Search

Taxi Fares in Buenos Aires

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2015, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
No fight about turning on the meter?
If you are already worried about these issues, perhaps La Argentina isn't the destination for you.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
When I go to a new city and I am not sure about taxis, I always pay a little more and just take the "most reputable" car service into town. Even if I pay more, it is worth it and the reality is that spending a few more dollars on a expensive trip does not make it or break it.

I would highly recommend you check out Tienda Leon. For years they have been the leader in care service and it is well worth the extra money you will pay.

And some healthy skepticism about a new country is totally acceptable. It does not mean that Argentina is not for you.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: Free agent!
No, not at all. Let me also say that I am a native of Hong Kong, so there's no way that I could enter a taxi and have someone mistake me as a native of Argentina for a single moment. I only bring that up because even for an obvious non-native, I had no bother in any way with the taxis, no scams, no arguments over the meter, etc.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:43 am
Suspended

Well, it turns out to be super simple:
  1. On the street, waive down a black and yellow radio taxi with the red sign "libre".
  2. Get in the car and say where you wanna go.
  3. Drivers turn on meter (above front passenger seat) and off you go.
Old May 3, 2015, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by pvdecastro
Just go to one of the car boots when you arrive. I´ve used Tienda Leon numerous times and can recommend. They take all major CC.

http://www.tiendaleon.com/home/
I arrive at AEP after a long series of flights from the UK on a complicated but reassuringly cheap ticket.

I'm guessing the easiest, hassle-free way to get my tired body to its hotel is credit card and a car service, rather than changing money and standing in line for a taxi. Have I got this right?
Old May 4, 2015, 3:52 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I arrive at AEP after a long series of flights from the UK on a complicated but reassuringly cheap ticket.

I'm guessing the easiest, hassle-free way to get my tired body to its hotel is credit card and a car service, rather than changing money and standing in line for a taxi. Have I got this right?
Yes, although its not the most cost effective. Not sure there is still time for you to make alternative arrangements, but please feel free to PM me if you need assistance with this.

Cheers,
Alex / Gaucho100K
Old Jun 3, 2015, 6:46 am

Taxis at ferry terminals

I haven't read through the whole thread in case somebody already mentioned this: If you arrive by ferry from Uruguay at the Buquebus terminal taxi drivers will try to rip you off and demand 5-8 times as much as the meter price. Walk 100 m into Av. Cordoba, stop a free taxi, and watch him turn on the meter without any problem.
It's probably the same at the southern terminal although I would not recommend walking 100 m from there at night.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 11:26 am

Does anyone know if there are ATMs at the cruise terminal? Are they reliable (i.e. not often out-of-order), and do they take most ATM cards (Cirrus, Plus, Interlink networks)?
Old Jun 8, 2015, 3:55 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
Does anyone know if there are ATMs at the cruise terminal? Are they reliable (i.e. not often out-of-order), and do they take most ATM cards (Cirrus, Plus, Interlink networks)?
Cant comment on the actual ATMs at this location as Ive never been to the Cruise Terminal... If they are operatinoal, they will take pretty much all card types, Cirrus and Plus will surely be accepted. BUT remember that ATM usage will yield you the official exchange rate for your hard currency. If you wish to take advantage of the dual exchange situation, you will need to bring cash and/or find another "structured" solution. Xoom is one such option.

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Jun 8, 2015 at 4:02 pm Reason: add information
Old Jun 9, 2015, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Cant comment on the actual ATMs at this location as Ive never been to the Cruise Terminal... If they are operatinoal, they will take pretty much all card types, Cirrus and Plus will surely be accepted. BUT remember that ATM usage will yield you the official exchange rate for your hard currency. If you wish to take advantage of the dual exchange situation, you will need to bring cash and/or find another "structured" solution. Xoom is one such option.
Thanks for the info. Last year, I was in Buenos Aires and was able to take advantage of the dolar blue rate by exchanging USD at one of the many arbolitos on Calle Florida.

This time I'll be going directly from the cruise terminal to Aeroparque for a domestic flight to IGU.

Not familiar with Xoom. I'll PM you.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Both Banelco and Link (the two ATM networks in Argentina) take Cirrus, Plus, American Express et. al. Not sure if there is an ATM in the terminal de cruceros but there are plenty at AEP.

Where are you coming from? If you can get ARS in Brazil or Chile, the rate available there usually matches the blue in Buenos Aires. Much better than the official rate you'll get at the Buenos Aires ATM.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Marambio
Both Banelco and Link (the two ATM networks in Argentina) take Cirrus, Plus, American Express et. al. Not sure if there is an ATM in the terminal de cruceros but there are plenty at AEP.

Where are you coming from? If you can get ARS in Brazil or Chile, the rate available there usually matches the blue in Buenos Aires. Much better than the official rate you'll get at the Buenos Aires ATM.
Good idea! I'll be stopping in a number of Brazilian towns - this is primarily an Amazon cruise - as well as Montevideo just prior to arrival in Buenos Aires.

While in Brazil or Montevideo, can I exchange USD into Argentinian pesos and still get a good rate? Or do I need to convert Brazilian pesos into Argentinian pesos in order to get the good rate? (Last year, I was in Castro/Chiloe and converted some Chilean pesos into Argentinian pesos at a cambio, and the rate was in between the official rate and the dolar blue rate.)
Old Jun 9, 2015, 2:08 pm

Good idea! I'll be stopping in a number of Brazilian towns - this is primarily an Amazon cruise - as well as Montevideo just prior to arrival in Buenos Aires.

While in Brazil or Montevideo, can I exchange USD into Argentinian pesos and still get a good rate? Or do I need to convert Brazilian pesos into Argentinian pesos in order to get the good rate? (Last year, I was in Castro/Chiloe and converted some Chilean pesos into Argentinian pesos at a cambio, and the rate was in between the official rate and the dolar blue rate.)
I have changed USD into ARS in Montevideo, I'm sure it can be done the other way around. The rate will be probably lower than the blue in Buenos Aires but much better than the official rate anyway. Since you don't have much time in Buenos Aires to begin with, I would go for this option.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Marambio
I have changed USD into ARS in Montevideo, I'm sure it can be done the other way around. The rate will be probably lower than the blue in Buenos Aires but much better than the official rate anyway. Since you don't have much time in Buenos Aires to begin with, I would go for this option.
Sounds good. I'll do this in Montevideo - do I go into a cambio? (I suppose this is not like on Calle Florida in Buenos Aires, where you are approached by touts on the street and then led into a back office nearby, right?)

I'll also look into converting Brazilian pesos into ARS while in Brazil.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 3:40 pm

Sounds good. I'll do this in Montevideo - do I go into a cambio? (I suppose this is not like on Calle Florida in Buenos Aires, where you are approached by touts on the street and then led into a back office nearby, right?)

I'll also look into converting Brazilian pesos into ARS while in Brazil.
Aye, just get into a cambio office and they will do it. I did it in Cambio Bacacay at the corner of Florida and Sarandí, but I'm sure any cambio will be fine with that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.