Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Just wanted to add that during our last visit to Nectarine, we had the 7 course chef tasting menu, which is offered at AR$170 (pesos) per person. This is approx US$55, and gives everybody a clear idea of what sorts of values you can get in Fine Dining here in Buenos Aires.
Gaucho, Nectarine definitely sounds like one of the places I need to hit for the first time on my next visit. Does that AR$170 include any wine pairings?
Old Sep 13, 2006, 5:26 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by syzygy8
Gaucho, Nectarine definitely sounds like one of the places I need to hit for the first time on my next visit. Does that AR$170 include any wine pairings?
No, that price was for food only. They have a good wine list at reasonable prices (for a restaurant of this caliber).
Old Sep 18, 2006, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Parrilla 1880 in San Telmo / Barracas

For an authentic Buenos Aires restaurant thats not toooo touristy, I suggest Parrilla 1880. Down to earth pricing and an ample menu which includes almost all of the staple fare that Buenos Aires residents crave for.

Parilla 1880
Defensa 1665
San Telmo
Ciudad de Buenos Aires
Tel. 4307-2746
Old Sep 24, 2006, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Hi Gaucho 100K
I would like very much to visit Nectarine.
Can you post it´s adress?

Tks
Old Sep 24, 2006, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gru1K
Hi Gaucho 100K
I would like very much to visit Nectarine.
Can you post it´s adress?

Tks
Here you go...

Nectarine
Vicente López 1661
Recoleta
Tel. 4813-6993
Old Sep 25, 2006, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
For an authentic Buenos Aires restaurant thats not toooo touristy, I suggest Parrilla 1880. Down to earth pricing and an ample menu which includes almost all of the staple fare that Buenos Aires residents crave for.

Parilla 1880
Defensa 1665
San Telmo
Ciudad de Buenos Aires
Tel. 4307-2746
I heartily second that!
Met some very nice locals there-this place has sooooo much soul!And the food is good home style food,huge portions,and such nice service.
Cab Drivers may not know the place,make sure you have the address and phone number.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Here you go...

Nectarine
Vicente López 1661
Recoleta
Tel. 4813-6993
Be aware that it is at the end of an arcade-not right on the street.
Very interesting neighborhood.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
I heartily second that!
Met some very nice locals there-this place has sooooo much soul!And the food is good home style food,huge portions,and such nice service.
Cab Drivers may not know the place,make sure you have the address and phone number.
Very glad the recommendation hit the spot. Your tip on having the exact address is a good one. The exact cross streets is also a good thing to have in case the cabbie doesnt have the exact location in mind.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Nemo Restaurant - updated review

Ive become a regular at Nemo, one of the best places to have fish in Buenos Aires. Nemo is a 100% local restaurant, in the Palermo area. Fished is exclusively selected by the chef/owner and grilled to perfection. Everything is very fresh, and prices are very reasonable. Also, great homemade pasta with fresh seafood.

Only downside is perhaps that its a little noisy, and the tables are very small (Manhattan restaurant sized tables) - and the wine list could use some improvement.

Nemo - Bar de Mar
Cabello 3672
Palermo - Ciudad de Buenos Aires
Tel. 4802-5308 / 4803-5878
Old Oct 29, 2006, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Here is another recommendation... Im usually quite a contrarian when it comes to fashionable restaurants, most of the time they are all show and nothing good comes from the kitchen, in this case, its different.

Mott - Cocina de Mercado
El Salvador 4685
Tel. 4833-4306/4325

Plus, its in the heart of Palermo Soho... ^ Open for both lunch and dinner.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 3:26 pm

Just found this thread after 4 years of visiting Buenos Aires (and living here part time now)

Surprised no one has mentioned Gran Bar Danzon yet, which has been one of my favorites over the years. Unfortunately I don't think they're as good as they used to be - food and service have both slipped since I first started going - but I still like the ambience they pull off, and they have one of the best wine lists of Argentina - at reasonable prices, too. I'd still recommend it, and go almost weekly when I'm here (that's down from 2-3x/week!)

From the same ownership of Danzon also come Sucre and Uriarte - both good but I don't find myself going to either as often.

Newer to the scene is Casa Cruz which blew me away with how good it was when I went there in March. Sadly, my last two visits have been somewhat disappointing (even the risotto, which was fantastic three months ago, was entirely unexceptional last week when I tasted it again.

Since Faena Hotel+Universe opened a year or two ago, I would have thought their restaurants would receive at least a mention in here. Mercado has been a pleaser for me in the last few months, but about a month ago they raised all their prices 50% without touching anything else, so I don't think they're worth it any more. The all-white Bistro never did much for me, although to be honest I've not actually eaten there.

A cool place with most likely the finest bartender in all of Argentina is Green Bamboo - a sort of Vietnamese asian-fusion place. Good food, and Peter is the kind of old-school bartender that you almost never find. From the way he hand cracks his ice, to the look of delight that spreads across his face as he assembles his ingredients in his shaker and shakes away, you can tell he takes his cocktails seriously, and when you taste them, you'll appreciate the difference it makes.

