Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: danola
USA, Canada AND AUSTRALIAN PASSPORT HOLDERS NO LONGER NEED TO PAY

News for Canadians travellers!

https://paxnews.com/news/other/argen...fee/newsletter

Early this morning, the Argentine government officially suspended the reciprocity fee for Canadians, effective Jan. 1, 2018.
Argentina ends reciprocity fee for Americans, Australians and Canadians
Argentina has announced (25 Aug 2016) full and permanent $160 reciprocity fee waiver for U. S. passport holders effective 25 Sep 2016.

NOTE: Some report in this interim period between ninety days of waiver and permanent waiver they are not being charged $160 on arrival at EZE already - but your airline might still request evidence you have met the expiring requirements listed below if you are a U.S. passport holder.

Refer them to IATA TIMATIC, in accord with:

Originally Posted by David Beach
Just announced:

RECIPROCITY FEE SUSPENSION for us passport holders REMAINS IN FORCE
indefinitely UNTIL DEROGATION DECREE IS ISSUED

"The Migrations National Agency confirmed today that the suspension of the collection of reciprocity fees from US citizens, established by Disposition DNM No. 589/2016 as of March 24 2016 for a period of 90 days or until a Presidential Decree promoted by the said Agency is issued for its derogation, will remain in force.

The reciprocity fee still applies to Australian and Canadian passport holders.
June 22, 2016”
http://www.embassyofargentina.us/en/...-citizens.html
Argentine passport holders will at some future time be allowed to apply for U. S. Global Entry.

Visitors carrying other nations' passports (passport holders from the United Kingdom and Canada must still pay their reciprocity fee) still have to meet the conditions established by Argentina.

To determine what you need to enter Argentina, please use IATA TIMATIC - the tool used by the airlines to determine if you will board - here. (C/o United Airlines.)

Argentine Reciprocity Fee for passport holders of certain nationalities

If you hold a passport of one of the following nations and intend using it for entry to Argentina:

- USA
- Canada
- [strike]Australia [strike]

You must pay for the Reciprocity Fee before you enter Argentina. This fee is valid for 10 Years from the date of payment (the amount of time may vary for Canada and Australia). Please note that failure to have this fee [hl]prepaid[/] and if your airline allows you to board (they are unlikely to because they can be fined and required to transport you out of Argentina on their next departing fee at their cost) you will be deported forthwith.

N.B. If your current Reciprocity Fee stamp is in an expired passport because you have had a new passport issued, you may present your expired passport as proof of payment if you do not have a fee receipt to tender.

Reciprocity Fee

If you are a US, Australian or Canadian citizen, you will need to pay a reciprocity fee before you enter Argentina. This fee may vary depending on your nationality.
Reciprocity Fee (payment and receipt)

The Argentine National Immigration Directorate(DNM) has launched a new online method of payment to enable payment of the reciprocity fee via credit card. Travellers can now pay this fee through the Provincia Pagos payment system.
US, Australian and Canadian citizens can pay the reciprocity fee before entering Argentina by accessing the following websites: www.provinciapagos.com.ar and www.migraciones.gov.ar.

How can I pay the Reciprocity Fee Online?

1.Register at www.provinciapagos.com.ar and obtain an entry code.
2.Complete the form including personal and credit card details . This information and the entry code will be sent electronically to the DNM.
3.After payment is processed, print the receipt.
4.Upon arrival in Argentina, go to the DNM Office and present the printed receipt.
5.The receipt will be scanned by DNM staff and the data will be validated to enable entry to Argentina.

https://reciprocidad.provincianet.co...oFunciona.aspx
Reciprocity fee for US citizens

U.S. citizens who visit the Argentine Republic as tourists or on business must pay a reciprocity fee of U$S160. This reciprocity fee does not represent a charge for a visa since Argentina does not require US citizens to have visas when traveling as tourists or on business. The Argentine Government sets this fee in reciprocity to what Argentines pay for a visa application to enter the United States of America.

