Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shipping to Argentina from U.S.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Shipping to Argentina from U.S.

A group of us are going bird hunting south of BA near Chascomus. We were thinking about shipping our waders and heavy hunting clothing via FedEx or some other shipping service. Would this be feasible, or is there some quirk about shipping to Argentina that we are missing?

Many thanks
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Things that may get held up in customs and difficulty to retrieve, things that get "lost," etc.

Others may have different opinions, but you are probably best off paying excess luggage fees to have the items on your aircraft, leaving the airport with you. It may also cost less than shipping.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
I think it's still illegal to ship used clothing into Argentina (not accompanying a passenger). You could ship new clothing and pay tax on it ...
Old Apr 4, 2016, 5:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Things that may get held up in customs and difficulty to retrieve, things that get "lost," etc.

Others may have different opinions, but you are probably best off paying excess luggage fees to have the items on your aircraft, leaving the airport with you. It may also cost less than shipping.
I agree....take them with you or you may not ever see them again.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 7:53 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
What Outfitter are you & your group using...? I would suggest contacting them and asking for their advice/assistance, but all the hunting & fishing groups that I deal with every year bring all their gear with them.

FedEx to Argentina will not be inexpensive and there are potential customs issues that you will probably have to deal with. The above advice posted is spot on... unless you hear otherwise from your Outfitter, schlep the stuff !!!

Please feel free to contact me via PM or email for further details. ^
Old Apr 5, 2016, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks, all. G-K, e-mail sent!
Old Apr 5, 2016, 7:24 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
In my experience UPS and DHL work perfectly but they can be quite expensive. Never tried FedEx so can't comment. Regular mail will probably get stuck at customs and retrieving the items should take at least half a day. Considering the prices involved, I would go with Eastbay1K's advice and pay the excess luggage fee.
Old May 19, 2016, 9:49 am

This is still happening today.

Wife has been on the phone after a package from Europe didn't arrive. Seems all packages to our town no matter if it's your first, second or third are still being impounded by customs for self collection...at your own expense of course. In other words you have to spend more in cost of travel and time to collect something that's worth less.

I'm very disappointed Macri hasn't sorted this farce out by now.
Old May 19, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
What is inside the Package....??

Originally Posted by HIDDY
This is still happening today.

Wife has been on the phone after a package from Europe didn't arrive. Seems all packages to our town no matter if it's your first, second or third are still being impounded by customs for self collection...at your own expense of course. In other words you have to spend more in cost of travel and time to collect something that's worth less.

I'm very disappointed Macri hasn't sorted this farce out by now.
Old May 19, 2016, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Probably nothing anymore.
Old May 19, 2016, 5:23 pm

It's a down jacket Alex my wife left at my sisters last year. We thought we were going back this year but decided not to. As the weather here has turned cold early this year she asked my sister to send it on so she can get use of it.

Probably nothing anymore.
Like the 50g packet of British pipe tobacco my brother in law sent me over a year and a half ago. Hope the sod who kept that didn't enjoy it. I've run out of it again so it looks like I shall have to remain a grumpy sod until I make another trip back to the UK.

I don't mind paying duty on imported goods but this nonsense of having to make a four hour round trip plus standing in a queue for hours just to collect a parcel is ridiculous.
Old May 20, 2016, 2:58 am

Hiddy, you can find acceptable imported tobacco here in the big City. If you like Im more than happy to purchase some for you and send it out to you in the sticks....

Contact me via PM and we can arrange. OCA Postal will make sure you get your package, no AFIP or Customs intervention required..... ^
Old May 20, 2016, 7:19 am

Hiddy, you can find acceptable imported tobacco here in the big City. If you like Im more than happy to purchase some for you and send it out to you in the sticks....

Contact me via PM and we can arrange. OCA Postal will make sure you get your package, no AFIP or Customs intervention required..... ^
Thanks Alex for the kind offer but I found Tabaqueria Inglesa a while back which stocks a decent rage of European pipe tobaccos so whenever I've been in the capital I stock up there. Trouble is my favourite baccy 'Condor' don't export to N/S America and there is no other suitable substitute. I may need to get someone flying in from the UK to bring some for me.

I thought Macri had changed the rules on receiving packages from abroad? I browse a BsAs Expats forum and the angst these restrictions are causing to foreign residents is unbelievable. People waiting months for a present from home to arrive (if it arrives at all) then having to queue for hours to have it released isn't a good advert for Argentina in this day and age.
Old May 20, 2016, 11:10 am

Ah.... so apart from being a grumpy old fart, you are also picky with your Tobacco !!!??????

Old May 20, 2016, 11:39 am

Ah.... so apart from being a grumpy old fart, you are also picky with your Tobacco !!!??????

Yes I admit to being both.

Anyway you didn't answer my Macri question. Was it not reported he had announced a while back the impounding of personal packages was stopping? If so why hasn't it happened? The practice must be costing a ruddy fortune to monitor. I dread to think how many packages of personal possessions are lying abandoned in some rat infested shed

Sorry Alex I know you're a Macri fan but things like this just get up peoples noses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.