USD 100 bill: old or new?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USD 100 bill: old or new?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:06 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by HIDDY
The new bills are available in the banks here. The wife was 'allowed' to buy some dollars last week and got the new ones from Banco Provincia.
Given the current environment, I think you and your better half should be very happy they let you purchase the $2000 at the subsidized price. Don't forget you are the "Oligarquia del Campo" that want to ruin this country and keep us from going Nacional & Popular....

I was authorized to purchase almost that amount and took every penny they gave me. I will be in line March 1st to get my monthly share, according to my accountant if they don't change the formulae for approval I should be at the max limit or again very close to that

Get em' while they last.....
Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K

Get em' while they last.....
She's at the bank as I type getting more.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 3:18 pm

Why would either bill be worth more if they are both legal tender....???????
I do not know about Argentina but in Thailand, 1996 series $100 bills are worthless since NOBODY will change them. There is way too many forgeries floating in that series. In China, bills need to be in VERY good condition. No creases, tears or writing or the bill may not be accepted. In Myanmar, I understand that bills need to be pristine to get the best rate. Any flaws affect the rate.

In general, I keep a supply of NEW $100 to take on trips where I plan to exchange cash rather than use an ATM. Minimizes discussions.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 5:28 pm

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW
I do not know about Argentina but in Thailand, 1996 series $100 bills are worthless since NOBODY will change them. There is way too many forgeries floating in that series. In China, bills need to be in VERY good condition. No creases, tears or writing or the bill may not be accepted. In Myanmar, I understand that bills need to be pristine to get the best rate. Any flaws affect the rate.

In general, I keep a supply of NEW $100 to take on trips where I plan to exchange cash rather than use an ATM. Minimizes discussions.
Yes, but the issue was not about new vs. old design.... and yes, now in Argentine its just like SE Asia, if the Ben Franklins are not in very good shape they may be rejected or subject to markdowns with the exchange rate.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Yes, but the issue was not about new vs. old design.... and yes, now in Argentine its just like SE Asia, if the Ben Franklins are not in very good shape they may be rejected or subject to markdowns with the exchange rate.
In SE Asia, it's not just about the shape of the bill, but the year and series. I usually only take 2003+ series, as the 1996 and 1999 (I think) are not accepted readily. North Korea pumping out too many fakes, perhaps?
Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:45 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
Thanks Gaucho for providing me a safe and fast service on changing my money when I was there last week. If you want to have anyone PM me, feel to give the my name and I will vouch for you. Funny thing is I still ran out of peso's I should have change a few hundred more. But we had a blast eating and some of BA's best.

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Feb 23, 2014 at 11:09 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:01 am

Currency exchange. And Recoleta again?

Hi, group,

I went to BA in April 2011. Had a rough patch and needed a holiday escape. Didn't properly prepare-- cashed in AA miles for a comfy flight, found an apartment online and used the ATM. Oops on many levels!

I found BA very expensive and I ended up taking the ferry to Uruguay for a few days of peace, quiet and more reasonable cost.

Now I see that I should have used the blue market, which back then would have helped tremendously. And of course, researched more than how many miles I needed for a J seat. ;-)

I am planning to return for the BA contemporary art fair around May 20. Will stay in Argentina about 2 weeks.

I've been reading the last few days that the blue market dollar rate has come down significantly and it seems like the official rate is about eight and blue market is about 10. Correct?

1. I will bring new $100 crisp unmarked bills for conversion. Can anyone suggest or PM me about where to do this for a good rate, please? Calle Florida sounds like maybe it used be the right spot, but no longer.

2. I stayed in an apartment in Recoleta when I was there. I felt "stuck" because I prepaid for the entire stay and really wanted to get out of the hectic city and explore more of Argentina but didn't do so. I'm sure that my frame of mind at the time caused unease and i just needed a village rather than a city stay. This time, I will only pay for the first few nights so I can see more of beautiful Argentina.

Unfortunately, the Recoleta apt where I stayed looked like it was on a quiet street. However, it's where all the buses turned and it was noisy and black soot was in the apartment anytime I opened the window.

Assuming that I find a decent airbnb or other accommodation, do you suggest Recoleta? I went to Palermo and another area (darn, blank now) but I def felt like The Woman of a Certain Age in the young neighborhoods. I am in my 50s, a woman traveling alone, generally dine late. Dislike noisy pubs/discos. Like to be out and about, walk; museums, art galleries, one-off boutiques. Street Markets. My Spanish is rusty but I can get by a bit after I'm there for a few days.

This time, I'll explore more of Argentina rather only the big bustling BA. I will research a bit more and ask for your suggestions about where else to go unless anyone has quick good ideas now. Thanks so much.

