Reload this Page >

Solo dining in BA -- suggestions

Old Mar 17, 2016, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold

Hi all,

I'll be making a short first-time visit to BA this weekend, arriving Saturday morning and leaving at midnight on Sunday.

I'm traveling alone and staying at the PH -- any suggestions on Saturday/Sunday lunch spots and Sunday dinner that might be less awkward or elicit fewer side-eyes when I ask for a table for one? I'm doing SaltShaker on Saturday, so that should be covered.

Don Julio looks like a good steak choice, but would you guys recommend or lunch or dinner?

Thanks!
Old Mar 17, 2016, 9:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nethead25
Hi all,

I'll be making a short first-time visit to BA this weekend, arriving Saturday morning and leaving at midnight on Sunday.

I'm traveling alone and staying at the PH -- any suggestions on Saturday/Sunday lunch spots and Sunday dinner that might be less awkward or elicit fewer side-eyes when I ask for a table for one? I'm doing SaltShaker on Saturday, so that should be covered.

Don Julio looks like a good steak choice, but would you guys recommend or lunch or dinner?

Thanks!
I often ask for a table for just myself when I'm in BA. The waiters and other restaurant patrons may assume I'm either waiting for someone to join me at my tabe or that I'm visiting for work or something, but most people just seem to be focused on their own tables and perhaps doing some people watching. I would suggest going for restaurants regardless of whether you are going to eat alone or not.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you want to dine in the PH's upscale restaurant on the Palace side, as a hotel guest you will be treated very well, although it's expensive for BA.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 8:45 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Solo diners are welcome and are not subject to any more attention that a couple or group would normally attract.... I would just decide where you want to go and... enjoy your meal(s) !!! ^

Please check the F&B specific thread in this forum for more details.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Solo diners are welcome and are not subject to any more attention that a couple or group would normally attract.... I would just decide where you want to go and... enjoy your meal(s) !!! ^

Please check the F&B specific thread in this forum for more details.
Yes solo dining is not at all unusual.

If you eat early - soon after they start serving dinner - chances are it'll be quiet anyway.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT AA 1MM
Sola vs. solo?

Any differences one should be prepared for when dining out for lunches and dinners in cafés and restaurants when travelling sola in BsAs?
Many thanks.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 4:07 am

I would check for a food tour. Almost all big cities have them and it can be fun.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dia1
Any differences one should be prepared for when dining out for lunches and dinners in cafés and restaurants when travelling sola in BsAs?
Many thanks.
Other than the big embarrassing hat many establishments make you wear, and the single supplement (like a cruise ship cabin) charge, no, nothing I can think of
Old Mar 19, 2016, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Other than the big embarrassing hat many establishments make you wear, and the single supplement (like a cruise ship cabin) charge, no, nothing I can think of
Hmm, so I'm not sure if that's better or worse than the ~50% tip some restaurants added to the bills of solas elsewhere in Ltn Am where I used to live. ("It's for your convenience so you don't have to calculate it.") Depends on the hat, I guess.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.