Wiki Posts
Search

Inside the Blue Dollar Market

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
Inside the Blue Dollar Market

This is the best, most detailed explanation I've read about the blue dollar market, excellent research and writing.

Inside Argentina’s Blue Dollar Market
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:41 pm

Excellent article, thanks for posting.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Very interesting. Thank you.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 5:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
This is the best and most clearly written article on the blue dollar that I have seen. Thanks for posting it.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 5:23 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
The article is one of the better pieces on the subject. Good effort, yes.... but still with a few holes here & there. Some more important than others. But, yes, all in all a good to very-good effort. Suffice it to say that for most visitors, this article has (almost) everything you will need to know.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Thanks OP for posting, I like the reporters unbiased way of communicating. I havent read this before and it is really a good reveiw/primer of the market in my opinion. Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Oct 25, 2015, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
The article is one of the better pieces on the subject. Good effort, yes.... but still with a few holes here & there. Some more important than others. But, yes, all in all a good to very-good effort. Suffice it to say that for most visitors, this article has (almost) everything you will need to know.
As a first time visitor, there are indeed "a few holes here & there" which may help me get the most out of the blue dollar rate. Examples:

- Instead of booking domestic flights in the US and paying in USD, pay in pesos (at blue dollar rate) in Argentina? Same for booking tours?

- I book a hotel room online in the US quoted in USD (with credit card deposit). When checking out of the hotel, can I pay in peso notes (at blue dollar rate)?

- How about in restaurants?
Old Oct 25, 2015, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by getmethere
As a first time visitor, there are indeed "a few holes here & there" which may help me get the most out of the blue dollar rate. Examples:

- Instead of booking domestic flights in the US and paying in USD, pay in pesos (at blue dollar rate) in Argentina? Same for booking tours?

- I book a hotel room online in the US quoted in USD (with credit card deposit). When checking out of the hotel, can I pay in peso notes (at blue dollar rate)?

- How about in restaurants?
Airline and similar (i.e., ferry) tickets cannot be paid at a favo(u)rable peso rate. You would need a resident ID card with a number to pay a local rate without any surcharge. Tours which don't involve air/ferry, pesos are probably fine.

Hotels - current state of affairs is you will get the USD rate converted to the official peso rate at check-out, and you can pay in pesos. Make sure you don't book anything prepaid.

Restaurants - peso away! Some will even take your USD at an ok rate. Since many restaurants are cash only or have the unfortunate experience of having credit cards "momentarily suspended" you will need cash anyway.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Airline and similar (i.e., ferry) tickets cannot be paid at a favo(u)rable peso rate. You would need a resident ID card with a number to pay a local rate without any surcharge. Tours which don't involve air/ferry, pesos are probably fine.

Hotels - current state of affairs is you will get the USD rate converted to the official peso rate at check-out, and you can pay in pesos. Make sure you don't book anything prepaid.

Restaurants - peso away! Some will even take your USD at an ok rate. Since many restaurants are cash only or have the unfortunate experience of having credit cards "momentarily suspended" you will need cash anyway.
Thanks for the response.

I did not mean purchasing a airline ticket at resident rate. What I meant:

I drop by a travel agency in Buenos Aires, show them my US passport, and book a domestic flight at non-resident rate. I then pay in pesos which I have exchanged with USD at blue rate. This would be a big discount from booking in the US and paying with USD.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks for the response.

I drop by a travel agency in Buenos Aires, show them my US passport, and book a domestic flight at non-resident rate. I then pay in pesos which I have exchanged with USD at blue rate. This would be a big discount from booking in the US and paying with USD.
You misinterpreted what Eastbay1K said.

If you're a visitor you have to pay for air tickets purchased here in dollars not pesos.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Thanks for the response.

Foreigners cannot buy travel in pesos. It has nothing to do with resident/non-resident rates.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 11:21 am

Actually, many travel agents (maybe a minority, but a big number nonetheless) in Argentina will accept dollars from non-resident foreigners and tickets for air tickets. It is only the airlines themselves that follow this strictly. Worth shopping around, not only for this reason, as sone will charge you a lot over the cost for their services.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Foreigners cannot buy travel in pesos. It has nothing to do with resident/non-resident rates.
Didn't realize that. Thanks.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 1:52 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Folks, airline ticket purchase for residents vs. non residents has its own thread(s), or else please start a new one. This is a very old thread with an old article, in the interest of good housekeeping I shall now close this thread.

Thank you,
Gaucho100K

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.