Anyone carried on LCD TV on carry on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone carried on LCD TV on carry on?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2011, 7:23 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
The reason Im surprised is that I guess that your phone system would not work in the US then.... Ive brought over tons of cordless systems bought in the USA and they all work here.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
The reason Im surprised is that I guess that your phone system would not work in the US then.....
I guess not, same with the TV's.

Like you I thought it would just be a simple case of exchanging the UK connecting jack for an Argentine one....sadly it wasn't. I know nothing about telecoms so I have no idea what the difference is to be honest. No idea if it's the wiring or the relay system.

This has spurred me on to looking it out again and giving it another try and maybe get the thoughts of a different telecom engineer. I suspect it'll end up with the same result though. I wonder why the UK handsets are so thin compared to the ones you get here.....the answer to that question might contain the reason why mine don't work.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by saint
It's been a while since I've carried any electronics to Argentina. Has anyone carried on an LCD TV on their carry on bag before? Is it allowed through security? If not, I know people have brought LCD TV's in checked luggage. I talked to some people in the past that brought in 32' LCD TV's that were $300 or less and showed the receipts to the customs agents to avoid extra taxes.

Has anyone done this recently?
I'd like to know the same thing... we are thinking about bringing two 32" LCD TVs to Brazil as checked luggage. The box size is about 69" each, I am hoping they will make it without being considered oversized. Our initial flight is an American Eagle flight from San Jose to Los Angeles and then the bags get transferred to Korean Air. If this is definitely going to get tagged as oversize, should I strap/shrinkwrap the two boxes together as one large "bag"? (Still under 80") Korean Air apparently has a policy of NO bags over 62" (not even oversize) but since they're being transferred, hopefully that won't be an issue either.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 6:14 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chris76
I'd like to know the same thing... we are thinking about bringing two 32" LCD TVs to Brazil as checked luggage. The box size is about 69" each, I am hoping they will make it without being considered oversized. Our initial flight is an American Eagle flight from San Jose to Los Angeles and then the bags get transferred to Korean Air. If this is definitely going to get tagged as oversize, should I strap/shrinkwrap the two boxes together as one large "bag"? (Still under 80") Korean Air apparently has a policy of NO bags over 62" (not even oversize) but since they're being transferred, hopefully that won't be an issue either.
Hmmm.... maybe try your questions on the Brazil and Korean Air forums, instead of Argentina?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 4:57 am

LCD feed "compatibility"

Just to clarify: so there's no problem with compatibility with the Cablevision if I bring a new LCD from the US?

I'm assuming the power input is 120/220 so it just needs and adapter, not a transformer?

thanks.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 5:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Originally Posted by Carberry
Just to clarify: so there's no problem with compatibility with the Cablevision if I bring a new LCD from the US?

I'm assuming the power input is 120/220 so it just needs and adapter, not a transformer?

thanks.
You should be OK with Cablevision or DirectTV. Check the tech specs of the model to make sure it's 120/220 V, 50/60 Hz capable (you should be able to download the manual).
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:54 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Im sure Direct TV will be OK.... but not so sure about CableVision. John, are you experienced with the CV signal on non Pal monitors...??
Old Nov 15, 2011, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Im sure Direct TV will be OK.... but not so sure about CableVision. John, are you experienced with the CV signal on non Pal monitors...??
Alex, Cablevision HD is not PAL-N (that's the standard for OTC broadcasts).

Two expats have brought HDTVs from the US for use in Argentina with Cablevision HD:
http://www.argentinepost.com/2010/06...argentina.html
http://www.discoverbuenosaires.com/b...d-to-argentina

You'll be wanting the 55" model at least! Maybe I can bring you the LEGO version
Old Nov 16, 2011, 1:36 am

The HD channels I knew about.... but its the normal non HD content that Im worried about.... remember that most of the signals are still not HD here. Unless you buy a tuner and the special antenna then you can get more signals on HD but that takes additional gear....
Old Nov 16, 2011, 5:31 am

Programs: AA, Delta, US Air, UR, Hilton, PC
If you have Cablevision Digital service, then all you need to do is hook up the HDMI cable to the LCD you brought from the States. You'll get every channel. Mine has been working great for over a year.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:36 am

Thanks for the info. I don't have Cablevision digtal - just regular. So it may be an issue. Have to look into it.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Carberry
Thanks for the info. I don't have Cablevision digtal - just regular. So it may be an issue. Have to look into it.
You need to have digital cable and a TV with a QAM tuner (most TVs sold in the US since 2006 have an integrated QAM tuner).
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
The QAM tuner will not work because the digital signal is encrypted. Only the open channel will work.

The analog signal from CV is NTSC but the analog signal from Multicanal (now CV) can be PAL-N, that's why some people have problems in some areas.

If you have a digital box without hdmi, you will have to use the coax cable (ch 3 or 4) or rca cable (audioLR+video) which is analog signal. Few HDTV are NTSC-PAL when you use video input (rca).

If you don't have a digital box and you want to use a HDTV, check with your actual CRT Tv (most old tv are multi-zone PAL-N, PAL-M and NTSC), select NTSC and if you can watch anyprogram, then your analog signal is NTSC
Old Nov 30, 2011, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Just FYI, the good folks @ EZE Aduana this morning must have been extra vigilant. The lines were the longest and slowest I've ever seen.

Last edited by argflyer; Nov 30, 2011 at 1:52 pm Reason: I didn't add my comment
Old Nov 30, 2011, 2:02 pm

I flew into EZE in Sept(10th trip in 2 years) and was amazed at the lines and the hassle I had to go through.
They scanned every piece of luggage and were just looking for laptops and tablets. I had 2 (one for work and one for home) that I did not put on my AFIP paper because I wasn't leaving them there. mistake! I didn't realize that they wanted them listed no matter what.
They told me that I had to bring the laptops back to terminal C and show them that I was actually leaving with them or I would get a bill in the mail for $2500 USD in 2 months. I couldn't get into the terminal to show them when I left.
Still no bill in the mail but does anyone know if they can really bill me? They took the paper that had my passport number on it and put it in the stack of at least 200 other papers.
I wasn't the only one that was caught off gaurd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.