:30 am

I just came back from BsAs and can recommend several places: for the best filet mignon I have ever had, El Mirasol next to the Four Seasons. There is also a branch of this small chain in Puerto Madero, they have excellent roasted veal kidneys there.

The Renault Museum is also a restaurant, really good sushi and an Italian menu which I did not order from but which I saw from other diners' plates to be quite nice.

El Biblo (www.elbiblo.com - maybe there is a .ar at the end of that address) is a cozy French place, ask for the table where you sit on the loveseat and have a modified table in front of you. Excellent French and Italian-inspired food.

In Recoleta, there are a bunch of decent restaurants on what I term "Restaurant Row," by my sights the best of the bunch is a traditional parrilla called something like "El Parrilon de Recoleta," you'll recognize it by the waiters' red polo tops with a diagonal red stripe across the front.

-Otto

best Oct 27, 2002 2:16 pm

Any more current post crisis recomendations/

USAFAN Dec 4, 2002 4:16 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by best:
Any more current post crisis recommendations/</font>
I just returned from Buenos Aires. It's a wonderful place. I did not see any problems/crisis. People are very, very friendly - very helpful and softspoken. On monday banks started selling dollars, many businesses may ask for higher prices now.
Lived in Etoile, Recoleta, 170 pesos/night. Very nice hotel, nice location.
Went to CENTRAL which Gaucho100K recommended, very stylish place, food O.K., service very friendly; it's worth going. It's in Old Palermo, you have to take a taxi.
Went to ..las Lilas, Mrs. USAFAN's and my steak was not tender and the test was not very good. The ambiance, sitting outside on the water was nice.
Went also to Lola, next to our hotel. Good food nice ambiance.
The best food was in Bourgogne, in Hotel Alvear. Lunch menu incl. a bottle of first class wine (Nobile or so..) Pesos 64. Superb cuisine and service! I would have paid in Paris at least $150 to $250. I don't want this every day, it's somewhat too "elegant".
I purchased "Guide to Buenos Aires" from Buenos Aires Herald; Pesos 16 with delivery to the hotel. Very well done.

Sweet Willie Dec 16, 2002 10:15 am

thanks USAFAN for the post.

Any others?

Headed out in a week for BA

dhammer53 Dec 27, 2002 3:25 pm

Sweet Willie,

I'm looking forward to your update.

We've put BA on a list of possible vacation choices this summer.

Anyone know which Sheraton is the best placed property?

Dan

USAFAN Dec 27, 2002 3:58 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dhammer53:
We've put BA on a list of possible vacation choices this summer.
</font>
Buenos Aires has summer now!
You find information on Sheraton BA at the Sheraton Forum; just search for "Buenos Aires".
Actually, I would recommend a hotel in La Recoletta.

USAFAN Feb 23, 2003 6:41 am

Gaucho100K:
We are waiting for more!