Argentine nationals traveling with a US, Canadian or Australian passport are EXEMPT from paying the reciprocity fee. Please travel with additional proof of Argentine nationality (DNI, old passport, birth certificate, etc.)

Method of Payment

Payment must be made before entering the Argentine Republic, online at: http://www.migraciones.gov.ar and go to: Pay your reciprocity fee

Payment can be made with the following credit cards only: Visa, American Express, Mastercard.

The voucher received must be printed and submitted to the immigration authorities. The period of validity of such proof will begin from the date on which the payment was made.

As of January 7, 2013, the reciprocity fee has been extended to all border crossings of Argentina: maritime, fluvial (riverine), terrestrial and aerial.
Until June 30, 2013, passengers on cruises entering the country are exempt from paying the reciprocity fee.(sic)

U.S. citizens who previously paid the fee and its validity period has not expired, they do not need to pay it again and need to show the stamp on the passport. If you have a new passport, you will need to bring the previous passport with the stamp that proves the fee payment. For further information or questions, please contact our office at 404-880-0805 x 101, Monday to Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

http://catla.cancilleria.gov.ar/cont...e-reciprocidad
For more information, please see the following links:

http://embassyofargentina.us/embassy...ction/news.htm

http://argentina.travisa.com/

http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesi...r_novedad=1632

Transit passengers: If you are arriving at EZE or international aerial port of entry internationally and departing on another international flight within less than 12 hours, you are eligible to remain airside and connect without paying a reciprocity fee; read the wiki in: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argen...-intl-eze.html

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Updated 27 Aug 2016 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

VERY IMPORTANT - Reciprocity Fee to enter Argentina

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:13 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Mine is a true ten years and was issued in affiliation with my US passport that expired. I use it with my current US passport without issue. In other words, the reciprocity payment is good for ten years even if you change US passports within the course of that ten years. As long as the names match in both US passports issued to the same person, ten years is the validity period of the proof of reciprocity payment.
Thank you! Time to bill work for this.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 1:03 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Mine is a true ten years and was issued in affiliation with my US passport that expired. I use it with my current US passport without issue. In other words, the reciprocity payment is good for ten years even if you change US passports within the course of that ten years. As long as the names match in both US passports issued to the same person, ten years is the validity period of the proof of reciprocity payment.
Thx for this. But must/should one bring along the expired passport referred to in the reciprocity receipt? My name isn't too common, but as much as I'd prefer to leave the old passport home for my flight to EZE in a couple weeks, I'd hate to be hassled after a long transit.

--mcz
Old Oct 27, 2014, 2:38 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mczlaw
Thx for this. But must/should one bring along the expired passport referred to in the reciprocity receipt? My name isn't too common, but as much as I'd prefer to leave the old passport home for my flight to EZE in a couple weeks, I'd hate to be hassled after a long transit.

--mcz
Assuming you're using a US passport:

If your still valid reciprocity receipt is not a sticker attached in your since-expired passport, then bringing a current passport with the reciprocity receipt should work as long as the name/nationality/biodata details are the same across the passports -- even if you don't bring the since-expired passport. That said, an airline rep could make an issue of it -- which they have done before at least sometimes -- and thus it may help to have both the current and expired passports on the trip.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Assuming you're using a US passport:

If your still valid reciprocity receipt is not a sticker attached in your since-expired passport, then bringing a current passport with the reciprocity receipt should work as long as the name/nationality/biodata details are the same across the passports -- even if you don't bring the since-expired passport. That said, an airline rep could make an issue of it -- which they have done before at least sometimes -- and thus it may help to have both the current and expired passports on the trip.
Yes, US Passport, no changes, paper receipt (not sticker)...I suppose I'll take the conservative path and throw the old passport in my electronics/magazine/nosh bag. Just one more thing to keep track of, but better safe than sorry. (On my first BA trip, I managed to travel to EZE w/o the receipt and had to sit for 90 minutes while they found someone to accept payment. Was glad not to have been sent back home.)
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:08 pm

I've seen some people with a sticker that looks like the online printed reciprocity receipt in their passport. I assumed I would get one at EZE but just got the normal stamp. Did they just glue their receipt in or something?

