Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Old Apr 25, 2017, 3:00 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Puchero.... ahhh, perhaps one of the most overlooked dishes in Argentine Cuisine...? (if such a thing exists)

I am a serious Puchero fan.... its probably best to make your own at home but it is quite a work load and its best to have a bunch of friends over so you can have a proper variety of meats and veggies. For those familiar with German / Austrian cuisine, perhaps the only thing that is (remotely) similar to Puchero to would be " Tafelspitz ".

The temporary retirement of The Grill @Plaza Hotel is a huge hole that cannot be fixed just like that. I dont know of another place of this caliber that is serving anothing even close. For a decent Puchero that is not Fancy but will still hit the spot, I suggest checking out this 100% non touristy place close to San Telmo. Think no-frills down to earth and simple, also has a decent parrilla and a few Pasta Dishes. Compared to the Grill @Plaza, this place will cost a fraction......

1880 Restaurant
Defensa 1665
Tel. 4307-2746
Old Apr 25, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:50 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Try Dan Pearlman of Casa Saltshaker, perhaps he would be interested. Cyborg, thanks for opening my culinary eyes. Never heard of the dish before.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Never heard of the dish before.
First I've heard of it and I've lived here ten years. Now having done some research I'm not so sure I've missed much. A good Locro on the other hand is very nice.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
I had not thought of Dan for this... but its an Excellent idea !!! Dan is a good sport and if we can get a few people together maybe he can create a Puchero Night and then sell the additional spots he needs to make this possible..??

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Try Dan Pearlman of Casa Saltshaker, perhaps he would be interested. Cyborg, thanks for opening my culinary eyes. Never heard of the dish before.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
First I've heard of it and I've lived here ten years. Now having done some research I'm not so sure I've missed much. A good Locro on the other hand is very nice.
Hiddy..... Dude, are you sure your wife is really Argentine...? You've lived out in the sticks in the middle of the Pampas for 10 years and you dont know Puchero...? Tell us the truth, you're an MI5 operative, not a cow rancher.... come clean, will you...?????

Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Hiddy..... Dude, are you sure your wife is really Argentine...? You've lived out in the sticks in the middle of the Pampas for 10 years and you dont know Puchero...? Tell us the truth, you're an MI5 operative, not a cow rancher.... come clean, will you...?????

According to Google ''Puchero is considered a lower- and middle class staple''.

We're obviously better off than you.

She knew what it was but said she hadn't eaten it for years. I've never seen it on any menu around here whereas I've seen and eaten Locro a couple of times. As she's so busy it's usually me who does the cooking anyway. I make a good Scottish style stew which she loves and with the cold wind that's blowing today I might just be making one soon.
If you want to find out what real stew tastes like I'll let you know and you can bring along a couple of bottles of Malbec. None of the cheap stuff mind.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
Everyone knows that the best Pucheros are made in Madrid . Havent seen a decent one here in Bs As . Hiddy , let me know when Mince n Tatties are on the Menu and I shall visit with some decent wine....
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
According to Google ''Puchero is considered a lower- and middle class staple''
Ah yes....... Google is the fountain of endless wisdom. This explains why the Grill at The Plaza had is as a special for decades, eh....?

Well, we working class blokes tell you Royals that you dont know what you are missing !!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by malagajohn
Everyone knows that the best Pucheros are made in Madrid . Havent seen a decent one here in Bs As . Hiddy , let me know when Mince n Tatties are on the Menu and I shall visit with some decent wine....
Puchero in Madrid.....

Are we going to start a food fight or a diplomatic incident....?

Why wasnt Macri served Puchero when he visited Felipe & Letizia a few weeks ago......???

Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Two more establishments that serve Puchero.....

El Imparcial
Hipólito Yrigoyen 1201
Monserrat
Tel: 4383-2919/7536

El Globo
Hipólito Yrigoyen 1199
Monserrat
Tel: 4381-3926/4384-9788
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
I stand by my original comment

The best pucheros are served in Madrid.

The pucheros in Bs As are nothing special
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Oviedo, the Spanish Restaurant in Barrio Norte is also known to do Puchero from time to time, but those will be special events that are announced via Social Media.

I will make sure I have Puchero in Madrid next time I visit.... I normally focus on other Spanish delicacies but given that I am a die-hard Puchero fan I will make sure to not miss out on the opportunity. Is Puchero a year-around option in MAD or is it also seasonal, like here in EZE...?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by malagajohn
Hiddy , let me know when Mince n Tatties are on the Menu and I shall visit with some decent wine....
It'll soon be mince and tatties season as well. Have to say just to keep Gaucho100K happy the ingrediants for mince and tatties here are of good quality even though I do have to make it for myself. Only downside is there's no Heinz baked beans or neeps available to go along with it.

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K

Well, we working class blokes tell you Royals that you dont know what you are missing !!!!!!!!!!
^
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:50 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.