Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for updated ATM advice in Argentina

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by RobertWill
I imagine most are either fearful of either the taxman or want to avoid the credit card fees in Argentina as a merchant. I remember a store owner telling me that they lost up to 10% a couple of years back plus the 21% VAT tax so I imagine the motivation for cash is high. Cash is really king here!
Well, the store owner may "lose" up to 10% in bank related fees (sounds a bit exaggerated, but who knows) but the 21% VAT is just theft.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 6:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RobertWill
I imagine most are either fearful of either the taxman or want to avoid the credit card fees in Argentina as a merchant. I remember a store owner telling me that they lost up to 10% a couple of years back plus the 21% VAT tax so I imagine the motivation for cash is high. Cash is really king here!
Yes avoiding the tax man is the obvious reason for retailers to refuse payment by credit card. After seeing how consumers are treated in the UK my wife doesn't stand for any nonsense here when she encounters a greedy shopkeeper/restaurant owner/tradesman especially those who doen't give out receipts. She makes it clear to them she knows what they're up to so a discount for cash is usually forthcoming.
A well known BA tobacconist refused to accept payment by credit card when I purchased a large order with them last time I was in. Cash only he said despite his door being adorned by every card logo under the sun. I was ready for walking out until my wife agreed a no receipt deal.

35 years ago in the UK it wasn't unknown for smaller retailers to slap on a fee when paying by credit card but that practice soon disappeared. Argentina does tend to trail behind the rest of the world in many areas. When it comes to consumer rights they're not even at the races.
It's being widely reported today on Facebook holidaymakers in Mar del Plata have been getting the 'no payment by credit card' from cafe/restaurant owners. I suspect the credit card companies will be keen to see this practice being stopped.

Last edited by HIDDY; Jan 25, 2017 at 11:37 am
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the thread. Seems like we're going to be making constant ATM visits (and hoping they work). Does anyone know if my wife and I have separate ATM cards linked to the same bank account, could we each withdraw 2400 x 2 in one day? Otherwise, if no one takes credit cards, I can see "finding a working ATM machine" to be an almost daily activity.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 7:22 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
I know they are used less these days, but travelers checks may (?) still be an option. I understand that Amex can deliver them to you in the USA and you should be able to exchange them for Cash at the Amex offices here near Retiro (downtown EZE).

If you have an Amex card, I suggest you calling them up and asking how this would work and if there are any fees when you cash them here in Buenos Aires.

If this works, then you could plan on doing only 1 visit to Amex when you arrive and use that option to collect all the cash you need in one shot.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Silver
Flying to Argentina next week landing in AEP from GRU. Was wondering if there is any up to date advice on ATM withdrawals. Have the limits increased? Should I instead try to change USD to Pesos on arrival at AEP (or maybe at GRU)?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mzb00
Flying to Argentina next week landing in AEP from GRU. Was wondering if there is any up to date advice on ATM withdrawals. Have the limits increased? Should I instead try to change USD to Pesos on arrival at AEP (or maybe at GRU)?
Limits don't seem to have increased (at least in my limited experiences); i.e., $2500 is the limit, which includes the ATM fee, so that really limits you to $2300.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
I can get 3000 pesos out with my Argie card . The people in the bank say that the limits will be increased shortly.

But they have been saying that for a few months now.....
Old Aug 12, 2017, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by mzb00
You could try and change at the Banco Nacion . Make sure you keep your boarding card as the "rules" say that only bona fide travelers can use the FX facilities.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by malagajohn
I can get 3000 pesos out with my Argie card . The people in the bank say that the limits will be increased shortly.

But they have been saying that for a few months now.....
Which is strange considering the bank ATM didn't have any problem accepting a 10,000 peso deposit the other day.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Limits have increased for Argentine cards. I think the Central Bank now sets no official limit (they used to) and it depends on the bank - I operate with Santander and Ciudad and both set the limit at 15,000 pesos per day on their own cashpoints, and 5,000 pesos in other banks'. I guess this must be some sort of new standard because in neither case I asked for a limit increase, it just happened.

I have no idea about foreign cards, though.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
At least as of 2 weeks ago, the limit on foreign cards was still at 2x $2300 per day.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
You could try and change at the Banco Nacion . Make sure you keep your boarding card as the "rules" say that only bona fide travelers can use the FX facilities.
Can anyone confirm there is a Banco de la Nacion at AEP? I've used the one at EZE many times, but can't recall ever seeing one at AEP.

My arrival point in Argentina on an upcoming trip is via AEP this time and would appreciate the feedback.

Thanks!
Old Aug 13, 2017, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OskiBear
Can anyone confirm there is a Banco de la Nacion at AEP? I've used the one at EZE many times, but can't recall ever seeing one at AEP.

My arrival point in Argentina on an upcoming trip is via AEP this time and would appreciate the feedback.

Thanks!
I don't recall seeing one @ AEP. The BN website shows this as a branch:

ANEXO OPERATIVO J. NEWBERY
Sucursal 0004
Avda.Rafael Obligado s/n°
Total cajeros: 0
Total terminales autoservicio: 0
Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:56 am

its located adjacent to international arrivals but it is a much smaller branch than the one at EZE

Its open from 6.00am until midnight
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
its located adjacent to international arrivals but it is a much smaller branch than the one at EZE

Its open from 6.00am until midnight
Fantastic. Thanks for the info!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.