Wiki Posts
Search

Buy argentine pesos at SCL?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2015, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC S100K, SPG, etc., NEXUS, GOES
Buy argentine pesos at SCL?

I'll be flying to Buenos Aires on the Air Canada flight from YYZ that stops at SCL. I'll need enough cash when I get to EZE for the bus or taxi into town, and the exchange rates at EZE range from awful to absurd.

Do the exchange booths at SCL offer a good rate on USD->ARS? I'd think they'd want to get rid of their ARS.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Your best bet still may be to get some upon arrival @ EZE if you have a no-fee ATM, or a no forex fee credit card to charge the taxi fare. And who knows, you might find someone on your flight who wants to sell pesos at a rate better (for him) than the blue rate, but better for you than the official rate.

I would not expect anything other than "official" plus commission @ SCL.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Originally Posted by jrlevine
I'll be flying to Buenos Aires on the Air Canada flight from YYZ that stops at SCL. I'll need enough cash when I get to EZE for the bus or taxi into town, and the exchange rates at EZE range from awful to absurd.

Do the exchange booths at SCL offer a good rate on USD->ARS? I'd think they'd want to get rid of their ARS.
I'd advise you to get a remise (private car service) into town. WorldCar have a booth that is on your left hand side just before you exit the sterile area (the booth is also accessible from the other (non-sterile) side. The fare would be about ARS$450 (no tip needed), and they will accept USD (if you have them). I'd ask them what the rates would be (ARS or USD). It's not worth the hassle of trying to save a few dollars for just the fare into town. If you want to get ARS to pay for the fare, there are a couple of ATMs on the left as you proceed towards the terminal entrance (it's only a few steps from exiting the sterile area.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I would not expect anything other than "official" plus commission @ SCL.
You are expecting wrongly.

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
On my last day in Santiago, I decided to exchange my last Chilean Pesos for Argentinian Pesos at AFEX Catedral. The buy rate was 54. The quoted sell rate for dollars was 615.
So, that makes for a "blue rate" of 615/54=11.39. Not bad considering the blue rate in BA is about 12.40 at this time.
At the airport, the buy rate was 59 + $1.50 comission.
Exchanging at SCL airport is still better than exchanging at the official rate in BA.
The offical rate back in April was about 8. The airport rate was 615/59= 10.42.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 4:29 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Haven't been to SCL in a while now but the exchange rate there (and everywhere in Chile for that matter) was always closer to the blue rate than to the official one.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: AC 50K, NZ Gold
I told the taxi driver to simply stop at Florida and got my pesos at the blue rate within 3 minutes.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:40 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Xoom is also an option, not as good as the Blue rate but still far better than the Official rate. Only hassle is that you have to pick up your cash from one of their locations.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC S100K, SPG, etc., NEXUS, GOES
just for the trip into town

Once I get to B.A. I'll be staying at a hotel downtown and changing cash via "cambio cambio" is no problem. It's just the money for the trip into town.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 8:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jrlevine
Once I get to B.A. I'll be staying at a hotel downtown and changing cash via "cambio cambio" is no problem. It's just the money for the trip into town.
I really wouldn't waste time thinking too much about this. Even if you have to pay the official rate for your taxi ride into town you're not exactly going to get ripped off. If you do arrive peso less try asking at one of the taxi booths if you can pay with dollars at a more favourable rate.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Eugeniusz Bodo
I told the taxi driver to simply stop at Florida and got my pesos at the blue rate within 3 minutes.
Wow! Thats pretty smart, would have never thought of that.. 3 minutes is mighty fast. Glad that it worked out for you..
Old Nov 3, 2015, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Marambio
Haven't been to SCL in a while now but the exchange rate there (and everywhere in Chile for that matter) was always closer to the blue rate than to the official one.
Correct. One month ago I exchanged in Temuco CL. I used AFEX, which I think is the same company in SCL airport. I chatted with them a few days before, to be sure they would have enough ARS, then had Xoom (RIA was also an option) transfer USD to CLP for u$d10 fee. When I picked up, I exchanged for pesos Argentina as I had arranged. 5 minute on-site transaction. Overall it was closer to the blue. 1 U$D = 15AR$. More than u$1000 so enough cash for my trip, without killing time to exchange or Xoom pickup once in Argentina.

https://www.afex.cl/prontus/CambiosM...spx?leng=en-US
Old Nov 3, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by carride
Correct. One month ago I exchanged in Temuco CL. I used AFEX, which I think is the same company in SCL airport. I chatted with them a few days before, to be sure they would have enough ARS, then had Xoom (RIA was also an option) transfer USD to CLP for u$d10 fee. When I picked up, I exchanged for pesos Argentina as I had arranged. 5 minute on-site transaction. Overall it was closer to the blue. 1 U$D = 15AR$. More than u$1000 so enough cash for my trip, without killing time to exchange or Xoom pickup once in Argentina.

https://www.afex.cl/prontus/CambiosM...spx?leng=en-US
Thanks for the report and nicely executed.. I may exchange in SCL next month before I go to MDZ. That same exchange house at SCL bought back CLP to USD at rather attractive rates as well.. Safe Travels
Old Nov 4, 2015, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Eugeniusz Bodo
I would only suggest this if you are dealing with a known/trusted driver. Remember that the taxi will be containing everything you flew into Ezeiza with, and it's not unknown for a dodgy taxi driver to just disappear with all your stuff if you give him the opportunity.

Anyone who does get out of a taxi/car under a circumstance like this should take down the licence number of the car and, ideally, snap a photo of the sign they're supposed to display over the back of the seats that has the driver's licence number, etc.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Schultzois
I would only suggest this if you are dealing with a known/trusted driver. Remember that the taxi will be containing everything you flew into Ezeiza with, and it's not unknown for a dodgy taxi driver to just disappear with all your stuff if you give him the opportunity.

Anyone who does get out of a taxi/car under a circumstance like this should take down the licence number of the car and, ideally, snap a photo of the sign they're supposed to display over the back of the seats that has the driver's licence number, etc.
^

Unless I was using one of my couple of regular drivers, I would never ever do this. In the unlikely event I didn't have a choice, my "necessary" bag would come out with me, but I wouldn't want to be wandering Florida with a roller bag containing passport, keys, money, etc.

Better option is to see if the taxista might change you some $. It might not be at the best evar rate, but it should be at an "it will do" rate until further opportunity.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Taking risks all for the sake of getting a few extra pesos is totally ridiculous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.