Lana
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:28 pm

For a great apartment managed by honest reliable people, check out BA Habitat. They are one of the best short term apartment rental companies in the city.
http://www.buenosaireshabitat.com/

If you need a personal referral, I can put you in touch with the owner of BA Habitat, he is a good friend of mine. Feel free to PM or email me for details.

For a good idea on the current alternate ForEx markets, check out Xoom. www.xoom.com

That's a good start..... then make sure you read a good number of the long sticky threads on these forums, a lot of information there. Then, come back and post more questions....
Old May 13, 2014, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
For a great apartment managed by honest reliable people, check out BA Habitat. They are one of the best short term apartment rental companies in the city.
http://www.buenosaireshabitat.com/
Commenting just to bookmark... planning my honeymoon and would love to check out your friend's offerings when in BsAs!

(I'll write more about it later, but looking at 2-3 weeks in SA in December, with divided up between Argentina (BA & Iguazu), Chile (SCL), Peru (LIM & Machu Picchu), and/or Brazil (GIG or GRU)... all dependent on what flights and stopovers I can build in)
Old May 13, 2014, 5:48 pm

Argentina next time...

Gaucho, thank you so very much for the link and suggestions.

I'm sorry that I did not reply sooner. I have been traveling. I ended up going to Japan instead, which has been fabulous. In Kyoto now for a week.

After so much reading on tripadvisor and flyertalk about Argentina, I think that I will only stay a short time in BA and explore more of the country when I return there. When I went to Argentina the first time a few years ago, I only stayed in BA the entire time and honestly felt a bit overwhelmed. Ferried to Colonia and liked the manageability of it a lot. Just like in Japan, 2 nights in Tokyo was plenty for me and these days, I prefer the smaller cities. I'm getting ready to move to a unique, very small island dedicated to art soon. Much more my speed.

When I do return to BA, however, I will most assuredly get an apartment in BA from the company that you suggest.

Thank you again.

Happy travels,
Lana
Old May 14, 2014, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by LAXative
Commenting just to bookmark... planning my honeymoon and would love to check out your friend's offerings when in BsAs!

(I'll write more about it later, but looking at 2-3 weeks in SA in December, with divided up between Argentina (BA & Iguazu), Chile (SCL), Peru (LIM & Machu Picchu), and/or Brazil (GIG or GRU)... all dependent on what flights and stopovers I can build in)
Sounds good... let me know if you need anything else to plan your trip...

cheers,
Gaucho100K
Old May 14, 2014, 5:52 pm

My pleasure... feel free to contact me should you need anything else.

Originally Posted by lanago2
Gaucho, thank you so very much for the link and suggestions.

I'm sorry that I id not reply sooner. I have been traveling. I ended up going to Japan instead, which has been fabulous. In Kyoto now for a week.

After so much reading on tripadvisor and flyertalk about Argentina, I think that I will only stay a short time in BA and explore more of the country when I return there. When I went to Argentina the first time a few years ago, I only stayed in BA the entire time and honestly felt a bit overwhelmed. Ferried to Colonia and liked the manageability of it a lot. Just like in Japan, 2 nights in Tokyo was plenty for me and these days, I prefer the smaller cities. I'm getting ready to move to a unique, very small island dedicated to art soon. Much more my speed.

When I do return to BA, however, I will most assuredly get an apartment in BA from the company that you suggest.

Thank you again.

Happy travels,
Lana
Old May 14, 2014, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Sounds good... let me know if you need anything else to plan your trip...

cheers,
Gaucho100K
Thank you! I honestly would be great to have advice from a local (I've always wanted to do Cow Do but haven't had the chance).

One question from your perspective... I've read that petty crime has increased in recent years. I was last in BA 2009, and my buddy and I walked down streets and alleys in the at night with no concerns at all. We were near the Sheraton Libertador and would walk down to near the water.

Would I still be able to do that comfortably now?
Old May 14, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LAXative
Thank you! I honestly would be great to have advice from a local (I've always wanted to do Cow Do but haven't had the chance).

One question from your perspective... I've read that petty crime has increased in recent years. I was last in BA 2009, and my buddy and I walked down streets and alleys in the at night with no concerns at all. We were near the Sheraton Libertador and would walk down to near the water.

Would I still be able to do that comfortably now?
There are growing reports of tag-team motorcycle robberies where the passenger grabs the bag and the driver makes off with it. If I recall correctly, some British tourist died from bullet wounds when he held on to his bag.
Old May 14, 2014, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by flyerhog
There are growing reports of tag-team motorcycle robberies where the passenger grabs the bag and the driver makes off with it. If I recall correctly, some British tourist died from bullet wounds when he held on to his bag.
If you recall correctly...? Im a local and a British Tourist being murdered would have been all over the press here. Please post a link to a newstory... else please edit your post and state your opinion, but lets not go overboard and alarm visitors with "vague recollections".... thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.