Xoom money transfer to Pesos

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Xoom money transfer to Pesos

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2014, 3:02 am
Suspended

Thanks very much for the detailed response. It would be great if you and others could keep us updated on the situation next week, when I guess we will know more about what the government does or does not do.

By this logic, the price of domestic travel packages which are sold overseas (i.e payment collected in foreign exchange), should be going down. However, I have only seen the opposite happening
Old Jan 26, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
I'm heading there Wednesday, wonder if I should lock in some exchanged currency now on Xoom
Old Jan 26, 2014, 8:28 pm

Programs: AC*E35 and decreasing
Originally Posted by FedUp2
By this logic, the price of domestic travel packages which are sold overseas (i.e payment collected in foreign exchange), should be going down. However, I have only seen the opposite happening
There's a long tradition for that. You will never see prices going down in Argentina.

When I was a kid, a typical soccer-stadium insult to the other team was to sing that their team would be champion "el día que las vacas vuelen y en Argentina baje la inflación": the day when cows fly and in Argentina the inflation rate goes down.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:32 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Aegean Air, Cal Alumni (go Bears!)
Blue rate

I just got back from Paraguay and Argentina. I entered Argentina by ferry boat from Asuncion to the port for Clorinda, Arg. I had no pesos but held cash in US$.
The taxi driver from the port to Clorinda town gladly accepted Paraguayan Guarani. As there is no Xoom northeast of Rosario, I had to rely on the Arbolitos. Within 5 minutes in Clorinda (a one horse town), I changed US$300 at about A$10.0 per dollar. I found this to be about the same as Xoom advertised. In every town I went to in the NE, there were arbolitos willing to exchange dollars. Most were little old men in lawn chairs at a busy town corner. I never had a problem with problem currency. However, the newly redesigned US$100 note was not very popular. Some knew of it but few wanted it. This may have changed in the last 30 days as the bill becomes more common.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 4:53 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
In the large cities, the new US$ 100 is perfectly familiar to all those dealing in currency exchange so you will have no issues with it.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
In the large cities, the new US$ 100 is perfectly familiar to all those dealing in currency exchange so you will have no issues with it.
I will vouch for this. In BA I had zero trouble exchanging old or new US$100s. Neither type of bill was looked at more closely than the other.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 8:38 pm

I recall reading in one of these threads recently about a website where one can check the latest blue rate...I searched for it again but could not locate the post. If anyone knows the URL, would you please post it here (or PM me)?

Thanks
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by golmaale
I recall reading in one of these threads recently about a website where one can check the latest blue rate...I searched for it again but could not locate the post. If anyone knows the URL, would you please post it here (or PM me)?

Thanks
http://www.dolarblue.net/
Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:41 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Given the current bid/ask spreads, I think that the rates offered by Xoom, are very useful to keep in mind. Check www.xoom.com and remember to check fees and expenses related to a transaction and the pickup and exchange formalities that must be taken care of.

Also, remember that you may be offered different exchange rates depending on your location, day and time of your trade, size of transaction, denomination and state of your US$ cash, pickup and delivery service or not, etc. etc. etc.

And, I say again.... remember that the widely published rate is the peso amount you have to offer to BUY US Dollars.... most visitors are on the other side of the transaction and should manage their expectations accordingly.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 3:17 pm

Is Libertad 1057 still the only place (of the 18 listed) to pick up money from XOOM in Buenos Aires? Also, any bank holidays or reasons I wouldn't be able to get my money on the 26th or 27th?
Old Jun 24, 2014, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by silam
Is Libertad 1057 still the only place (of the 18 listed) to pick up money from XOOM in Buenos Aires? Also, any bank holidays or reasons I wouldn't be able to get my money on the 26th or 27th?
There are no planned holidays this week, but the Unions related to the Banking industry have been announcing possible measures for this Friday. Its unclear how affected the supply of cash will be and the strike may actually be aborted before that, but there has been talk of this for a few days now.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 4:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Is Libertad 1057 still the only place (of the 18 listed) to pick up money from XOOM in Buenos Aires?
YES.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 9:55 am

If you contact MoreMoney (xoom's only arg partner) directly they can answer all your questions, and probably arrange a pick-up at any of their locations.

I have recently been communicating with them (in English) because I was not able to pick up a past transfer. Now I will visit a location in the south of the country to complete the pickup. Through past visits I have come to realize that any advance notice of my arrival makes things easier in the MoreMoney office. Keep in mind that depending on the amount of your transfer, they may still ask for additional paperwork and perhaps confirmation of the USA bank account statement.

[email protected]
http://www.moreargentina.com.ar/Contacto.aspx
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

RIA https://www.riamoneytransfer.com/ seems to offer a much better rate than xoom for ARS. Has anyone tried RIA?
Old Aug 1, 2014, 5:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
RIA Money Transfer

Interesting, I had never heard of RIA. I ran across this old Consumer Reports article, they seem legit.

CR: Sending Money Abroad (March 2012)

I, too, would like to hear from anyone who has had personal experience with RIA. If nothing else, they have many more locations around the capital to pick up money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.