Wiki Posts
Search

Over the mountains to Mendoza

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2017, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Over the mountains to Mendoza

Thinking seriously of connecting into 2017's Cow Do, I'm wondering about the road conditions on Santiago to Mendoza in late August.

Will the snows be gone by then and the buses reliable?

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Jan 2, 2017, 3:53 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Late August is still Ski Season down here, so snow is a very distinct possibility. However, this doesn't mean roads will be closed and bus service disrupted.... it would take quite a Blizzard to do that. Not saying it hasn't happened before, but chances of you being able to do the travel by land are very good.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Thanks

Continuing to be wandering

Fred
Old Jan 25, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA, DL
If you decide to rent a car be sure to do your due diligence. Argentina has some rules/laws about their rental cars passing into other countries. Some paper work is required and must be requested in advance. Chile I believe have similar rules as well.

Also they will not let you pass particular stretches of highway approaching the Andes without showing the authorities your chains for tires at check points.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 9:11 pm
Community Director Emerita

I have no information to offer as to the weather conditions but wanted to say my bus trip from Mendoza to Santiago was one of the more stunning road trips I've ever taken. I loved it and would happily do it again. Be prepared for an hour or so for the border formalities as you leave Argentina and enter Chile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.