Search

Earning FF miles with Argentine credit cards

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Earning FF miles with Argentine credit cards

Hello folks,

I looked for information through the forums but didn't seem to find anything. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It looks like 2015 is the year of going home to Argentina, at least for some considerable period of time. I still keep a savings account at Banco Ciudad, but once settled I'd like to bank with somebody who will let me earn FF miles when using their credit cards.

I used to have an American Express (Argentina) purchase card which proved to be quite useful, as you could transfer your points to any airline of your choice through their Membership Rewards programme. Of course at the time you could also enter the Centurion Lounge at EZE with the card (it was the green one), so if I wanted to get lounge access again I would have to apply for a gold card, am I correct?

Some years before that I had a BBVA Visa card which would earn miles on LAN, but at some point BBVA's banking fees skyrocketed so I cancelled it.

And of course there are the bunch of banks that offer AR Plus credit cards. Is any of those really worth it? I heard from friends that they actually charge you to join AR Plus (at least Banco Nación does/used to), which is a setback for me.

So, which bank/credit card, if any, do you recommend?

Thanks.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, US Air, UR, Hilton, PC
ICBC just cancelled their program with United Airlines, so I lost my one mile earner here. I'm not too familiar with any others unfortunately.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 7:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm really only interested in earning BA Avios to add to our balances but so far haven't come across anything suitable...not even one for earning Iberia Avios.

We got the BBVA Lanpass credit cards just for the sake of earning something. To be honest I haven't spent much time looking at the programme itself but from what I've seen it isn't all that great. Any shenanigans from BBVA Francais and we'll just ditch them.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 10:37 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Citibank cards issued in Argentina will get you AAdvantage miles. As noted above, BBVA plastic will get you LANPass Kilometers. Now that ICBC dropped United the rumor mill has it that Santander is trying to get them back.... (??)
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your answers.

It looks like American Express is still the way to go. They have a rate of 1 Iberia Avio per dollar spent which looks good. Interestingly enough, the rate goes down to 0.9 Avio per dollar if you transfer your points to BAEC. I guess it's time to quit BAEC for good.

I remember some years ago Banco Itaú had TAM Fidelidade cards, but it seems they don't issue those anymore.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Marambio
Thanks for your answers.

It looks like American Express is still the way to go. They have a rate of 1 Iberia Avio per dollar spent which looks good. Interestingly enough, the rate goes down to 0.9 Avio per dollar if you transfer your points to BAEC. I guess it's time to quit BAEC for good..
1 IB Avios per dollar is pretty okay. You can transfer IB Avios over to your BA Avios account online very easily 1 for 1 so I don't understand why they have the rate difference. Is there an annual fee for the AMEX card? That's what has always put me off them.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
1 IB Avios per dollar is pretty okay. You can transfer IB Avios over to your BA Avios account online very easily 1 for 1 so I don't understand why they have the rate difference. Is there an annual fee for the AMEX card? That's what has always put me off them.
The green purchase card is 1450 pesos per year, while the gold card (lounge access) is 2400 pesos per year, the first year being free of charge.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 5:23 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Getting around the Amex card fee when you join is pretty much impossible, but getting it refunded from the second year on is quite simple. You just have to have relevant use of the card, call them when the new annual fee is due and tell them you will close the account if they don't refund it. Works like clockwork. Given you like the 1 to 1 point thing and that the rest of the local plastic isn't appealing to you, seems like you and the wife are better served dumping all the rest of your local plastic and giving all the business to el Centurion......
Old Mar 7, 2015, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Getting around the Amex card fee when you join is pretty much impossible, but getting it refunded from the second year on is quite simple. You just have to have relevant use of the card, call them when the new annual fee is due and tell them you will close the account if they don't refund it. Works like clockwork. Given you like the 1 to 1 point thing and that the rest of the local plastic isn't appealing to you, seems like you and the wife are better served dumping all the rest of your local plastic and giving all the business to el Centurion......
I had an Amex card in Argentina and as far as I can remember they didn't charge the first year (that was in 2012), but it's always good to know there's a tool to sort it out in case they do.

