Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America > Argentina
Sign in using an external account

Old May 25, 12, 5:04 pm   #1

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLAT
Trip to Argentina via EZE - family with children

Hello FT Experts,
I am planning to take a trip to South America. For my trip I am planning to go to Buenos Aries. Also I am planning to visit Iguassu Water falls(IGR) in Argentina and also go to the southern part of Argentina to El Calafete (FTE).
Have any one done this trip ? I am planning this trip with my family. My kids are 6 and 7 Years old. They can do hiking as we have done couple of hikes so far.

Please give me some suggestions.

Thanks.
Old May 25, 12, 5:07 pm   #2

Ive done it, what do you need?
EZETravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 12, 5:10 pm   #3

I wanted to fly in AA. If I try to book the ticket from AA it is not letting me book the ticket.
All i can do is from DFW to EZE on AA and back. I can book the IGR and FTE segments seperately in orbitz expedia on Airlineos Argentinas also i can only fly out of AEP in buenos aries.
Is there any other option on the flight ?

What do you suggest to visit in IGR and FTE ? I am planning for a 14 day trip . Will that be enough ?
Old May 25, 12, 5:14 pm   #4
Suspended

This isn't the "what to see on my trip" forum. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina-622/
Austinrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 12, 5:16 pm   #5
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
you should see the falls from brazil.... view is much better....

aa & aerolineas argentia haven't had any ticketing agreement for a long time, so you have to book elsewhere....

go from us to the falls in brazil w/open jaw ticket back from eze....

cross over to arg & see the falls from that side....

then do the rest, or reverse the trip...
Old May 25, 12, 5:19 pm   #6

AA doesn't fly there, you can fly AA to EZE stay some days there. Then fly Aerolineas or LAN. Iguazu and Calafate are opposite sites, both very interesting. If you go to Calafate go to see the Glaciar Perito Moreno and different glacier excursions. You can have a Chivas with glacier rocks sitting right there in the ice. Check for Bariloche and Villa la Angostura.

Please tell me if i can help you with anything else.
EZETravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 12, 6:16 pm   #7
Senior Moderator/Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, and Talkboard Topics
2014 Elections

Programs: AA EXP / 5 MM; HH <>; SPG Gold; Maţtre-plongeur des Muccis
This is about Argentina primarily, so it will move to the proper Forum.

AEP / Aeroparque serves most domestic and many short-haul flights; Ministro Pistarini International Airport at Ezeiza / EZE serves long-haul flights to / from Buenos Aires. AA does not fly to IGR / Iguaz˙ (Iguašu in Brazil) Falls or to El Calafate / FTE; Aerolineas Argentinas does, as does LAN (a member of oneworld, and you ocan earn AA miles).

Spelling the names properly will help you research these places properly on places like Wikitravel, which can be a useful site.

Iguaz˙ on the Argentine side offers much more to do and longer walks - about two thirds of the falls are in Argentina. Iguašu is also interesting, but if you are American be aware you will have to have a visa for Brazil ($130 per person, arranged in advance,) and you will have to have a visa on arrival at Argentina as well, due to reciprocity fees charged by the USA. One can hike the five main, paved trails, take the small train, walk in rainforest, walk on pathways over the falls, take small boats into and around the falls (to a small island), take motorized drives through the forest (so-so) and see monkeys and unusual birds. Perhaps the best way for families is to stay at the Sheraton Iguaz˙. within the park and offering easiest (and earlier) access - pay the park entranyce once, and no queues at the entrance - you can catually have views of the falls from this property and see the "fruit loops" sulfuratus Toucans, etc.

On the Brazilian side, there is less to see and do, though you can visit the small zoological park and take an expensive but beautiful helicopter ride over the falls., the Bosque das Aves (bird park) and Parque GuaranÝ (small zoo).

Last edited by JDiver; May 25, 12 at 6:28 pm.
JDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 12, 6:22 pm   #8
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
(and you will have to have a visa on arrival at Argentina as well, due to reciprocity fees charged by the USA).
You will not need a "visa on arrival." You will pay a reciprocity fee. It is only a fee. It is $160 per head.
Old May 25, 12, 7:54 pm   #9
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwflyguy View Post
Hello FT Experts,
I am planning to take a trip to South America. For my trip I am planning to go to Buenos Aries. Also I am planning to visit Iguassu Water falls(IGR) in Argentina and also go to the southern part of Argentina to El Calafete (FTE).
Have any one done this trip ? I am planning this trip with my family. My kids are 6 and 7 Years old. They can do hiking as we have done couple of hikes so far.

Please give me some suggestions.

Thanks.
What time of year were you thinking of coming?

