Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Where to go in Argentina in August? Open to ideas.

Old May 27, 2015, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA

Hey all, I've got 8 nights in Argentina in August.
I have been to Bs As five times, Iguazu twice, and Colonia in Uruguay twice. Don't need to go to any of those again. Rosario once.
While I love Buenos Aires, I was there in March this year and so don't need to spend much time there. I actually loved Rosario-- had some great food, met friendly people, it has a beautiful riverfront for jogging, an old town with good shopping.
With that in mind, what other medium-sized cities can you recommend in Argentina? I don't need to go to tourist places; in fact, I like to be in places where you can get a good "feel" of a country (I prefer Rotterdam to Amsterdam, Chicago over Los Angeles, etc).
Here are some parameters-- if Cordoba and Tucuman are nice, that's a bonus:
1) I see the Holiday Inn Cordoba is on Point Breaks now, could stay a few nights free there.
2) Hilton Garden Inn Tucuman is only 5K points/night, so also see that as a possibility.
3) I have plenty of BA and AA points for free flights using LAN. Also open to bus and train or a combination.
Will likely spend the weekend in BsAs after the flight down, just to recuperate and then will be ready to go.

So: Favorite smaller cities, and why you like them. GO!

I'd really appreciate it!
Thanks in advance.
Old May 27, 2015, 7:32 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
If you liked Rosario you'll probably like Crdoba, which in my opinion is more beautiful. It has a nice old town (with some Unesco World Heritage buildings), shopping, and since it's a university city it also has many bars and clubs. Plus there are many small towns near the city that make good day trips.

Tucumn is not a great city. It's smaller than Crdoba and Rosario, and quite run down and chaotic. It has some nice surroundings (San Javier) but most of the nice places are further away, thus requiring more time than just a day trip.

May I suggest you consider Salta, which has a nice colonial old town and many attractions nearby. Since it's a very touristic place, lots of tour operators can arrange trips from there. Crdoba, in that regard, is not so touristic, so you'll have to rely on public transportation or rent a car.
Old May 28, 2015, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
You can add Mendoza too
Old May 28, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
I'd go with Salta. Or Brazil
Old May 29, 2015, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by SoFlyOn
I'd go with Salta. Or Brazil
Thanks for all the replies. I have to say LOL about Brazil-- I do LOVE Brazil... I have been doing more vacations there in the past few years; I guess part of is that, after 5x seeing Buenos Aires, it's definitely in decline; even the food on the past few trips seems to have fallen in quality, which is no surprise considering the horrible economy. Quality ingredients seem less commonly used. Of course you can still find good food in BsAs, I just seem to remember how easy it was to find amazing meals there, while now you do have to do your homework a bit more.
That said, I did really like Rosario. So maybe a trip with Rosario and Cordoba?
I could take the bus from BsAs to Rosario, then fly ROS-COR, and COR-AEP.

As for Brazil: Amazingly I'm still considering just arriving into EZE, and taking a later flight that day (or the next) to Rio, (where I've only been for New Year), or Belo Horizonte, Curitiba, etc.
Old May 29, 2015, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by kyushuman
That said, I did really like Rosario. So maybe a trip with Rosario and Cordoba?
I could take the bus from BsAs to Rosario, then fly ROS-COR, and COR-AEP.
I would fly ROS-COR only if the fare was ridiculously cheap or if, for some reason, you only consider flying. Both cities are 400km apart and connected through a very good motorway. A coach will take 6 hours or less versus some 4 hours if flying, considering getting to the airport, check-in, flight time, disembarking, etc. So while the coach takes a little longer, it's usually much cheaper. The coach stations at Rosario and Crdoba are quite central, whilst airports are far away and taxis tend to be expensive, especially in Crdoba, where they have a special (more expensive) fare for airport-downtown trips.
Old May 29, 2015, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Marambio
I would fly ROS-COR only if the fare was ridiculously cheap or if, for some reason, you only consider flying. Both cities are 400km apart and connected through a very good motorway. A coach will take 6 hours or less versus some 4 hours if flying, considering getting to the airport, check-in, flight time, disembarking, etc. So while the coach takes a little longer, it's usually much cheaper. The coach stations at Rosario and Crdoba are quite central, whilst airports are far away and taxis tend to be expensive, especially in Crdoba, where they have a special (more expensive) fare for airport-downtown trips.
It's only $86 for the OW ticket, while bus is around $30-ish. I have done the 3.5 hour bus from Retiro to Rosario, and it was pretty painless; good to know that the airports are far from town!
Is there anything interesting in between the two cities?
Old May 29, 2015, 3:50 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Do you like winter sports....???
Old May 29, 2015, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

For someone who grew up in Wisconsin and now lives in Minnesota (both snowy!), I am not really into winter sports, though I don't mind cold weather and love snow.
Old May 29, 2015, 9:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
COW DO in Buenos Aires. Don't miss it.

BTW have you found any good RT fares (ideally discounted business class) from MSP to EZE?
Old May 29, 2015, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
COW DO in Buenos Aires. Don't miss it.

BTW have you found any good RT fares (ideally discounted business class) from MSP to EZE?
Nope, no cheap tickets ex-MSP, almost ever. Thanks DL!
Actually I have been buying ex-AMS tickets to South America that allow stops in MSP both directions for around US$950 for summer departure, $725 for winter!
Old May 30, 2015, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by kyushuman
It's only $86 for the OW ticket, while bus is around $30-ish. I have done the 3.5 hour bus from Retiro to Rosario, and it was pretty painless; good to know that the airports are far from town!
Is there anything interesting in between the two cities?
Nope. Pure pampa, flatlands full of crops and some cows. Quite similar to the landscape you saw from Buenos Aires to Rosario but with less population density. The only "big" city between Rosario and Crdoba is Villa Mara (roughly 100,000 inhabitants), without any touristic or historic relevance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.