Finally, new to the scene and a strong recommend from me is Budabar in Puerto Madero. Great food and a few consistency issues that shouldn't be too surprising in a place this young (they opened in the last 2-3 months) but I expect good things from them. I love their shellfish curry...

I'll visit Nectarine tonight for the first time. So many other places to mention, but this post is too long already.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 3:39 pm

Here is another recommendation... Im usually quite a contrarian when it comes to fashionable restaurants, most of the time they are all show and nothing good comes from the kitchen, in this case, its different.

Mott - Cocina de Mercado
El Salvador 4685
Tel. 4833-4306/4325

Plus, its in the heart of Palermo Soho... ^ Open for both lunch and dinner.
I can't resist one last comment - I've only been to Mott for lunch (twice actually) and I wasn't too impressed - maybe for dinner it's better. On the same street I'd pick Cluny, a French bistro style place, which I find a steal for lunch at about 30 pesos (ten dollars) for a top-notch appetizer, main, dessert, and glass of wine. I'm a big fan of their squash soup and white salmon at lunch time, although I am starting to wish they'd mix their prix-fixe menu up a little from time to time. I've had the same thing there about 5 times in the last 2-3 months.

Another nice spot but in Palermo Hollywood is Olsen - same chef as Casa Cruz and I love the Scandinavian vibe to hang out in. My one dinner there was not so pleasing, but I've enjoyed lunch as well as afternoon snacks (their salmon sandwich is amazing, as is their 5+5 tasting platter of little canapes matched with little vodka-based shots).

Okay, enough now. I'm getting hungry and won't be at Nectarine for another 2 1/2 hours.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schultzois
Just found this thread after 4 years of visiting Buenos Aires (and living here part time now)

Surprised no one has mentioned Gran Bar Danzon yet, which has been one of my favorites over the years. Unfortunately I don't think they're as good as they used to be - food and service have both slipped since I first started going - but I still like the ambience they pull off, and they have one of the best wine lists of Argentina - at reasonable prices, too. I'd still recommend it, and go almost weekly when I'm here (that's down from 2-3x/week!)

From the same ownership of Danzon also come Sucre and Uriarte - both good but I don't find myself going to either as often.

Newer to the scene is Casa Cruz which blew me away with how good it was when I went there in March. Sadly, my last two visits have been somewhat disappointing (even the risotto, which was fantastic three months ago, was entirely unexceptional last week when I tasted it again.

Since Faena Hotel+Universe opened a year or two ago, I would have thought their restaurants would receive at least a mention in here. Mercado has been a pleaser for me in the last few months, but about a month ago they raised all their prices 50% without touching anything else, so I don't think they're worth it any more. The all-white Bistro never did much for me, although to be honest I've not actually eaten there.

A cool place with most likely the finest bartender in all of Argentina is Green Bamboo - a sort of Vietnamese asian-fusion place. Good food, and Peter is the kind of old-school bartender that you almost never find. From the way he hand cracks his ice, to the look of delight that spreads across his face as he assembles his ingredients in his shaker and shakes away, you can tell he takes his cocktails seriously, and when you taste them, you'll appreciate the difference it makes.

Finally, new to the scene and a strong recommend from me is Budabar in Puerto Madero. Great food and a few consistency issues that shouldn't be too surprising in a place this young (they opened in the last 2-3 months) but I expect good things from them. I love their shellfish curry...

I'll visit Nectarine tonight for the first time. So many other places to mention, but this post is too long already.
Danzon was one of my all time favorites when it first opened, but as you correctly point out it has seen better days. Im afraid I cant agree with you on Green Bamboo... for me, its just another stain on the Asian food scene here in Buenos Aires which (most unfortunatetly) is very poor across the board. Budabar is promising, especially because Rodrigo Sieiro and Mariana Torta are now involved as part of the new management/operational teams.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Forgot to address the Faena Hotel. I think that the value proposition at the Faena tends to be pathetic. Plus, for a foreign visitor to Buenos Aires, its the last place I would recommend.... alas, I can see why the proposition may be appealing to some. Now that I read about the price increases that have been implemented, the value proposition is even worse. I guess this proves that nothing is soo bad it cannot get... well, you know where Im heading.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schultzois
I can't resist one last comment - I've only been to Mott for lunch (twice actually) and I wasn't too impressed - maybe for dinner it's better. On the same street I'd pick Cluny, a French bistro style place, which I find a steal for lunch at about 30 pesos (ten dollars) for a top-notch appetizer, main, dessert, and glass of wine. I'm a big fan of their squash soup and white salmon at lunch time, although I am starting to wish they'd mix their prix-fixe menu up a little from time to time. I've had the same thing there about 5 times in the last 2-3 months.
Thanks for the heads up... I will check out Mott for lunch and see if they are sub par. To be honest, Ive always been very impressed but its good to be on ones heels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.