Some good advice so far.....the falls are a must see with the kids and the views despite what some people say are good from both sides.
Have a look at the South American Airpass and see if it meets your needs.
HIDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 12, 11:04 pm   #10

Thank you all so much for the tips and ideas. I am planning to come during the thankgiving week. It is about 15 days trip. I am hoping to visit the southern and northern parts of Argentina.
The weather is Argentina will be ok during that time .. that is what i heard. Are there any must sees in the southern part of the country?
Are there any trains from Buenos Aries to El Calafate or Ushuaia ? I wanted to see the narutal beauty as well.. Thought the train will be a good option.

Any suggestions ?

Also I am not planning on getting a Brazil visa ? Do i need a visa to vist the Iguazu falls ? Thanks for the tip on the argentina visas. As a US Citizen i dont need to get the visa early. It in on arrival visa.. Is my understanding correct?

Last edited by dfwflyguy; May 25, 12 at 11:07 pm. Reason: Adding more quetions
dfwflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 12, 1:12 am   #11
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Quote:
Also I am not planning on getting a Brazil visa ? Do i need a visa to vist the Iguazu falls ? Thanks for the tip on the argentina visas. As a US Citizen i dont need to get the visa early. It in on arrival visa.. Is my understanding correct?
Once again, it is NOT a visa. It is simply a fee - we (USA) are charged $160 to enter Argentina, because this is what the USA charges Argentines to apply for a US Visa. It is not a visa. It is not a visa. It is an entry fee.

You need a Brazil visa to go to the other side of the falls. Family of 4? $640 for Brazil (plus the hassle of getting the visas) plus $640 for Argentina.

You do not need a visa as a tourist to visit Argentina. You need to pay a fee.
Old May 26, 12, 5:27 am   #12

Programs: AA PLT, BAEC Blue, SPG Gold, Hilton HHonors
Quote:
Thank you all so much for the tips and ideas. I am planning to come during the thankgiving week. It is about 15 days trip. I am hoping to visit the southern and northern parts of Argentina.
The weather is Argentina will be ok during that time .. that is what i heard. Are there any must sees in the southern part of the country?
Are there any trains from Buenos Aries to El Calafate or Ushuaia ? I wanted to see the narutal beauty as well.. Thought the train will be a good option.

Any suggestions ?
There are no train services from Buenos Aires down to Patagonia. There are numerous bus services but the distances are HUGE - from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia you would need to take a bus to Rio Gallegos (approx 38 hour journey) and then connect to another bus to take you to the final 220 miles or so to Ushuaia. Flying is really the only way to go.

Visiting Buenos Aires and the southern and northern parts of Argentina is a lot to pack in to a 15-day trip. You may be better off choosing north or south on this trip otherwise you will be spending a lot of time travelling within Argentina. All air travel goes via Buenos Aires so if you flew Bs As - El Calafate and then wanted to head up north to Mendoza for example you'd have to fly back to Buenos Aires and connect to another flight.
britenbsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 12, 7:19 am   #13
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
Once again, it is NOT a visa. It is simply a fee - we (USA) are charged $160 to enter Argentina, because this is what the USA charges Argentines to apply for a US Visa. It is not a visa. It is not a visa. It is an entry fee.

You need a Brazil visa to go to the other side of the falls. Family of 4? $640 for Brazil (plus the hassle of getting the visas) plus $640 for Argentina.

You do not need a visa as a tourist to visit Argentina. You need to pay a fee.
Oh calm down and stop nitpicking we've got the message.

You're right though any US citizen can get in to Argentina paying the fee whereas not every Argentine can get into the US.

OP.....britenbsas is right you have a lot to squeeze in but it is doable if you've got the cash to pay for flights.....the only sensible way to travel on such long distances. You can use coaches but most travel overnight so you won't see anything and they although very modern and comfortable they are slow.
The weather down south could still be cold so bring some winter clothing.
HIDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 12, 7:41 am   #14
2014 Elections

Programs: Delta DM 0.5MM; H.Honors Diamond,
Quote:
I can book the IGR and FTE segments seperately in orbitz expedia on Airlineos Argentinas also i can only fly out of AEP in buenos aries.
Is there any other option on the flight ?

What do you suggest to visit in IGR and FTE ? I am planning for a 14 day trip . Will that be enough ?
There may be but this was definitely the best way when I did it. AEP is not a bad airport IMHO.

The falls are great from both sides but the Brazillian side is best IMHO. If you go on the Brazillian side try and see the worlds largest (2nd largest now as the Chinese dam has opened) Hydroelectric dam between Brazil and Paraguay.
GRALISTAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 12, 7:46 am   #15
2014 Elections

Programs: Delta DM 0.5MM; H.Honors Diamond,
Since I see you are a Starwood Platinum, The Iguazu Sheraton is absolutley outstanding as is the one in downtown Buenos Aires. I have stopped in them both.
GRALISTAIR is offline   Reply With Quote