Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel reservation currency

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2015, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Hotel reservation currency

When searching for a hotel in BA, the rates I am presented are in USD rather than pesos. This seems to be consistent both with the chains and independents on both online travel agents and directly. Am I actually locking my rate in USD or is the rate actually in ARS and is just not visible? Either way I would ideally like to settle my bill in blue cash allowing a stay at a price point I would otherwise not book.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 3:40 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
It is normal for rates to be quoted in US Dollars. You can pay in cash upon checkout, IF you booked a post-paid rate (and not a prepaid rate). The US Dollar rate will be converted at the official rate, allowing you to enjoy the ForEx spread, provided at the time of your check-out this spread still exists.

What are you intended dates of travel....???
Old Nov 17, 2015, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
It is normal for rates to be quoted in US Dollars. You can pay in cash upon checkout, IF you booked a post-paid rate (and not a prepaid rate). The US Dollar rate will be converted at the official rate, allowing you to enjoy the ForEx spread, provided at the time of your check-out this spread still exists.

What are you intended dates of travel....???
My travel is in mid-January, in to Santiago and out of Buenos Aires with a date for the crossing of the Andes yet to be selected. That is a very interesting conditional statement you added, I had thought the spread would survive either outcome Sunday.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 6:22 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
My travel is in mid-January, in to Santiago and out of Buenos Aires with a date for the crossing of the Andes yet to be selected. That is a very interesting conditional statement you added, I had thought the spread would survive either outcome Sunday.
One of the candidates (Macri) said if he wins he will liberalise the currency market soon after taking office. The logical consequence is that the official and the black market rates will converge, with "experts" putting their bets at 1 USD = 14/15 official pesos by February (December and January would probably be unstable exchange-wise). Of course this is an electoral promise, but the guy seems serious on the matter.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Marambio
One of the candidates (Macri) said if he wins he will liberalise the currency market soon after taking office. The logical consequence is that the official and the black market rates will converge, with "experts" putting their bets at 1 USD = 14/15 official pesos by February (December and January would probably be unstable exchange-wise). Of course this is an electoral promise, but the guy seems serious on the matter.
Yes interesting times ahead.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:45 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Yes interesting times ahead.
Aside from interesting, Argentina is going to begin another of its strong upwards cycles. What remains to be seen is if this time we are able to turn yet another growth cycle into something long term that stays its course, allowing for some real structural changes in various basic aspects of the Economy, the Political System and Society as a whole.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 9:11 am

Aside from interesting, Argentina is going to begin another of its strong upwards cycles. What remains to be seen is if this time we are able to turn yet another growth cycle into something long term that stays its course, allowing for some real structural changes in various basic aspects of the Economy, the Political System and Society as a whole.
Here's hoping for the best. They say Macri has 70% of the vote so that at least is one hurdle out of the way towards a better future. Investors are ready and waiting. ^
Old Nov 20, 2015, 7:20 pm

Why do you think Argentina is going to start a strong upward cycle? I'm curious. Commodity prices don't look likely to rise significantly any time soon.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by jimmac
Why do you think Argentina is going to start a strong upward cycle? I'm curious. Commodity prices don't look likely to rise significantly any time soon.
I'm no expert but I would think finally getting rid of the Kirchner woman will go a hell of a long way to improving things. She's had a habit of making friends with all the wrong people while making enemies with all the right people which has seriously dented investor confidence. Macri winning tomorrow will only help matters even more.

Gaucho100K is more qualified to explain the impact of it all.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by jimmac
So commodity prices is the only relevant variable in the Argentine Economy......? If you are interested in the subject, I suggest you brush up on your reading about what the Argentine Economy is all about - it will do wonders with your capacity to ask the right questions, and will give you a lot of your own answers !!!
Old Nov 21, 2015, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
So commodity prices is the only relevant variable in the Argentine Economy......? If you are interested in the subject, I suggest you brush up on your reading about what the Argentine Economy is all about - it will do wonders with your capacity to ask the right questions, and will give you a lot of your own answers !!!
The above post has been brought to you by the good folks at OMNI, with a special thanks to the folks at OMNI/PR. We now continue our regularly scheduled Hotel Reservation Currency programming.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 5:16 pm

Yes, thanks for reminding me, Eastbay1K... back to travel & hotel related issues please !!! ^
Old Nov 22, 2015, 7:23 am

Were you having a bad day? This is a quite out of character response. I'm puzzled why your usual helpful and informative answers on all things Argentine descended to condescension and sarcasm. Hope today is a better day.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
In BA now. The blue rate took a dive right before the election to ~14, and has rebounded back to 15+ as of today.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:30 am

Hm... if the exchange rate spread gets cut by Feb I might have to reconsider my plans. The spread is nice right now, but if that becomes official I would expect the official prices to increase as well :-(

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.