Wiki Posts
Search

Prices/Life in BA Right Now

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
For all practical purposes, money changers in EZE have become as picky as their colleagues in SE Asia where I know this practice from my days as an Asia-Hand in the late 1990s......
Is that when she not love you long time when your bills weren't crisp?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even in Peru, they require "crisp" US greenbacks. I treated them like museum pieces before I got rid of them.

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Oct 3, 2014 at 6:40 pm Reason: off topic content removed
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

For the tourist there's never been a better time to visit the country so I'm not sure what you're on about to be honest. In six months time it won't be any different for the tourist either.

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Oct 3, 2014 at 6:41 pm Reason: quote of off-topic content removed
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
iahphx may have overstated the risks, but I think it's reasonable to forecast that the security situation in BsAs and other urban centers will deteriorate. The last few months of Cristina's reign, and the first few of her successor, are going to be difficult times economically and a lot of Argentines are going to suffer. Naturally, petty crime rates will increase and as always foreigners will be prime targets.

That said, Argentina is an inexpensive destination as long as you are paying cash and trading dollars at or near the blue rate, a situation that is likely to continue until the next government implements rational economic policies.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 1:56 pm

Deal o' the century?

I just passed through a well-stocked duty-free shop on my way to my departure gate at EZE. Goods are priced in US$ at levels comparable to other duty free shops world-wide. For instance, four bottles of Johnny Walker Black were on sale for US$144. And my dream watch, a Tag Heuer Carrera that I saw in ATL a few months back for around $4,500, is marked at $4,700. (That's why I'm dreaming...)

Any purchase you make in this store will be invoiced in Argentine pesos, with the conversion from the US$ marked price done at the official exchange rate of roughly 8.5. But there's nothing to stop you from paying in cash with pesos purchased on Calle Florida at the "blue" rate which is nearly 16 as of today.

This means that the four bottles of JWB will set you back around US$80. I don't drink much whisky but I'm pretty sure that's a bargain anywhere. And that watch? It's going to come in at under $3,000, meaning that I could fly here from Santiago, stay for the weekend in a reasonably priced hotel, buy the watch and then re-sell it in Santiago and more than pay for my trip with the profit (after all, the retail price in Santiago is going to be considerably higher than $4,700, since Chile applies a VAT of 19% and retailers get away with big markups).

DEAL!

So I asked the watch guy why he had any watches left. I mean, isn't everyone doing this? He responded with a wry smile, acknowledging that watch sales are indeed increasing. Last week for instance, three Chinese guys came through with a suitcase containing 500,000 Argentine pesos and bought 15 expensive watches, no doubt intended for re-sale at a nice profit.

I just wonder how those guys got their cash through security and Immigration. Tourists don't fill out Customs forms on the way out of the country, but I'm pretty sure that they were legally obliged to declare that cash.

I think I might just come back here soon.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by iahphx
sketchy (and illegal) moneychanging...decline in personal safety...This isn't going to end well. I wouldn't want to be in town when the end comes.
Talk about unnecessary scaremongering! You've made clear in many many posts that you're taking your tourist dollars elsewhere due to the reciprocity fee so you're not going to be in Argentina "when the end comes" in any case!
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando

I think I might just come back here soon.
I just arrived an hour ago. My driver charged $380 from EZE. Time to go find out how much my lunch is going to cost.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Is that good?

380 ARS would be just over 24 USD at current blue rate. Is that a good price from the airport to town? It would be a very good rate in Madrid, and a great rate in New York.

Oh, and please do let us know about lunch, and what it cost!

Last edited by spainflyer; Oct 3, 2014 at 9:25 am
Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spainflyer
380 ARS would be just over 24 USD at current blue rate. Is that a good price from the airport to town? It would be a very good rate in Madrid, and a great rate in New York.

Oh, and please do let us know about lunch, and what it cost!
That is a very good fare into town. I'd estimate that fares have generally been in a range from US$30 to upper $30s during most of my visits here over the past several years.

Lunch - I bought several things to bring home so I'd have lunch now and something for tomorrow.
(1) A milanesa sandwich
(2) 3 empanadas
(3) A large salad (lettuce, tomato, egg, chicken breast, rice)
Total $120

The empanadas were $10, which is my unofficial personal official inflation index.

Last edited by Eastbay1K; Oct 3, 2014 at 10:47 am
Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
(2) 3 empanadas
The empanadas were $10, which is my unofficial personal official inflation index.
So, we will submit these stats to The Economist for the official Big Empanada cost of living index. 21 US cents per empanada paying with dolarblue pesos.

Keep 'em coming. Looking for the current price of a decent (not fancy) steak dinner, papas fritas or puré, green salad, a half liter of Malbec and a panqueque de manzana for desert. This will become the advanced cost of living index.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, we will submit these stats to The Economist for the official Big Empanada cost of living index. 21 US cents per empanada paying with dolarblue pesos.
You're off by quite a bit. It is closer to 67 cents at 15-1, which is realistically anyone who isn't trading large volumes is going to get.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:07 pm

I just arrived an hour ago. My driver charged $380 from EZE. Time to go find out how much my lunch is going to cost.
This week I spent A$700 plus tip for dinner (for two) at Tancat, a wonderful tapas bar near Calle Florida. This included a bottle of wine. That's less than $50 at the blue rate although since I was there on business I used my credit card and so spent US$90 or so.

I lunched at Happening, an upscale steak house in Puerto Madero. For two people it was A$800 including meat, salads, water, one glass of wine each and one espresso. Throw in a tip of A$100 and it's just over US$100 at the official rate, or about US$60 at the blue rate (again, I used my credit card).
Old Oct 3, 2014, 1:30 pm

You're off by quite a bit. It is closer to 67 cents at 15-1, which is realistically anyone who isn't trading large volumes is going to get.
That's the price for 3. $10 ARS is just about 2/3 of 15.5, today's exchange rate. 67 US cents for 3, 22 cents for 1 (inflation has set in again!)
Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's the price for 3. $10 ARS is just about 2/3 of 15.5, today's exchange rate. 67 US cents for 3, 22 cents for 1 (inflation has set in again!)
I was not clear earlier, so I see. The empanadas were $10 c/u. 3 were $30. That is the price one pays when spending the night on crappy old AA J seats where one does not esleep.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:38 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by britenbsas
Talk about unnecessary scaremongering! You've made clear in many many posts that you're taking your tourist dollars elsewhere due to the reciprocity fee so you're not going to be in Argentina "when the end comes" in any case!
I agree. The above scaremongering content will be edited by the Lord Moderator of this forum....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.