Wiki Posts
Search

Recommended hotels Punta Arenas and Ushaia

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2015, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Recommended hotels Punta Arenas and Ushaia

Hi,

I am cruising from Punta Arenas (Chile) to Ushaia ( Argentina) in september this year and will have a night or two each end in those cities .

Can you please advice on good hotels in those cities.

I usually like 3 or 4 *s and am happy to avoid the big chains.

I prefer a quiet area that is safe to walk around in.

many thanks in advance
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I'll let you know about Ushuaia after our trip there next month.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Have a great time .
thank you
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: American AAdvantage, Aerolineas Plus, Hertz, Hyatt, Marriott , SPG.
I visited Ushuaia last week and stayed at the Albatros Hotel. It was a nice stay, hotel is close to everything and it was clean, bed was comfy and had all I needed during my stay. Wifi was ok and I have no complaints at all. I'd go with the best reviews for this hotel at Tripadvisor. My room was on the third floor facing Laserre Street and had a nice view from there.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:01 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by starlanet
I visited Ushuaia last week and stayed at the Albatros Hotel. It was a nice stay, hotel is close to everything and it was clean, bed was comfy and had all I needed during my stay. Wifi was ok and I have no complaints at all. I'd go with the best reviews for this hotel at Tripadvisor. My room was on the third floor facing Laserre Street and had a nice view from there.
Great mini-report, thanks for sharing !!!! ^
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
We were in Ushuaia for one night in March, and stayed at the Hotel Canal Beagle (an ACA property) before our trip to Antarctica. It's right in front of the Albatros, and the rates for the two hotels were pretty much the same. I'd call it a basic 2-star hotel (though they claim to be a 4-star), and very limited breakfast, but it was easy walking distance to the ship, and very convenient to everything else Ushuaia has to offer (though the city is so small, pretty much any hotel probably offers that). The staff was great - they let us store our bags for several hours after checking out and unexpectedly carried all our bags down the front stairs for us without asking.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:36 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by ozflier
I am cruising from Punta Arenas (Chile) to Ushaia ( Argentina) in september this year and will have a night or two each end in those cities .
If this is the Australis cruise, you'll have a great time. Just watch the guy behind the bar cope with everyone trying to get the most elaborate and expensive drinks when they start the trip (all drinks being free)..

Check Trip Advisor - I have posted (not as "og") on hotels I stayed in. Both cities are safe enough in the main tourist areas - no worries at all.

Do yourself a huge favour, ask in your Ushuaia hotel reception where to change USD at the Blue Dollar rate.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 6:52 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by og
If this is the Australis cruise, you'll have a great time. Just watch the guy behind the bar cope with everyone trying to get the most elaborate and expensive drinks when they start the trip (all drinks being free)..
Keep your expectations low for the Australis cruise, except for the excursions with the scientific guiding and the comfy cabins (take your own bathrobe and slippers). The scene at the bar is a pain and the clientele not pleasant. Buy a couple of bottles of real Champagne and drink them in one of the deserted common areas. They will bring you canapes, tip them well as the crew are lovely, just not polished.

Cruceros Australis - a lost opportunity, they could be excellent

P.S.: For Ushuaia hotels, Los Caucenes is perfect with a lovely restaurant and easy access with a rental car to the really nice national park

Last edited by behuman; Apr 18, 2015 at 7:57 am Reason: add hotel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.