Also, for a data point, the Argentine immigration guy at the Colonia ferry terminal in Uruguay didn't even care about checking for a reciprocity fee receipt. I guess he seemed satisfied that I had an Argentine entry stamp from the week before. I pulled it out for him but he didn't even look at it.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dtokuda
I've seen some people with a sticker that looks like the online printed reciprocity receipt in their passport. I assumed I would get one at EZE but just got the normal stamp. Did they just glue their receipt in or something?

Also, for a data point, the Argentine immigration guy at the Colonia ferry terminal in Uruguay didn't even care about checking for a reciprocity fee receipt. I guess he seemed satisfied that I had an Argentine entry stamp from the week before. I pulled it out for him but he didn't even look at it.
Before Argentina put in place the requirement of the reciprocity fee being paid in advance of arrival in Argentina, those who paid the reciprocity fee on arrival in Argentina would get a payment receipt sticker that would be affixed in the passport by the person processing the payment; that sticker would take up a whole visa page. I have the reciprocity sticker in one of my US passports.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
My father will be traveling to Buenos Aires for a cruise returning via Chile.
He has dual citizenship US and HK. Therefore, he SHOULD be able to avoid this fee by providing the HK passport going there and the US passport on his return.

The concern is being able to board his flight. He will be flying United. Any recommendations? Should he enter his HK passport info when he checks in, and his US passport when he returns? Will united want him to produce a visa for his return flight, not knowing he has a US passport as well?

Can someone point me to a TIMATIC print out that may help with this? I always seem to have trouble trying to search it.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by eng3
My father will be traveling to Buenos Aires for a cruise returning via Chile.
He has dual citizenship US and HK. Therefore, he SHOULD be able to avoid this fee by providing the HK passport going there and the US passport on his return.

The concern is being able to board his flight. He will be flying United. Any recommendations? Should he enter his HK passport info when he checks in, and his US passport when he returns? Will united want him to produce a visa for his return flight, not knowing he has a US passport as well?

Can someone point me to a TIMATIC print out that may help with this? I always seem to have trouble trying to search it.
At the United kiosk in the US you show the HK passport. United will ask a proof that you exit Argentina, so he will show the ticket from Argentina to Chile. They will enter that information in the computer.

When he exits Argentina he will show the HK passport. You always show the same passport you used to enter.

He will probably use the HK passport to enter chile as well. Same thing, when he exits Chile he will show the HK passport.

At one point, he will go to back to the US. The airline will then want to see the US passport. If he's in Chile, he will then exit Chile with the HK passport, and when on US ground, he will show the US passport.

That's what i'm doing, except in reverse: I flew to Uruguay from the US with French passport. In the US they asked me how I was exiting Uruguay, so I showed them proof that I had a ticket from Uruguay to Argentina.

When I exited Uruguay I showed my french passport. Then I showed my french passport again when entering Argentina. When I will go to United to fly back from Argentina to USA I will show my US passport to the airline, but use the French passport to exit immigration in Argentina. Then in Houston I will show my US passport.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by mattr12
At the United kiosk in the US you show the HK passport. United will ask a proof that you exit Argentina, so he will show the ticket from Argentina to Chile. They will enter that information in the computer.

When he exits Argentina he will show the HK passport. You always show the same passport you used to enter.

He will probably use the HK passport to enter chile as well. Same thing, when he exits Chile he will show the HK passport.

At one point, he will go to back to the US. The airline will then want to see the US passport. If he's in Chile, he will then exit Chile with the HK passport, and when on US ground, he will show the US passport.

That's what i'm doing, except in reverse: I flew to Uruguay from the US with French passport. In the US they asked me how I was exiting Uruguay, so I showed them proof that I had a ticket from Uruguay to Argentina.

