Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Using hotel points for a Buenos Aires stay

Old Oct 17, 2016, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm beginning my search for accommodations for an upcoming visit to Buenos Aires so, as a Flyertalker, I'm first considering my options using loyalty points. Most of the chain hotels seem "overpriced" on points: in other words, it doesn't seem to make sense to use points because many of the hotels are in high award categories but the room rates aren't that high.

The other thing complicating my search is that there are 3 of us (my wife and I are bringing our young adult daughter) and most of the hotels are geared toward 2 guests and either don't accommodate three or charge a lot for the additional guest (like $50/night at the Sheraton Libertador).

One exception is in the Wyndham Rewards program. The Howard Johnson's Plaza Hotel on Florida St. is only $30 plus a very modest 3000 points. And they have rooms with 2 queen beds and no surcharge for 3 people. Seems like quite a deal. But, all things being equal, I'd rather stay at a slightly nicer hotel, and I'd rather not stay on Florida St. How is that area these days? It certainly is a tempting offer.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 10:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's a second Sheraton attached to a LC.

BsAs has lots of interesting independent boutique hotels.

Some like the Sofitel and also the former Marriott.

I like the PH on points and cash combined with a Diamond Suite Upgrade.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 2:02 pm

The Brick (former Casear Park) is Accor and has rooms that fit 3 (with roll-away). Very nice in good location.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just a follow-up: for three persons, we wound up staying on cash & points at the Howard Johnson's Florida Street. For 3000 points and $30/night (no tax -- and you can pay by credit card in US dollars to avoid a bad exchange rate), this hotel is an excellent deal -- especially if you have more than 2 people because they don't charge you for extra persons up to 4. Two queen bed rooms, but they actually put a third bed in our room. This is a "weak" 4-star hotel -- but only a little less fancy than one of the nearby Sheratons. The free breakfast, while sweeter than what Americans are used to, was good -- better than what you'd get at, say, a Hyatt Place in the USA. Like real scrambled eggs. The Retiro/Microcenter location is good again for tourists. It's super convenient, and feels very safe. Just ignore the "cambio, cambio" guys (how is this still a business in Argentina?). The fact that there are no longer lots of homeless people sleeping on the streets these days adds to the area's appeal.

EDIT: I see that, after the recent Wyndham Rewards devaluation, new bookings at the HJ Florida Street are $35 and 3000 points. Still a great deal. There's another "boutique" HJ in Recoleta I'm planning on trying later this year -- it gets 4.5 stars on tripadvisor -- but the cost of that one has now increased to $45 and 3000 points.

Last edited by iahphx; Mar 14, 2017 at 7:32 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.