Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Argentine steak is now overrated (gasp)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Not yet but after successfully making a batch of tattie scones I have plans on making my own Lorne sausage. A buttered roll with a square of Lorne sausage topped off with a tattie scone and splash of HP Sauce will have them talking.

Can I place my order now?

Cash or a trade in HP sauce?

Or how about some malt vinegar?
Old Mar 14, 2017, 7:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by malagajohn
Can I place my order now?

Cash or a trade in HP sauce?

Or how about some malt vinegar?
The Malt vinegar would go well with a bowl of hot peas...haven't had them for years.

I'll give you a shout when I make the Lorne sausage. ^
Old Mar 14, 2017, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I can buy beef from Uruguay close to home (in Berkeley) as well as other fine beef, from which the cow had a loving birthname and peaceful euthanasia, raised within 75 miles of home, nary a kernel of Monsantobayer (tm) in sight. No rush to return to Uruguay just for a steak. There are also plenty of restaurants nearby that will recite the cow's name and how the last rites were performed when you order.
And you don't even live in Portlandia. But you're pretty close!
Old Mar 15, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
Yep. I'd have to agree with this. I used to live in Argentina for 9 years but go back a few times a year for work and each trip over the past few years I've noticed the exact same thing you all are talking about.

I do agree you can still find a great steak but it used to be that there were great steaks at tons of places. You it takes more work (and obviously more $$$$).

Sad.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by saint
Yep. I'd have to agree with this. I used to live in Argentina for 9 years but go back a few times a year for work and each trip over the past few years I've noticed the exact same thing you all are talking about.

I do agree you can still find a great steak but it used to be that there were great steaks at tons of places. You it takes more work (and obviously more $$$$).

Sad.
Land here used to be dirt cheap so rearing grass fed cattle was very profitable.
Then restrictions were lifted and cereal growing, especially soya, boomed. As a result land prices soared - currently averaging $15,000 - $20,000 a hectare for good land. This has forced those who rear cattle for beef to diverse into either growing cereal or having feed lots. Most took the cereal route. That's why the quality of beef has declined.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:14 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
I fully agree that the average quality of Beef has dropped considerably. Its unfortunate, but as Hiddy explains above, its Economics 101. Argentina still had outstanding quality meats, but you have to know where to buy and be willing to pay accordingly.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
I fully agree that the average quality of Beef has dropped considerably. Its unfortunate, but as Hiddy explains above, its Economics 101. Argentina still had outstanding quality meats, but you have to know where to buy and be willing to pay accordingly.
With that said, would you or any other posters care to share the places that you like to eat steak at these days. There was an Oder thread perhaps we can go their and revive (Ler me see I I could find it and link it)

Update: Found it..

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argen...-aires-14.html

Last edited by Flying Machine; Apr 6, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I always prefer a great asado with kidneys, mollejas, chinchulines and a few sausages. Throw in patatas soufle and I am good to go
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:51 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Yuuuummm, my mouth is watering for steak.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by keisari
I always prefer a great asado with kidneys, mollejas, chinchulines and a few sausages. Throw in patatas soufle and I am good to go
Good point... "asado" in Argentina is not really just Steak... its all that you describe above and much more....
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:52 pm

When are you coming down...??

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Yuuuummm, my mouth is watering for steak.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:32 pm

Good point... "asado" in Argentina is not really just Steak... its all that you describe above and much more....
Chorizo I like but the dogs get the other bits mentioned.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Chorizo I like but the dogs get the other bits mentioned.
Eso es un sacrilegio
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by keisari
Eso es un sacrilegio
What can you expect from a Dude that wears a skirt....?????

Hiddy's idea of an Asado is New York Strip... perhaps a Rib-Eye when he is feeling like walking on the wild side....?

Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:52 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

When are you coming down...??
Seriously, I'm looking now for a trip in late August to Puerto Madryn. Thanks to this thread, I'm back on the Argentinian project.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.