Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2004, 1:41 pm

Restaurant Guide

Guys,

Check out my restaurant guide at http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar
It even allows you to vote restaurants. There you can find some good places through a nice search engine.
I hope you like it.
Regards,

e
Old Jun 16, 2004, 9:55 pm

Non-Touristy Parrilla

On my past visit to EZE to visit a son working there, we had a fabulous dinner at La Brigada a neighborhood steakhouse where, like in "Cheers" everyone knows your name and the steak, in my experience is superior to Las Lilas (inconsistent IMHO). La Brigada is located in San Telmo in an area not recommendable for an after dinner walk. To complete the picture, prices are extremely reasonable.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 8:05 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by rumzeis
Guys,

Check out my restaurant guide at http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar
It even allows you to vote restaurants. There you can find some good places through a nice search engine.
I hope you like it.
Regards,

e
Thanks for posting this.... ^
Old Jun 21, 2004, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by mryflyer
On my past visit to EZE to visit a son working there, we had a fabulous dinner at La Brigada a neighborhood steakhouse where, like in "Cheers" everyone knows your name and the steak, in my experience is superior to Las Lilas (inconsistent IMHO). La Brigada is located in San Telmo in an area not recommendable for an after dinner walk. To complete the picture, prices are extremely reasonable.
Yes.... absolutely, La Brigada is a great local option. Next time you are in EZE, I suggest you check out El Pobre Luis... ^
Old May 7, 2005, 10:56 am

Buenos Aires Nightlife

Hey guys if you are planning to visit Buenos Aires and you want to experience its nightlife and beautiful woman’s then check out http://www.11y11.com under ‘Agenda de Eventos’ where you will find a complete guide to Buenos aires nightlife and also a restaurant & bar guide.
I hope you like it!
Old May 14, 2005, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Back on this thread.....

So Folks... after not visiting this thread for about one year, Ive now bookmarked it and will be adding information regularly. I have a good number of new places to report on, and welcome everybody to add their impressions on the places that are recommended here.

Its important to keep in mind that places change, chefs move, and consistent quality is sometimes rather elusive.... so it would be best for all if we could make this thread as active and visited as the other EZE ultimate Q&A thread.

Cheers,
Gaucho100K
Old Jun 7, 2005, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Bump !!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 14, 2005, 6:14 pm

Programs: not a thing anymore! :-((
Dora

over on the chowhound international message board, people absolutely rave about this place....anyone here have an opinion?

thanks.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by ellielou
over on the chowhound international message board, people absolutely rave about this place....anyone here have an opinion?

thanks.
We loved it. Went there for dinner in April. Place was packed. Lots of families. Loud, but not disturbingly so. Busy Busy Busy. The waiters leave the kitchen and tell this guy near the door what they're carrying to which table. Then the guy just types into a computer the delivery and that's how your check is totaled. Our waiter was very friendly and helpful with our weak Spanish and made us feel quite comfortable.

We started with an appetizer to share for the table of chorizo sausage and calamari. The chorizo was superb. Entrees for the three of us were:

Grilled cod in Basque sauce
Grilled trout with garlic and parsley
Lomo

Everyone was happy. Washed it down with a bottle of Alfredo Catena La Mision Malbec 2001. After dinner liqueur was on the house while we waited for our cab.

Last edited by syzygy8; Jun 15, 2005 at 12:18 pm
Old Jun 15, 2005, 12:48 pm

La Bourgogne?

Anyone done Lunch at the Alvear's la Bourgogne? I've heard dinner is good there but how is the lunch? what is the price range?
Old Jun 15, 2005, 3:07 pm

Dora

thanks.
A porteño colleague took me to eat there a couple of weeks ago and our experience was very good. Almost all the clientele were locals on the night we went, service was typical for BsAs (i.e. friendly but you just about have to set yourself on fire to get your waiter's attention), and the food was quite good, especially the cherne (sea bass).

I'm not sure I'd venture here if I didn't speak at least a little but of Spanish. Afterwards, you're close to the bars and pubs on San Martin.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Dora is good and the prior review is correct.

[If you have trouble or don't speak Spanish and have a cell phone while there, the solution is to call the hotel's concierge and have them "translate". And that's presuming the unlikely event that no one in the restaurant will help with even rudimentary English.]
Old Jun 17, 2005, 3:21 pm

Dora sounds awesome...I'm going to check it out in a few weeks on my first EZE trip. And I'll do my best to add my comments on other places afterwards. Thanks for the tips...
Old Jun 17, 2005, 6:31 pm

Programs: not a thing anymore! :-((
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Dora is good and the prior review is correct.

[If you have trouble or don't speak Spanish and have a cell phone while there, the solution is to call the hotel's concierge and have them "translate". And that's presuming the unlikely event that no one in the restaurant will help with even rudimentary English.]
I have some very rudimentary Spanish at my disposal, but am planning to spend the next five months learning as much as I can... (BTW, does anyone know of a decent self-study program CD or DVD and booklet thing that I can order and learn from home.....?)

Just wondering, though, if the typical foreign travel thing of pointing at other diner's food and gesturing wildly works in BsAs?!
Old Jun 17, 2005, 6:51 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I have some very rudimentary Spanish at my disposal, but am planning to spend the next five months learning as much as I can... (BTW, does anyone know of a decent self-study program CD or DVD and booklet thing that I can order and learn from home.....?)

Just wondering, though, if the typical foreign travel thing of pointing at other diner's food and gesturing wildly works in BsAs?!
Yes, but there are more polite ways of getting the same result.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.