Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:22 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Dr, Gracias for the report.... I need to get to El Baqueano sometime soon.

I have a business dinner this evening and I will go (once again) to Pura Tierra. Mostly because I know everybody there and I can take my own juice, my Client has never been there so it just fits.... will report on how it goes tomorrow.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Had an excellent dinner at Pura Tiera the other day.... my client was most impressed. The menu hasnt changed much, which is an issue for me as Im kind of tired of not having more new things to try.... but the staff and Martin & team were at their best.

^
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Tired of meat and staying awhile?

For those of you who may be staying awhile, renting a place, etc. and have had enough meat, or don't eat meat, there is now a "pop up" organic Feria every Friday in San Telmo @ Peru 677 - 10h to 20h. (They also had organic chicken and other non-vegetarian items, and also had some strictly vegan booths.)
Old Mar 12, 2013, 6:54 am
Original Poster

So.... I was dragged to El Baqueano this past weekend by a couple of my Gringo** friends.... had a very good meal, the menu is original, service is very good.

A very good option for a non traditional meal in Buenos Aires....

(**) perdon Kiwi.....

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Mar 12, 2013 at 7:03 am
Old Mar 12, 2013, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
So.... I was dragged to El Baqueano this past weekend by a couple of my Gringo** friends.... had a very good meal, the menu is original, service is very good.

A very good option for a non traditional meal in Buenos Aires....

(**) perdon Kiwi.....
Traditionally, you'd be the gringo, żno? The other guy was a yanqui!

We had a spectacular Cabernet Sauvignon too
Old Mar 13, 2013, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SoFlyOn
Traditionally, you'd be the gringo, żno? The other guy was a yanqui!

We had a spectacular Cabernet Sauvignon too
Hell no.... Im about as gringo as Dulce de Leche....

Old Mar 14, 2013, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Delhi Masala
Defensa 714, San Telmo

I was a bit leery, but my dining companions were vegetarian and there are lots of options on the menu. In summary, I left pleased. The food was at least as good as a mediocre "Middle America" (as in USA) Indian joint, which for Buenos Aires, is a real compliment. The potato app had a modestly good amount of heat. I ordered my (non veg) dish "picante picante, no Buenos Aires picante." Well, it came out mild, but there was a red paste sauce she brought to the table that had a good kick. The naan was pretty good.

This message is provided as a public service for those who may be tired of steak and empanadas on their visits.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yup, the kind in the plastic tub full of preservatives
Old Mar 14, 2013, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM

Che Tano, you're not trying to pass yourself off as a Gallego are you?
Old Mar 24, 2013, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Favorite lunch spots?

All set with dinners for this week - 2 closed door, 1 steakhouse. Can't wait.

Any recos for great lunch spots? Something that's not totally gut-busting w/steak? Saw some good reviews of Desnivel.

Staying in Retiro if that helps. Thanks.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Rio Alba was a very pleasant surprise last week, hadnt been there for ages and had a very good lunch with a couple of friends from the US. Its close to the US Embassy in Palermo, on the corner of Oro and Cervińo.
Old May 23, 2013, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Went to Sotto Voce on Monday night. Had the the Carpaccio (de lomo) as a starter which was a deep red colour and very good. They had ran out of the rabbit of the day special so I had the ravioli of the day. Stuffed with veal and a creamy mushroom sauce which I was very happy with. Sacrilege I know but I prefer my pasta slightly overdone rather than al dente and they accommodated this request. The above was washed down with 2 generous glasses of DV Catena Cabernet Malbec and a cafe doble. Total damage was ARP$360 or US$45 before tip which I thought was decent value and the views weren't bad. Will return.
Old May 23, 2013, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Morcilla has no place other than on the bargain parrilladas, so that it cannot accidentally be served to me. Morcilla is icky. And yes, I've tried it on one than more occasion.
Heathen!

I love morcilla and have it 1-2 times a day when in Bs As. Must be a Celtic thing.
Old May 24, 2013, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oiRRio
Went to Sotto Voce on Monday night. Had the the Carpaccio (de lomo) as a starter which was a deep red colour and very good. They had ran out of the rabbit of the day special so I had the ravioli of the day. Stuffed with veal and a creamy mushroom sauce which I was very happy with. Sacrilege I know but I prefer my pasta slightly overdone rather than al dente and they accommodated this request. The above was washed down with 2 generous glasses of DV Catena Cabernet Malbec and a cafe doble. Total damage was ARP$360 or US$45 before tip which I thought was decent value and the views weren't bad. Will return.
Great report !!! ^
Old May 28, 2013, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Another Great Case of Wine!

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 1, 2018 at 4:46 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.