Search

WSJ: Argentina Plans to Allow First Budget Airline to Begin Flying in Country

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2017, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/AA
WSJ: Argentina Plans to Allow First Budget Airline to Begin Flying in Country

Argentina Plans to Allow First Budget Airline to Begin Flying in Country

Startup low-cost carrier FlyBondi seeks flying approval and expects to begin service in September

BUENOS AIRES—Argentina’s government said Monday it plans to allow the first budget airline to begin flying in the country, opening up one of the biggest untapped domestic airline markets to increased competition.

The move, which includes the approval of 135 new airline routes, is the latest in a series of pro-business measures by President Mauricio Macri since he began overhauling the economy more than a year ago.

Note: You have to go thru the WSJ twitter to get to the article.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:18 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
Flybondi still has to be approved. The government asked them yesterday for concrete plans with regard to purchase or lease of aircraft.

Alas del sur , Andes and American Jet were given the green light/

Avianca Colombia was put on hold until the government publishes new legislation with regard to government offical and therir relatives "conflicts of interest"
Old Mar 7, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
I am very sceptical regarding Flybondi. Their whole programme seems strange and far-fetched – beginning with their hub at EPA, which isn't even a civilian airport. And while Andes already exists and Avianca has already brought two ATRs into the country (LV-GUG and LV-GUH, both at their AEP hangar), nothing serious regarding fleet has come from Flybondi. Let's see what happens.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 6:45 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
This is all still very much in the initial stages, but I think it is a good move in the right direction. The size of the domestic airline industry is ridiculously small for a country of this size, it makes a lot of sense to get more people flying and get busses off the highways which are already overloaded with other traffic.

Its not going to be an overnight thing, but I anticipate that domestic fares will slowly start to adjust - with the real noticeable price drops occurring in about 2-3 years, as more players move in and grow their routes/fleets.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 6:46 am

Rumours floating about that Avianca are thinking about walking away.

They have two planes here but they dont know when they can use them.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The way things work here a start date of September 2018 is being optimistic never mind 2017. I imagine they'll start serving one or two plum routes first then take it from there.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by malagajohn
Rumours floating about that Avianca are thinking about walking away.

They have two planes here but they dont know when they can use them.
Sorry , only one plane here at present

The second one is painted and was ready to leave Toulouse for Argentina . But apparently they have cancelled the delivery flight...
Old Mar 7, 2017, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by malagajohn
Sorry , only one plane here at present

The second one is painted and was ready to leave Toulouse for Argentina . But apparently they have cancelled the delivery flight...
I had lunch today with a friend who is a pretty high-level official at the ministry of transportation and I asked about Avianca. My friend was more sceptical towards Avianca Argentina than towards Flybondi.

It seemed to my friend that the whole rush for opening Avianca Argentina was due to the fact that G. Efromovich has put the Avianca Group for sale and wanted to add another asset to the company so as to rise its sale price. But their business plan is null and other than registering an LV- plane they seem to be quite lost on what to do next.

I asked my friend about the rumours that Avianca is walking away, and dismissed them. "They just say that so they appear on the papers and may get special treatment from the government".

Again, we shall see.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 3:12 am

Interesting Marambio

I also hear similar stories about Flybondi / ie that they are trying to sell the company to an investment fund who will bring in the planes....
Old Mar 8, 2017, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I would not be surprised to see labo(u)r actions taking place at AR/4M on the day(s) any of these start service. (This post isn't to discuss strikes, etc., just rather as a heads-up to anyone flying on such a day.)
Old May 2, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Any recent reports on Flybondi? Are foreign nationals allowed to buy tickets on their website? I did a mock booking and seemed to be able to do so, but perhaps someone with actual experience can confirm? Also, any thoughts on El palomar airport (getting there, etc)?
Old May 2, 2018, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by RafKa
Any recent reports on Flybondi? Are foreign nationals allowed to buy tickets on their website? I did a mock booking and seemed to be able to do so, but perhaps someone with actual experience can confirm? Also, any thoughts on El palomar airport (getting there, etc)?
The Bubble?s Guide to Getting to El Palomar Airport | The Bubble | Argentina News
Old May 2, 2018, 10:08 pm

I disagree with The Bubble -- there's no need to take a bus from El Palomar train station to the airport. They are just 2 blocks away! And apparently the city government of Morón has added new signage and lighting from the train station to the airport, so walking should be pretty straightforward. In all the motorways of the Greater BA area they have also added signs to "Aeropuerto El Palomar", so getting there by car should also be easy. Tienda León also has a stand at EPA and they offer chauffeur cars and their classic coach services to Retiro.

There are plans to build a new terminal at EPA. So far the civilian airport is just a small house with check-in counters, a tiny security area, two gates and a small café. I read that a Chilean low-cost airline wants to fly SCL-EPA, maybe then they will need more space.

I haven't flown Flybondi, but I know a few people who have and they were quite satisfied. They have a buy on board menu (prices in ARS are apparently quite reasonable, cash only), and outside of Buenos Aires they use all the main airports. A friend flew them to Mendoza a few weeks ago and the CEO was onboard with his dog, a Labrador called Nelson -- which is also the name of F0's first aircraft.

I live close to AEP and I don't have to pay for most of my domestic travel, so F0 doesn't make much sense to me. But if they ever have a good price on a flight I plan to take, I could happily give them a try.
Old May 5, 2018, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I had a quick look on their website and to my surprise saw their fares were very reasonable. A positive step towards cheaper air travel is great as I no longer have any wish to spend ten hours on an overnight coach, comfortable as they are, ever again.
Old May 6, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Great stuff - I wasn’t sure if they were already operating or if they hit a (legal) bump along the way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.