Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ice Trekking at Glaciers During Wintertime

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2015, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Ice Trekking at Glaciers During Wintertime

The husband and I are planning two nights for El Calafate next month so we can see the glaciers and perhaps do some ice trekking. But it seems that some companies like Hielo only run tours until late-May. Does anyone know why this is and whether it would even be a good idea to ice trek during the winter months? If so, any tour companies to recommend?

Also, we have not decided on lodging. I figure lodging is pretty much all the same in El Calafate and just pick the one that looks the best? TIA
Old May 7, 2015, 7:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by vanderbilt
The husband and I are planning two nights for El Calafate next month so we can see the glaciers and perhaps do some ice trekking. But it seems that some companies like Hielo only run tours until late-May. Does anyone know why this is and whether it would even be a good idea to ice trek during the winter months? If so, any tour companies to recommend?

Also, we have not decided on lodging. I figure lodging is pretty much all the same in El Calafate and just pick the one that looks the best? TIA
Hielo y Aventura is the only company authorised to do tours on the glaciers so you cannot do an ice trek in the winter months with anyone else. It's not so much the temperature but the winds in winter can be very strong - the unpredictability of the weather plus very few tourists is presumably why they don't offer tours after late May

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.