When I exited Uruguay I showed my french passport. Then I showed my french passport again when entering Argentina. When I will go to United to fly back from Argentina to USA I will show my US passport to the airline, but use the French passport to exit immigration in Argentina. Then in Houston I will show my US passport.
Thanks. He'll be on a cruise from argentina to Chile so it should be a bit easier. Do you think he should bring a printout of any anything (ie. TIMATIC)? or do you think that by entering the HK passport info he'll be ok. He currently has his US passport in his united profile. Should he remove it? I know that when you checkin it asks to confirm the info in the profile so he can always change it at checkin. I just dont know if the UA agent seeing both in there will cause issues.

Now when he exits Chile, I would think he shows his US passport to United, otherwise they would want a visa. I guess he would show his HK passport to the customs agent? I don't know how it works in that country. Do they have an entry stamp or slip of paper that the United agent would need to see?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by eng3
Thanks. He'll be on a cruise from argentina to Chile so it should be a bit easier. Do you think he should bring a printout of any anything (ie. TIMATIC)? or do you think that by entering the HK passport info he'll be ok. He currently has his US passport in his united profile. Should he remove it? I know that when you checkin it asks to confirm the info in the profile so he can always change it at checkin. I just dont know if the UA agent seeing both in there will cause issues.

Now when he exits Chile, I would think he shows his US passport to United, otherwise they would want a visa. I guess he would show his HK passport to the customs agent? I don't know how it works in that country. Do they have an entry stamp or slip of paper that the United agent would need to see?
I would print out the entire itinerary, including the cruise information, so that they know when and how he's leaving each country.

What seems to be the easier for him is to use the HK passport all the time, except for when he checks in with United for his return flight, because as you said, United will want to make sure he can enter the US, and that's when he shows the US passport. But then, if there is an "exit immigration" in chile (i don't know if there is, but there is one in Argentina and one in Uruguay, so there is probably one in Chile), that's when he shows his HK passport.

Always use the SAME passport for entering and exiting a country. The US passport will only need to be shown at United kiosk and upon entering the US. No need to change anything in the profile, show the US passport in the US, the HK passport anywhere else. There is nothing illegal in doing this.

When he comes back in the US, they may ask why there is no stamp from Argentina or Chile. In that case, just say that the other citizenship was used in order to avoid paying a fee. Again, that's totally legal, and never lie to a US border agent.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
But then, if there is an "exit immigration" in chile (i don't know if there is, but there is one in Argentina and one in Uruguay, so there is probably one in Chile), that's when he shows his HK passport.
There is.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For the flight to the USA, he should make sure that his USA passport data is on the secure flight record on the airline website more than 72 hours before the flight.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 4:00 pm

I'm just back from Argentina. United asked me TWICE (once while waiting in line, second time at the checkin desk) to see BOTH passports, because they wanted to see the entry stamp on the French passport, and make sure I can return to the USA without needing a visa. They knew very well why I used the French passport for entry. Then when I passed the Argentine immigration, I gave my French passport, and did not show the US one. Upon arrival in Houston, I used my US passport, no issue. I have Global Entry, so there was no real interaction with the border agent in Houston.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For the flight to the USA, he should make sure that his USA passport data is on the secure flight record on the airline website more than 72 hours before the flight.
No need for that.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
I'm just back from Argentina. United asked me TWICE (once while waiting in line, second time at the checkin desk) to see BOTH passports, because they wanted to see the entry stamp on the French passport, and make sure I can return to the USA without needing a visa. They knew very well why I used the French passport for entry. Then when I passed the Argentine immigration, I gave my French passport, and did not show the US one. Upon arrival in Houston, I used my US passport, no issue. I have Global Entry, so there was no real interaction with the border agent in Houston.
That's pretty normal. They are looking for an entry stamp (you complied with Argentina) and proof of adequate documentation for travel (for the US).

I always go into Argentina on my Italian passport and then if I am going to the US only use a US passport.

Last time in Ezeiza in March they tried to tell me because I was born in the US I would have to pay the reciprocity fee (traveling on the Italian passport!!) ...at which point I told them to take a hike (I grew up in Argentina). They went to speak with a supervisor and then dropped it. But they did hold me for a good 30 minutes... which in 30 years of travel to Argentina had NEVER happened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.