Solar Eclipse of July 2, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Solar Eclipse of July 2, 2019

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_...f_July_2,_2019

Nothing like planning ahead. This one is going to enter South America in the Coquimbo region of Chile, and then pass southeast over Argentina, exiting just to the west and then south of Buenos Aires.

It will be early winter, so weather will not be optimal. It doesn't look like there's very much in the "touristic location" department in the direct path, either. (However, it looks like EZE is in the path ... barely).

This seems like a good place (and time) to start compiling what airports and accommodations will be in the path, and other planning.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Great! I had no idea about this.

Buenos Aires is not a good place for any starseeing. Beyond the buildings and lack of room for watching anything, the city's lights (public lighting, houses, etc.) cancel any possibility of seeing an eclipse in the night. Also BA skies tend to have a pollution layer (especially in the winter) that blocks the stars a bit.

I just googled a bit and found this good map by NASA: https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoog...02Tgoogle.html

In the BA area, Lobos and Chascomús are right on the eclipse's central line. Both are 100/150km from the city and have good accommodation. Ranchos is also on the line but it's a very small city - there's probably a hotel or two catering viajantes de comercio and that's about it.

Outwith BA, the eclipse will go through the emptiness of Cuyo's desert and the Pampas. San Juan, Venado Tuerto (Santa Fe) and Merlo (San Luis) are the only "large" cities on its path.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:15 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Actually your discussion is a good advertisement for La Serena in Chile.......

Just wandering

Fred
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Marambio
Great! I had no idea about this.

Buenos Aires is not a good place for any starseeing. Beyond the buildings and lack of room for watching anything, the city's lights (public lighting, houses, etc.) cancel any possibility of seeing an eclipse in the night. Also BA skies tend to have a pollution layer (especially in the winter) that blocks the stars a bit.
This would be special indeed, luckily for BA, a solar eclipse happens in the daytime
HIDDY likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
Actually your discussion is a good advertisement for La Serena in Chile.......

Just wandering

Fred
This is a place I like very much. And actually, the most beautiful place to see this will be in the Valle de Elqui, but this will be traffic the likes of which the US probably won't experience in its 2017 eclipse. Several of the great telescopes of the world are in this valley because of the clarity of the skies (and the 300+ clear days each year). La Serena (on the coast) in the winter probably has a better chance of visibility than in the summer (very much like coastal California weather) but could still suffer winter storms.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Would Colonia work? That would be pretty easy from Buenos Aires, assuming hotel reservations and hydrofoil tickets purchased far in advance.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Would Colonia work? That would be pretty easy from Buenos Aires, assuming hotel reservations and hydrofoil tickets purchased far in advance.
No. Colonia is neither west nor south of Buenos Aires, as easily seen on a map.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by ubiest
This would be special indeed, luckily for BA, a solar eclipse happens in the daytime
I need to stop posting after drinking wine
HIDDY likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:10 am

Looks as if we're located right in its path. ^
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It looks like we have some volunteers to organize a FT Argentina Solar Eclipse DO. Thank you HIDDY and EastBay1K. Maybe Gaucho100K can be persuaded to bring some wine.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It looks like we have some volunteers to organize a FT Argentina Solar Eclipse DO. Thank you HIDDY and EastBay1K. Maybe Gaucho100K can be persuaded to bring some wine.
Since we'll have some ground to spare after we get rid of the herd next year, you've given me an idea. @:-)
How about I set up some glamping (glamorous camping) in one of our fields for the eclipse? Something along the lines of the picture below. I'll do you a special rate of £200 for the night with a choripan and a glass of boxed wine thrown in? Early booking is advisable.

malagajohn and Marambio like this.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:56 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Hiddy... if you want me to sleep anywhere near the Union Jack, you will have to pay me 200,000 Sterling per night and I will bring my own boxed wine....

Gotta get back to the Cow Do threads to post updated info.....
Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Hiddy... if you want me to sleep anywhere near the Union Jack, you will have to pay me 200,000 Sterling per night and I will bring my own boxed wine....
You sell boxed wine?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
I hear that Hiddy has a Lion on his flagmast....
HIDDY likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

As a reminder, if you are including Buenos Aires in any eclipse-related trip, hotel pricing and availability is all over the place. The NH chain is asking about (USD) $1000 a night for most of their properties. Many properties aren't available, and many still have reasonably-priced rooms. As to how you're going to get out of the City ... good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.