Search

Foreign tourists will be exempt from IVA on accomodations

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marambio
Great post, Chaltén, muchas gracias.
+1. ^

True. In Tierra del Fuego you won't be refunded because they will not charge the VAT to anyone
Well, another way to look at it is that they will refund you the totality of the VAT you paid down to the very last centavo. It is just that this total amounts to exactly nada.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 10:25 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Excellent post Chalten !!! Thanks for taking time to post. ^ ^ ^

Please keep us updated with new information as you get it and are able to share it with us.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Mendoza Sheraton Refunded

The Sheraton in Mendoza crossed the IVA from my bill on check-out without having to prompt them. This was a week ago.

The Yrigoyen 111 Hotel in Cordoba refused to refund about 10 days ago. Not sure why, but the reservation (not a deposit or a payment) was made through Orbitz on Dec 30.

I should have stayed at the Sheraton while in Cordoba.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 6:20 am

Smile

Originally Posted by chalten
Dear all,

It has been quite a month on this topic and my apologies on not coming back with new information. Too much travel lately.

After the anarchy of the first two weeks and only after several high level meetings between everyone involved, and the local tax authority sending our some additional explanations we can now say:

Most hotels are refunding VAT now, still some hotels will not do to certain limitations imposed by the law:
* stay prepayments done before Jan2
* not finding the entry stamp on passport
* have booked the hotel stay through a non authorized local travel agent/tour operator
* paying cash in any currency
* sharing the room with a resident
* corporate if paid by local subsidiary company

Some uncertain situations that hotels rather not refund:
* unsure on how to do it when stay includes other services apart from room and breakfast
* doubt the refund will get to the end consumer (when bought threw any kind of resellers)
* information on how it works for hotels outside Buenos Aires is taking long to "arrive" (we would need a whole new topic to explain this oddity).
* booked before Jan2, not prepaid but already invoiced by hotel
* just because. Four main situations: avoid the hasle, maintain parity with OTAs, cash in the benefit, or to give a commercial advantage to some distribution channel/partner.

In all I would say that around 80/90% of potential hotels are processing refund in some way, and the number is growing. I expect this to be stable in the upcoming two weeks.

Will this mean it will work flawlessly? not yet. We are in a transition period until July. Tax authority can change things any time.

Now remember that not all hotels can refund, there are two situations when it is absolutely not possible:
- Hotels located in Tierra del Fuego Island (Rio Grande and Ushuaia, as well as some estancias) because the island is exempt from VAT.
- Hotels which have a simplied fiscal category, usually small hotels in smaller towns, estancias or lodges whose main activity is not lodging.

Hope to clear some doubts, if not please let me know.
Yes, excellent post, Chalten. Let's keep ourselves updated during this transition period.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: JJ OW Emerald, TK*G, O6*G, Smiles Diamond, IC Amb, Le Club Platinum, former LH SEN (miss it!)
Can I please ask for an update on it? Even paying a prepaid rate to a Accor's or IHG's property in Buenos Aires, will I be able to get a refund in my credit card processed by the hotel when I arrive?

Am I understanding it correctly?

Thank you very much for this very informative post.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlexMC
Can I please ask for an update on it? Even paying a prepaid rate to a Accor's or IHG's property in Buenos Aires, will I be able to get a refund in my credit card processed by the hotel when I arrive?

My experience is with IHG rather than Accor but I recently booked an IC room at a prepaid rate and they only charged the amount minus the VAT to my card.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I have an upcoming stay at the Hilton in Buenos Aires and saw this on my reservation/confirmation:

VAT on room rates will be reimbursed if the following conditions are met: Being non-resident of Argentina/Presenting passport plus migration stamp or form/Paying w/ a non-Argentinian credit card/Staying less than 90 days
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
My experience tells me the no VAT scheme for Tourists is working well. I know of small non-Chain hotels that offer a transparent system of quotes and will not charge VAT on rates reserved and paid with a non-Argentine Credit Card and with proof of Passport and Immigration Stamp.... so in these cases, there is no refund but a net (ie. no VAT) charge of the Room rate.

My most recent experience with this was at the Fierro Hotel.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 3:34 pm

Too all.. if anybody has issues with this system, and/or finds a Hotel is wanting to play games with the IVA (ie. not refunding or refusing to remove it from your bill), please let me know.

