Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America > Argentina
Sign in using an external account

Old Oct 5, 11, 11:34 am   #1

Programs: AA EXP - 4 MM | Amex Platinum
Anyone carried on LCD TV on carry on?

It's been a while since I've carried any electronics to Argentina. Has anyone carried on an LCD TV on their carry on bag before? Is it allowed through security? If not, I know people have brought LCD TV's in checked luggage. I talked to some people in the past that brought in 32' LCD TV's that were $300 or less and showed the receipts to the customs agents to avoid extra taxes.

Has anyone done this recently?
Old Oct 5, 11, 2:14 pm   #2

Programs: UA 1K MM
I've only ever bought an LCD in checked baggage. I declared it at aduana at EZE without a problem (it was less than US$300). Something as big as a 32" even in checked baggage is probably going to be oversize considering the protective packing that will be necessary.

I can't see any problem with having one as carryon baggage at security in the US, but you won't be able to transport a screen onto the plane that exceeds carryon dimensions.
Old Oct 5, 11, 6:35 pm   #3

Thanks for taking the time to post Soflyon. Just out of curiosity, how big was the LCD TV you checked in? I was just worried about possible damage even packing it well if I checked it in.
Old Oct 5, 11, 7:33 pm   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint View Post
Thanks for taking the time to post Soflyon. Just out of curiosity, how big was the LCD TV you checked in? I was just worried about possible damage even packing it well if I checked it in.
Mine was only 24", which I removed from the original box. I kept the expanded polystyrene corners on and protected the front/back with thin plywood.

I picked up a used soft-sided piece of luggage at Goodwill (at the maximum size for checked baggage without oversize fees). I filled the remaining spaces with foam so the LCD was essentially floating inside. I could probably have gone to perhaps 28", but not as big as 32". Soft sided luggage has the advantage in that the corners are only slightly contoured.

It's much easier if you get an LCD which has a detachable stand so it doesn't take up so much space. You can get a reasonable estimate of the packed size of course by measuring the box size it comes packed in - before you order it online.

Last edited by SoFlyOn; Oct 6, 11 at 12:17 am..
SoFlyOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 11, 10:19 am   #5
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Please remember to have your purchase receipt handy... this will get attention from EZE Customs and you may have to pay duty if you are over US$400 limit.
Old Oct 6, 11, 10:24 am   #6

If you are prepared to pay oversize fees, you can bring in a 55" as checked baggage, as detailed here:
http://www.argentinepost.com/2010/06...argentina.html

The customs agents have a good idea of what stuff like this costs in the US, so as Alex mentions above, have your receipt handy!
Old Oct 6, 11, 11:35 am   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlyOn View Post
If you are prepared to pay oversize fees, you can bring in a 55" as checked baggage, as detailed here:
http://www.argentinepost.com/2010/06...argentina.html

The customs agents have a good idea of what stuff like this costs in the US, so as Alex mentions above, have your receipt handy!
I wonder if it would be smart to get supplemental insurance for one of these...? What does a 55-60 inch LED cost in the USA these days..???
Old Oct 6, 11, 1:28 pm   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K View Post
What does a 55-60 inch LED cost in the USA these days..???
Starting at about 1K, more for 3D of course. Hey don't get any ideas!
Old Oct 6, 11, 2:41 pm   #9
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Quote:
I wonder if it would be smart to get supplemental insurance for one of these...? What does a 55-60 inch LED cost in the USA these days..???
You could take a day trip to SCL - Paris and Falabella have 50"+ LEDs in the $700.000 range.
Old Oct 6, 11, 4:07 pm   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
We were looking at them in Costco in Vancouver.

An LG seemed to cost about 2/3 of what they cost here. Not worth the hassle to be honest.
HIDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 11, 1:06 am   #11

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I used to live in Buenos Aires for many years and I'd carry in laptops all the time and other electronics but never LCD TV's. But the price difference is pretty obscene with all the taxes. A new 32' LCD TV down in Buenos Aires is still around $900 US and you can get these in the USA in some sales for $250 or less.

I recently moved out of Buenos Aires and loving the cheap electronics in the USA. How I missed that living in Buenos Aires. Thanks again!
Old Oct 7, 11, 6:00 pm   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
You could take a day trip to SCL - Paris and Falabella have 50"+ LEDs in the $700.000 range.
Interesting.... can you get Samsung Series 9 LED units in Santiago...??
Old Oct 7, 11, 7:27 pm   #13
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Quote:
Interesting.... can you get Samsung Series 9 LED units in Santiago...??
I have no idea. All I know is how disturbing it was to see the same crappy refrigerator in Chile for 1/3 to 1/2 less than I paid in Argentina. Same with other items.
Old Oct 10, 11, 2:04 pm   #14

Programs: AA - BA
I bought 2 LCD/HDTV (as checked baggage), one 37" on Dic 2007 for my mom and one 32" on June 2010 for my cousin.
The first time I had to paid $150 (oversize baggage charge) + $200 in fees (Aduana). Last year I measured every single 32" HDTV box that I found on BrandsMartUSA and BestBuy , I didn't want to pay another $150 for oversize fees, I found a Sony Bravia with just 64" (62" linear is the limit).
When I wen to the airport, the didn't measure the box (maybe because I have gold status?) but I'm sure they now that a 32" LCD is just 62~70"

I always use the original box, put some clothes inside and pay for the baggage wrap protection from the airport, add your name and few FRAGILE/FRAGIL stickers and that's all, if I have a problem, just complain to the airline/securewrap/Amex

If you want to buy a 26" HDTV (IMO the perfect size for a bedroom) get 2, most boxes are 27x21x7 (55" linear), two boxes will be 27x21x14 .
fedechat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 11, 4:03 pm   #15

Programs: DL DM/MM, HH Diamond
I have used a garment bag to bring a 32" LCD to Argentina, which worked quite well. Just wrapped a bath towel around the unpacked LCD, and folded the garment bag over it. No issues with security or the airline, nor even aduana on arrival. I have also put them in a hard shell suitcase as checked luggage without issue.

The price difference on TV's and computer monitors (pretty much the same thing now) is indeed ridiculous, and is why I have been a mule for 6 of them in just the last 18 months, keeping all the family happy...