Other than that, I have always been a happy Amex customer. Their card would work in ATMs (or cashpoints, as they call them here) across the world even when Visa wouldn't, and their customer service was always very helpful. Now that I have to deal with Visa everyday I do miss them (transferring my Amex card to the UK was way beyond my budget).
Old Mar 7, 2015, 10:12 pm

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
I'd choose Amex because of membership rewards being more flexible than other bank's offers, also Amex service is the best there is in Argentina (IMO). I'd get the Gold Charge Card, and consider even the Platinum Charge one. If you travel often, the last one might be worth taking into account.
If you're a dining out person, I'd suggest Citi's Citigold cards. They have lots of discounts and benefits in great restaurants, miles with AAdvantage and priority pass/etc.
But yes, as Gaucho1000k said, you can easily dodge amex yearly fees.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tuchop
I'd choose Amex because of membership rewards being more flexible than other bank's offers, also Amex service is the best there is in Argentina (IMO). I'd get the Gold Charge Card, and consider even the Platinum Charge one. If you travel often, the last one might be worth taking into account.
If you're a dining out person, I'd suggest Citi's Citigold cards. They have lots of discounts and benefits in great restaurants, miles with AAdvantage and priority pass/etc.
But yes, as Gaucho1000k said, you can easily dodge amex yearly fees.
Thanks for you answer.

I guess I'll go back to Amex once home -already got my ticket for August, booked it with Avios before BAEC's new "enhancement" comes into force-. I actually like the fact that you can choose to transfer your miles to airlines in all three big alliances instead of being forced to stay in only one. Useful in Argentina, where you're stuck with Skyteam for domestic travel but usually Oneworld offers the best ways to elope from the country.

I looked at the Platinum Card. Sounds nice and fancy, but 5,100 pesos per annum is a bit too much for my budget.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage, Aerolineas Plus, Hertz, Hyatt, Marriott , SPG.
^

American Express CHARGE cards (not credit cards) get you into the Centurion Lounge at EZE now (rules have changed in recent months).

Another option for cards, in this case credit cards, would be those from Citibank, you can collect AAdvantage miles.

And for Aerolineas Plus, you have 6 options:
http://www.aerolineas.com.ar/es-ar/a...splus/tarjetas
Old Mar 8, 2015, 10:40 pm

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
Originally Posted by Marambio
Thanks for you answer.

I guess I'll go back to Amex once home -already got my ticket for August, booked it with Avios before BAEC's new "enhancement" comes into force-. I actually like the fact that you can choose to transfer your miles to airlines in all three big alliances instead of being forced to stay in only one. Useful in Argentina, where you're stuck with Skyteam for domestic travel but usually Oneworld offers the best ways to elope from the country.

I looked at the Platinum Card. Sounds nice and fancy, but 5,100 pesos per annum is a bit too much for my budget.
I'd start with the Gold Charge card, for now. Use it for a year (free), and next year call them and tell them you'll be cancelling the card because the fee is too high for you. If you spent a good amount during that year, they'll waive the fee (Pesos $2400 ish). And once they do that ask them about the platinum card. I can't guarantee all this, but usually they'll discount those $2400 they just saved you on the platinum's fee and maybe its more accesible ($2600 ish left). If you travel often, those $2600 will be saved by using the benefits you have with them.
Anyways, you'd have a free year to decide .
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tuchop
I'd start with the Gold Charge card, for now. Use it for a year (free), and next year call them and tell them you'll be cancelling the card because the fee is too high for you. If you spent a good amount during that year, they'll waive the fee (Pesos $2400 ish). And once they do that ask them about the platinum card. I can't guarantee all this, but usually they'll discount those $2400 they just saved you on the platinum's fee and maybe its more accesible ($2600 ish left). If you travel often, those $2600 will be saved by using the benefits you have with them.
Anyways, you'd have a free year to decide .
Now that sounds like a true Flyertalker giving advice! Gracias!
Old Mar 10, 2015, 6:41 am

I had a look at the AMEX Argentina card and it states the first year is fee free.

The wife uses the Nativa card at the moment for the majority of her supermarket spend as there is a 30-40% cash back on every Tuesday at Vea which is a large saving and worth much more than miles. Soon as that offer ends we'll decide whether to go for the Amex or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.