Wiki Posts
Search

New York Times: Visiting Argentina Gets Less Expensive

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2017, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/AA
New York Times: Visiting Argentina Gets Less Expensive

Argentina, land of the tango, gauchos and good wine, is also emerging as the land of the good deal.

Foreign visitors who pay for their lodging with an international debit or credit card — not cash — now receive a direct and automatic refund of the country’s 21 percent value-added tax. The reimbursement applies to all accommodations, from hostels and midrange hotels to luxury resorts and the rural estates known as estancias.

“Our goal is to position Argentina among the world’s top travel destinations by making it more competitive and affordable. To do so, we have been implementing a range of new policies,” said Roberto Palais, the executive chairman of the National Institute of Tourism Promotion.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/29/t...e=sectionfront
Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What it doesn't tell you. Due to massive inflation caused by too many CK years in power has meant prices here are now on par with holidaying in Europe and N America.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Question: If I am (U.S. citizen) traveling in country with an Argentine national would it be better for me to book the hotel and avoid the tax?
Old Jul 4, 2017, 12:12 pm

Yes, that would be a good strategy.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by David Beach
Yes, that would be a good strategy.
Thanks David. It's Mendoza that I'm coming to visit for a month or longer with some weekend trips out of the city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.