Fellow FTer Chalten is in the Travel Industry and he is involved from the Industry side in working on this issue. If there are any Bozos out there that want to game the system and defraud visitors using this Scheme, I want to do my part to weed the bad guys out, so please do report any issues here.

Thanks !!!
Old Aug 19, 2017, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Too all.. if anybody has issues with this system, and/or finds a Hotel is wanting to play games with the IVA (ie. not refunding or refusing to remove it from your bill), please let me know.

Fellow FTer Chalten is in the Travel Industry and he is involved from the Industry side in working on this issue. If there are any Bozos out there that want to game the system and defraud visitors using this Scheme, I want to do my part to weed the bad guys out, so please do report any issues here.

Thanks !!!
You can start with these guys....Tourico Holidays.....and I believe they have a branch office in Buenos Aires.

https://login.touricoholidays.com/

I booked a series of Dazzler Hotels in Buenos Aires via Chase Ultimate Rewards. Tourico does the actual booking for Chase.

Tourico refused to refund the IVA from Dazzler. After months of fighting, finally Chase stepped up, and issued a refund out their own pocket.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by jaymar01
You can start with these guys....Tourico Holidays.....and I believe they have a branch office in Buenos Aires.

https://login.touricoholidays.com/

I booked a series of Dazzler Hotels in Buenos Aires via Chase Ultimate Rewards. Tourico does the actual booking for Chase.

Tourico refused to refund the IVA from Dazzler. After months of fighting, finally Chase stepped up, and issued a refund out their own pocket.
Hello, I would need you PM me with details, res number, etc, with these I can forward it to the Tourism Ministry for them to do their work and follow up with them.

As far as I know, Tourico is not a legal entity in Argentina, having staff or a "suite #" locally, does not mean anything. However, the hotel should have refunded the VAT as I would assume payment was done by an international wire transfer or by international credit/debit card. If it was some kind of barter agreement, then VAT has to be charged.

Wait for your message.
regards,
Martin
Old Aug 20, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by chalten
Hello, I would need you PM me with details, res number, etc, with these I can forward it to the Tourism Ministry for them to do their work and follow up with them.

As far as I know, Tourico is not a legal entity in Argentina, having staff or a "suite #" locally, does not mean anything. However, the hotel should have refunded the VAT as I would assume payment was done by an international wire transfer or by international credit/debit card. If it was some kind of barter agreement, then VAT has to be charged.

Wait for your message.
regards,
Martin
Thanks. I've finally been reimbursed by Chase, not Tourico....so it's really not an issue for me anymore.
And, I'm sure the issue was with Tourico, and not Dazzler. The Dazzler Hotels were great during my dispute.

But anybody booking hotels in Argentina via Chase Ultimate Rewards should be very wary if Tourico is serving as Chase's booking agent.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
New rules on how to invoice non residents just published for hotels .

https://www.hosteltur.lat/178600_hot...o-10-dias.html
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by malagajohn
New rules on how to invoice non residents just published for hotels .

https://www.hosteltur.lat/178600_hot...o-10-dias.html
You need not worry. This is more of a fiscal requirement rather than a change of procedure to the guest. Argentina has several types of invoices depending on the type of consumer and type of seller... A, B, C, M, E... now for the hotel VAT refund, hoteliers AND local travel agents who refund VAT, need to give guests an invoice with the letter T.

There are still quite a number of problems to be solved, so I would recommend that you ask for the invoice to either your Argentinean travel agent or the hotel, and if they do not produce it, be certain that you are not charged the 21% VAT. Remember payment can only be done with international credit/debit card or international wire transfer.
If they give you the VAT refund by paying cash of any sort... well no need to explain...

Hope I have shed some light.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: Eurobonus EBD, BW Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AlexMC

Hi,
first time going back to Argentina after the VAT change, I understand IHG won't charge VAT on a prepaid rate would I be correct assuming that doing a prepaid Expedia/Hotels.com booking would get a VAT refund as well? Or are the expedia prices already Without VAT ( it says VAT included on my local hotels.com)
but it says argentine nationals to pay 21% mixed messages indeed...

Last edited by jumbooze; Nov 13, 2017 at 12:35 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.