Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Where/how to get dolar blue exchange rate?

Where/how to get dolar blue exchange rate?

Old Jan 11, 2015, 5:32 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by wco81
What is PH?
Park Hyatt Palacio Duhau.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
So a pricey hotel restaurant then?

I thought empanadas were almost fast food.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 6:21 pm
Suspended

BTW, what kind of phone are you using these days Gaucho?

What kind of prepaid data can you get in BA? I heard the prepaid plans are limited so I'm thinking of just using the T-Mobile International data roaming, which supposedly gets okay speeds on Claro and Moviestar.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Bumping this thread for a tangential question. My daughter is going to El Cafate and Torre del Paine from BA. She has read you need the entrance to the park in Chilean pesos. Can they be obtained in BA before she leaves or is there a place to change money at the border or park. Thanks.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
So a pricey hotel restaurant then?

I thought empanadas were almost fast food.
Empanadas are a local staple, so you can find them in all formats, qualities and price points. It is not strange to have them featured on the menu at a 5 Star Hotel, even though you can also find them offered on informal street stalls/carts, etc.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:23 am

BTW, what kind of phone are you using these days Gaucho?

What kind of prepaid data can you get in BA? I heard the prepaid plans are limited so I'm thinking of just using the T-Mobile International data roaming, which supposedly gets okay speeds on Claro and Moviestar.
I have a couple of Iphones.

Data quality/speed in Buenos Aires is lousy to horrible, so make sure you manage your expectations. If you can get some sort of data roaming plan that makes financial sense, I suggest going with that. Not an expert on prepaid plans here in EZE Im afraid.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:54 am
Suspended

T-Mobile US has a free international data roaming plan. It's mostly throttled to 128kbps but that's usually good enough or light email, surfing and maps and Argentina is included.

Some FTer was claiming he got LTE speeds down in Argentina:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23899193-post672.html

But my understanding is that there is no LTE or 4G down there.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM

Personal and Movistar announced 4G service in parts of BsAs, Rosario, and Cordoba at the end of December: http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1754644-c...sonal-movistar
For Movistar, a change of (local) SIM is required. The announcement was for post-paid plans, so I don't know what the situation is for roaming with a non-Argentine SIM.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 12:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Im afraid I cant assist you with any specific suggestions for Iguazu. You may be able to get help with the concierge and/or front-desk of your hotel... Taxi Drivers also know where to go. You could also ask over on TripAdvisor, the forums sometimes have local experts that are able to assist with things like this.

Else, if you are able to build in a stopover in Buenos Aires of approx. 4-5 hours you could use that time to fill up on Pesos while you are in the City.

Cheers,
Alex / Gaucho100K
I have a 3 hour layover at AEP. I could conceivably step outside the airport...
Old Jan 18, 2015, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando
You CAN change Argentine pesos into Chilean pesos (which are fully convertible into dollars or Euros or whatever) in Santiago, Chile, at something close to the "blue" rate. But I'm certain that the official exchange rate is meaningless outside of Argentina.
Looks like you can get Argentinian Pesos at a good rate in Santiago. See table on this page: http://www.cambiosantiago.cl/ or http://www.cambiocostero.cl/
For instance, exchanging $100 gets you 62,500 Chilean pesos (lower number of the two) which you then exchange into Argentinian pesos at the higher (sell) rate of 52. You end up with 62500/52 = 1202 Argentinian pesos.

Last edited by Dieuwer; Jan 18, 2015 at 3:10 pm
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:15 am

LTE is operational for Personal and Movistar.

I have been using LTE on my Personal line for a few days and speeds are OK (at times quite fast), depending on where you access the service and what time you are connected.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Looks like you can get Argentinian Pesos at a good rate in Santiago. See table on this page: http://www.cambiosantiago.cl/ or http://www.cambiocostero.cl/
For instance, exchanging $100 gets you 62,500 Chilean pesos (lower number of the two) which you then exchange into Argentinian pesos at the higher (sell) rate of 52. You end up with 62500/52 = 1202 Argentinian pesos.
You can do better if you are in Vina Del Mar - I was able to exchange Chilean pesos for ARS at 48. I haven't found anything close in the rest of Chile. I'm in Argentina now and best I can get is 12.7. That's a little worse than the 48 (which equates to 13).
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
You can do better if you are in Vina Del Mar - I was able to exchange Chilean pesos for ARS at 48. I haven't found anything close in the rest of Chile. I'm in Argentina now and best I can get is 12.7. That's a little worse than the 48 (which equates to 13).
But the Blue has dropped since you started your trip, so you'd not likely get the same in Viña today.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
But the Blue has dropped since you started your trip, so you'd not likely get the same in Viña today.
Very true - I got 13 then and am getting 12.7 now. However that doesn't explain the difference between 52 and 48 (which is a much greater difference). It should be closer to 49 (not 52) with the recent drop.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Very true - I got 13 then and am getting 12.7 now. However that doesn't explain the difference between 52 and 48 (which is a much greater difference). It should be closer to 49 (not 52) with the recent drop.
Be careful with trying to draw scientific conclusions regarding the spreads on a currency transaction when the market you are dealing with is clearly a "grey" market.... its not like trading Euros for US Dollars, its a totally different ballgame.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.