2 dinners in Buenos Aires

Subscribe
Hi all,

I was hoping to get some feedback from this group. My wife and I will be in BA for a couple of nights, and we're looking to book 2 advance dinner reservations. We're thinking we want to do 1 "closed door" restaurant, and one traditional parilla.

For the closed-door meal, we're thinking i latina (although I'm still waiting to hear back from them and not even sure that they'll be open while we're in BA).

For the parilla, I hear a ton about La Cabrera - but upon reading reviews it seems overly touristy and feedback is very mixed. Is there something else that you guys recommend - high quality, perhaps a bit more "local," - but amazing food?

On a totally separate note, we'd like to see a tango show while we're there, but our time is limited and it seems as though all the tango is at night - overlapping with our dinner plans. We do not want to eat dinner at a tango show. Is there anywhere else that we could go see tango - it doesn't have to be a formal show per se...something in the afternoon perhaps, or at a bar post dinner?

Thanks in advance!
I'd definitely recommend iLatina. We went last week and it was great.

La Cabrera is totally touristy, but I still recommend it. IMHO the steak and sides are all good. Some other recommendations: Don Julio, Las Nazarenas, Miranda or La Brigada. If you want really touristy and expensive, Cabana Las Lilas. Great service, great location, but over-priced.
Please avoid Cabania Las Lilas....... not authentic, overpriced..... tourst trap !!!!!
Quote: Please avoid Cabania Las Lilas....... not authentic, overpriced..... tourst trap !!!!!

Totally agree ^

Btw La Cabrera may be a "tourist trap" but the food is very good and steak is awesome
La Cabrera is nothing like a tourist trap when you compare it to Las Lilas. Not saying it hasnt gotten somewhat more Touristy.... but its still a far cry from Las Lilas. Even La Brigada, which is getting close to Las Lilas is still, in my view, a far better experience than anything that Puerto Madero can offer. Aside from the prices, my beef with Las Lilas is that they try to emulate the North American Steakhouse thing... and that is anything but authentic. Then again, if you are on a corporate expense account and just want upscale, then maybe Las Lilas is a good option for you. In this case, I would suggest the Grill at the Marriott Plaza as a better alternative.... but, to each his own.
For your closed door option, you should consider Casa Saltshaker. The owner posts here from time to time and is a good friend of mine. He is from NY but has been in EZE soooo long that he is almost a portenio....
Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like La Cabrera, while touristy, is still a great option, and that either i Latina or Casa Saltshaker make good options for a closed-door option.

On a separate, note, is there anywhere we could see tango either during the afternoon or late night at a bar somewhere - something different than a "traditional tango show," per se?
Quote: Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like La Cabrera, while touristy, is still a great option, and that either i Latina or Casa Saltshaker make good options for a closed-door option.

On a separate, note, is there anywhere we could see tango either during the afternoon or late night at a bar somewhere - something different than a "traditional tango show," per se?
You can almost always find daytime street/sidewalk tango on Av. Florida, or around Plaza Dorrego.
Quote: You can almost always find daytime street/sidewalk tango on Av. Florida, or around Plaza Dorrego.
Also street tango to be seen in La Boca.

I've seen the street tango in BA and have gone to a tango show at my local theatre.....I enjoyed the street show more to be honest.
Quote: Also street tango to be seen in La Boca.

I've seen the street tango in BA and have gone to a tango show at my local theatre.....I enjoyed the street show more to be honest.
If you go to La Boca, keep your trip during daylight hours, and don't stray far from Caminito.
Quote: If you go to La Boca, keep your trip during daylight hours, and don't stray far from Caminito.
Indeed.... ^
La Boca
Thanks for the feedback re. La Boca safety. If we head out there we'll definitely make sure it's during the day.

I thought I'd heard that street Tango in La Boca takes place only on Saturdays/Sundays. Is that inaccurate? I'm thinking we'd go on a Friday afternoon if it would in fact be a good day to visit -
Quote: La Cabrera is nothing like a tourist trap when you compare it to Las Lilas. Not saying it hasnt gotten somewhat more Touristy.... but its still a far cry from Las Lilas. Even La Brigada, which is getting close to Las Lilas is still, in my view, a far better experience than anything that Puerto Madero can offer. Aside from the prices, my beef with Las Lilas is that they try to emulate the North American Steakhouse thing... and that is anything but authentic. Then again, if you are on a corporate expense account and just want upscale, then maybe Las Lilas is a good option for you. In this case, I would suggest the Grill at the Marriott Plaza as a better alternative.... but, to each his own.

On the other hand, the brasilian version on Las Lilas (they have some kind of joint venture), Rubiyat (both Baby Beef and Figuera) are actually awesome restaurants and always filled with Paulistas
Please do come back and report how your meals went....
Quote: For your closed door option, you should consider Casa Saltshaker. The owner posts here from time to time and is a good friend of mine. He is from NY but has been in EZE soooo long that he is almost a portenio....
I was able to secure a last minute spot at Casa Saltshaker this past Saturday. It was an excellent experience, great food, great company, and highly recommended. $65 US or AR$335 for 5 courses *and* wine pairings.