Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WARNING: domestic Argentina flights & resident fares

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2013, 7:52 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
And what is OLCI.....?
Old May 9, 2013, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
and what is SFPD.... San Francisco Police Department...?
Old May 9, 2013, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
And what is OLCI.....?
OnLineCheckIn
Old May 10, 2013, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Panam Clipper
OnLineCheckIn
Thank you..... I should have guessed that...
Old May 10, 2013, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
What about OLCI?
It is not unheard of to do a check-in online and then have to show some sort of ID when you board... so 100% non human interaction is (unless the agent 'ignores' you when you board) kinda' impossible. Bottom line, you can play the game, but you may get caught. If you do, be prepared to face the music.
Old May 10, 2013, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It is not unheard of to do a check-in online and then have to show some sort of ID when you board... so 100% non human interaction is (unless the agent 'ignores' you when you board) kinda' impossible. Bottom line, you can play the game, but you may get caught. If you do, be prepared to face the music.
I'd be very surprised if they weren't aware of the OLCI tactic.

Yes for those who like to gamble by all means continue do so but the penalties if caught seem quite severe.
Old May 10, 2013, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I'd be very surprised if they weren't aware of the OLCI tactic.

Yes for those who like to gamble by all means continue do so but the penalties if caught seem quite severe.
I agree.... its great to roll the dice, but when I see a visitor doing this, getting caught and whining then I come down on them very hard. I refuse to have someone cry over something when he/she has warned is not acceptable.
Old May 11, 2013, 9:38 am

and what is SFPD.... San Francisco Police Department...?

Just found out about this one:

Secure Flight Passenger Data
Old May 11, 2013, 7:08 pm

I'd be interested in knowing if any BM, maybe a lawyer, knows if Argentina is a signatory to any international treaty or agreement that outlaws this "scam the foreigners" pricing structure. This stuff belongs in the dark ages or in the fifth world, not even the third world.

I decided not to visit Puerto Madryn during my visit earlier this year because only Aerolineas fly there from BA and their "scam the foreigners" fare for the trip is beyond stupid.

I did, however, use my BA points to use LAN to fly to SLA and back and MDZ and back. The former was 15k each return and the latter was 9k each return and the fees and taxes are minimal. If you have oneworld points you can use on LAN, that is the best option for domestic flights.
Old May 11, 2013, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jimmac
I'd be interested in knowing if any BM, maybe a lawyer, knows if Argentina is a signatory to any international treaty or agreement that outlaws this "scam the foreigners" pricing structure. This stuff belongs in the dark ages or in the fifth world, not even the third world.

I decided not to visit Puerto Madryn during my visit earlier this year because only Aerolineas fly there from BA and their "scam the foreigners" fare for the trip is beyond stupid.

I did, however, use my BA points to use LAN to fly to SLA and back and MDZ and back. The former was 15k each return and the latter was 9k each return and the fees and taxes are minimal. If you have oneworld points you can use on LAN, that is the best option for domestic flights.
This is also true for Colombia and Peru, though.
POS also restricts certain fares (try buying TPE-HKG with YVR POS and you get completely different fares than in TPE!)
Old May 12, 2013, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jimmac

Do you visit Indonesia and Thailand often...?

Also, what are your thoughts on Florida residents getting discounts on Disney Tickets while us visitors are asked to pay full price...?

Sorry but this variable pricing model is not an Argentine Invention, it is practices in various parts of the world and in various forms. Nobody makes you come visit here but if you do and want to fly around the country, then please be ready to play by the rules. If you want to roll the dice, go ahead, but then if you get caught, please keep quiet and face the music.
Old May 12, 2013, 10:18 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Do you visit Indonesia and Thailand often...?

Sorry but this variable pricing model is not an Argentine Invention.
Double pricing is very common in Thailand where a national park access fee for foreigners can be 1000 % of the native fee.

It does not positively reflect on the places where it is practised and shows a rather low esteem of the own countries population - kind of second class citizens who can not afford to pay .

In the case of AR fares the difference did not appear huge to me when I checked their online fares. I would not risk it.
Old May 12, 2013, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by behuman
It does not positively reflect on the places where it is practised and shows a rather low esteem of the own countries population - kind of second class citizens who can not afford to pay .

Or perhaps the "own countries population" may already be supporting the venues via tax and related revenues, and also, perhaps, it is only fair that due to currency related issues, it is only fair that the local population can be able to enjoy the national park, etc. It has nothing to do with self esteem. It has to do with spending a month's income to go to a park with the family v. the foreigner spending less than a day's income.

While the residency restrictions on tickets are annoying and may stifle some travel, for better or worse (ok, worse), this is the law of the land, and you can take it, leave it, or try and cheat it. The "good news" here is that if you break the law, your penalty is an upcharge, or no travel. It could have been more onerous.
Old May 12, 2013, 1:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by behuman
In the case of AR fares the difference did not appear huge to me when I checked their online fares. I would not risk it.
It's not huge in fact if you compare it to the national average wage here the resident fares are still very expensive.

Truth is if there was no such thing as a resident fare prices would remain the same for foreigners so it's not as if you're subsidising residents travel. In fact I've noticed some resident fares can actually be more expensive than normal fares.
Old May 12, 2013, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K

Or perhaps the "own countries population" may already be supporting the venues via tax and related revenues, and also, perhaps, it is only fair that due to currency related issues, it is only fair that the local population can be able to enjoy the national park, etc. It has nothing to do with self esteem. It has to do with spending a month's income to go to a park with the family v. the foreigner spending less than a day's income.

While the residency restrictions on tickets are annoying and may stifle some travel, for better or worse (ok, worse), this is the law of the land, and you can take it, leave it, or try and cheat it. The "good news" here is that if you break the law, your penalty is an upcharge, or no travel. It could have been more onerous.
Bravo !!!! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.