Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2013, 4:01 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by SoFlyOn
Methinks more like roadkill. Which is quite apropos given the driving habits of the locals
You say that because your Gringos all drive like my Grand-Momma !!!!!!
Old Sep 28, 2013, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Plus, most you Gringos cant even drive a proper stick-shift !!!!!!!

Old Sep 28, 2013, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Plus, most you Gringos cant even drive a proper stick-shift !!!!!!!

It is simply because we can afford not to Besides, I've got an ECVT now.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
It is simply because we can afford not to Besides, I've got an ECVT now.
Old farts drive automatics.....
Old Oct 27, 2013, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Old farts drive automatics.....
Since the age of 15! When I started renting cars on the "Safer Side of the Cordillera" (you know, the one with that first world country), for several years, the agents would want to insure that I actually knew how to drive an automatic!

And now, back you your regularly-scheduled parrilla post.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Went to Pura Tierra last week.... Excellent Meal !!!!! This place continues to be strong on my A list of Buenos Aires restaurants not to be missed.....
Old Nov 3, 2013, 3:39 am
Original Poster

Also visited Sipan in Palermo..... acceptable, using international standards. With an EZE perspective.... quite good.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: miles and more,magnifica
I would like to recommend one place,I love,is a local place,not fancy at all,but the meat is lovely and really cheap ,on todays Argentina,very hard to find
Its called el 22,.on palermo
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Looks like a while since last update, so...

Heading back to BA in about 10 days for 2nd trip...a quick one, time for two dinners and a lunch or two. (Last visit was ill from bug I got in Jamaica; enjoyed, but barely ate @ Don Julio; couldn't get taxi to take me to El Obrero).

Most interested in parilla dinners, but interested in whatever is great. Do you have a short list of current recommendations?

Also, being from Portland, I'm pretty spoiled with top quality coffee. Can you recommend any places where I can get a perfect morning cortado?

Thx for your guidance.

--mcz
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

El Obrero is not a place for a Foodie... yes, its an experience, but I would not waste a meal there is you are a true Foodie. Balance is something I would suggest putting into an itinerary of a food tour of sorts, so this means not only having dead Cow. Here is my quick list that's quite updated.....

a) Pura Tierra (Argentine Casual Fine Dining)
b) Le Grill (High-end Grilled Meats)
c) SottoVoce (Argentine Interpretation of Italian)
d) Oviedo (Argentine Interpretation of Mediterranean)
e) Don Julio (Casual Grilled Meats)
f) Nemo (Casual Seafood)
g) Captain Cook (Argentine Interpretation of SE Asian)
Old Nov 8, 2014, 5:45 pm

Here goes a shout out for El Burladero on Jose Evaristo Uriburu. Had the lunch special menu, a bargain @ 155 pesos, including generous offerings of wine. Pleasant service and delicious food. We were lucky to get a table without reservations, so next time I know I should call ahead. ^
Old Nov 10, 2014, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Upated quick report on LeGrill. I visited again last week with a groups of clients from Germany, the food was EXCELLENT. Service was spotty since the place was quite full, and I had my words with management about that - but the food more than compensated for this. Amazing aged beef, very well prepared sides and a very good (albeit quite pricey) wine list.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 5:31 pm

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
My usual visit to La Cabrera was scrapped for a visit to La Cholita in Recoleta - recommended by a local friend - and the meat was outstanding. Fewer sides and no great wine choices, but dirt cheap. I think if I were to go next time I would ask if I could bring a bottle of Angelica Zapata. : )
Old Jan 3, 2015, 5:37 pm

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
Other notes from my three day trip:

Hernan Gipponi Restaurante in Palermo is closed and replaced with a place called Uco. Different owner, chef and menu.

I didn't realize Il Mattarello now had a Palermo Soho location - delicious and convenient if not as quaint as the original family-owned restaurant in La Boca.

We had surprisingly good food and service at a place we walked into - Unik, in Palermo. The lady who was the wine stewart was exceptionally personal and helpful. I would certainly go back.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://astorbistro.com/

Find of the year. Of course, the year is 3 days old. 3 of us went and had the 8 course menu. Interesting, delicious, a few great bites, and all good bites. 6 savories and 2 sweets. We had a bottle of rose and a bottle of red from a most eclectic wine list, many from bodegas we'd never heard of. I ordered modestly-priced wines, and the waiter thought highly of my selections (i.e, didn't try to up-sell). The 2 bottles were less than 3 pairings would have been.

The bill (at $13 to US$1) with 10% cash discount, plus 10% tip, was approx. US$107 total.

If you're looking for a "typical gut buster porteño tourist dinner," this is not your restaurant. If you're looking for a nicely paced, nice but somewhat informal dinner of high quality that you'd think in NY or SF that $100+ pp before the wine bill would have been a fair price, you would love it. We left full but not uncomfortably so. If you eat frequently in Buenos Aires, it is a breath of fresh air.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.