USD 100 bill: old or new?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USD 100 bill: old or new?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2014, 9:25 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by LAXative
Thank you! I honestly would be great to have advice from a local (I've always wanted to do Cow Do but haven't had the chance).

One question from your perspective... I've read that petty crime has increased in recent years. I was last in BA 2009, and my buddy and I walked down streets and alleys in the at night with no concerns at all. We were near the Sheraton Libertador and would walk down to near the water.

Would I still be able to do that comfortably now?
If you use common sense, you will be perfectly fine. Buenos Aires is not as safe as it was 15 years ago, but it would be unfair to say that visitors need to be overly concerned about security. Yes, tourists can be targets if they don't take basic precautions that are due for most large cities...but unless you do something silly chances are very high that you will have a perfect trip with no safety issues.

Is Buenos Aires as safe as Singapore, Geneva or Toronto...? No, certainly not, but its also not Mexico City, Sao Paulo, Cairo or Mogadishu... relax, use common sense and have a great trip....
Old May 14, 2014, 9:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
If you recall correctly...? Im a local and a British Tourist being murdered would have been all over the press here. Please post a link to a newstory... else please edit your post and state your opinion, but lets not go overboard and alarm visitors with "vague recollections".... thank you.
He was from Australia and it happened in Mendoza.....story here.

It's easy to blow these sorts of incidents out of all proportion. In general it's a safe country for tourists provided one follows the usual rules when travelling....especially alone.
Old May 15, 2014, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by LAXative
Thank you! I honestly would be great to have advice from a local (I've always wanted to do Cow Do but haven't had the chance).

One question from your perspective... I've read that petty crime has increased in recent years. I was last in BA 2009, and my buddy and I walked down streets and alleys in the at night with no concerns at all. We were near the Sheraton Libertador and would walk down to near the water.

Would I still be able to do that comfortably now?
You'll find that (if you're at the Libertador or nearby again) many of the streets in that area have or will soon be improved as pedestrian-friendly with restricted traffic and better lighting.

What I do differently now than 2009? I stick to more populated/better lit streets if I am out late at night, and am more likely to take a taxi on certain routes. My doors are also better secured. That's about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.